Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:16:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 903300 times)
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8400 on: August 03, 2016, 08:10:24 AM »

ill wait until its on steam, just like every third party vita game
yeah, i think when that happens it'll grab the biggest western audience it's ever had.
New Shiren? Why was I not informed?
Is the dungeon layout more interesting yet? That always seemed like the weakest point of the series
yyyyyeah not really. the item and enemy interactions are still the star here. the minesweeper mode does a fun thing with dungeon layout i guess.

Andy@TCS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8401 on: August 04, 2016, 03:56:18 PM »

Finally found a copy of Eternal Darkness. I've never been a huge fan of horror games, but I have to say, this game is fantastic. The combat is simple but fun, the story is pretty interesting, and the animation is surprisingly good. The thing that's blown my most, oddly enough coming from a video game, is the cinematography. I've never seen a game use cinematography so well with its gameplay. The game gets the effect of a jumpscare without actually having one by angling the camera in a way that you won't see enemies until they're right by you. Also, it sounds silly, but I was really impressed by a segment early in the game when you're walking down a hallway with the camera looking directly at the player. You can't see what's ahead, but you can hear enemies. It does a good job of creating a sense of dread.

Also, how can I forget one of the major things this game is known for: the sanity effects. Going in, I knew about the effects that go meta and do stuff like say your disc is corrupted. While thinking this was a cool idea, I also thought I would find them kinda lame. I was pleasantly surprised to find that most of the sanity effects are less obvious, and actually mesh with the game quite well. There was one time that I legitimately didn't know a sanity effect was happening. Not to mention, a lot of them are actually pretty creepy.

I'm about a third of the way through the game now, and I look forward to playing the rest once I get caught up on dev-work
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: August 04, 2016, 06:29:49 PM »

What blow me away in that game is the character actually reacting to small scare like abruptly looking at the torches when it sparks

Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8403 on: August 05, 2016, 01:31:40 AM »

Also, how can I forget one of the major things this game is known for: the sanity effects. Going in, I knew about the effects that go meta and do stuff like say your disc is corrupted. While thinking this was a cool idea, I also thought I would find them kinda lame. I was pleasantly surprised to find that most of the sanity effects are less obvious, and actually mesh with the game quite well. There was one time that I legitimately didn't know a sanity effect was happening. Not to mention, a lot of them are actually pretty creepy.

Honestly, I almost had an aneurysm when the "Thanks for playing the Eternal Darkness Demo" screen popped up. I thought I was scammed, or something.

Although, the sanity effects are one of the reasons that I really wish this game had a sequel. I mean, they were really amazing but it got kind of annoying that they mostly triggered when you entered a room, and once you got through all of them they came off as predictable. I get the feeling it was done this way for technical reasons. Not sure for a fact but it's a hunch. It would be really cool to see if the concept could be done in a way where the hallucinations could absolutely strike at any time and place.
and0
Level 0

I do things and translate stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8404 on: August 05, 2016, 07:38:44 AM »

Honestly, I almost had an aneurysm when the "Thanks for playing the Eternal Darkness Demo" screen popped up. I thought I was scammed, or something.

Although, the sanity effects are one of the reasons that I really wish this game had a sequel. I mean, they were really amazing but it got kind of annoying that they mostly triggered when you entered a room, and once you got through all of them they came off as predictable. I get the feeling it was done this way for technical reasons. Not sure for a fact but it's a hunch. It would be really cool to see if the concept could be done in a way where the hallucinations could absolutely strike at any time and place.

Man, I finally need to play that game. I'm always scared to look up the price though.

Also, regarding a sequel/remake/successor: Imagine how much they could fuck you up with VR support.

I got pink cats with jetpacks right here.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: August 05, 2016, 08:06:23 AM »

what's even scarier are denis dyack's internet shenanigans.
Andy@TCS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8406 on: August 05, 2016, 01:07:47 PM »

what's even scarier are denis dyack's internet shenanigans.

Is he even still around? I thought the industry already ran him out of town a long time ago
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: August 05, 2016, 01:16:15 PM »

still trying to get his kickstarter off the ground lol
PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8408 on: August 05, 2016, 01:17:55 PM »

Ori and the blind forest! I loves it

Twitter: @pbergmar
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8409 on: August 05, 2016, 02:55:38 PM »

Max Payne 3 is pretty great.

The game is mechanically the best entry in the series, although I haven't played enough to know if it's the best Max Payne game (for me it's the second game, in the meantime). The cover system works well and slowing down time by jumping in any direction (which was present in the first game but not in the second) or when simply walking feels great. The only thing it bothers me is during a moment where the game permits the player to continue alive by shooting down the enemy that fired the "killing" shot, there's no option to change weapon in these moments, so if you get out of bullets, it's a death sentence.

Nice visuals too—great models, animations, effects, use of colors, but I don't get the key phrases that appear in cutscenes (like, something is said in a cutscene, and then a text like "SOMETHING" stays in the screen for a second), I think it looks silly. At first I thought the use of chromatic aberration was overused in cutscenes, but as I played I felt it expressed the protagonist's state, so the motif behind the effect made me like it.

Haven't heard much of its music yet, but Rockstar games usually have a great soundtrack, and the few tracks I heard were pretty nice.

I'm liking the plot so far. The setting is São Paulo, where Payne works as a bodyguard for a rich Brazilian family while trying to cope with his past, trying to leave it once and for all. The game exposes large-scale corruption and the rampant inequality in São Paulo, where people living in extreme poverty inside the favelas are scorned by the upper class that lives in the same city. From what I read, Rockstar got a couple of things wrong about São Paulo, and they hired Portuguese voice actors (which explains why the characters sounded so off to me…), which is a shame. Still, it's a good plot.

I don't know how the multiplayer is.

Overall this game is really nice.

Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8410 on: August 05, 2016, 05:34:10 PM »

I've been playing the original SNES Clocktower recently. Brilliant utterly bizarre game.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8411 on: August 05, 2016, 11:08:16 PM »

haha lol
https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/761087936037130241
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: August 06, 2016, 01:25:25 AM »

i have no idea what a "kenka bancho otome" is and tbh, i don't want to know.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: August 06, 2016, 10:15:05 AM »

little king's story (one of the best wii games) just got a pc port. thankfully it's a port of the wii original and not the piss awful vita remake. unfortunately from what i've heard the port is glitchy and has performance issues, so im wary about getting it.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8414 on: August 06, 2016, 02:31:35 PM »

I bought Intersection https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45754.160;topicseen Yesterday and damn it's good. Puzzle thing where you move across 2 platformer levels at once.

bittwyst
Level 1

Twitter: @bittwyst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8415 on: August 06, 2016, 03:28:27 PM »

Zelda A Link To The Past, Guru Logic Champ, and The Binding of Isaac.
That should be pretty much all bases covered.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8416 on: August 07, 2016, 01:53:06 PM »

woo, mansions of madness is getting a redesign and it's fully co-op and app driven: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/3118989/mansions-madness-second-edition

i always stayed away from that game because i heard it had balancing issues and also i hate one vs many board games, so this is basically a godsend.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8417 on: August 10, 2016, 09:21:42 AM »

great news for those of you following my playings: i finally got around to beating 999! i didn't get all of the endings, but i did get the true one, and boy was that last puzzle a doozy!!! it's a very silly game but i liked it enough to 1) beat it at all 2) play it more than once and 3) immediately start playing virtue's last reward. so that's something! they've already fixed my problems with text advancement in VLR so that should go a little smoother.

i also decided the other day that it was a good idea to play link's awakening again. i still like that game a lot! i'm constantly surprised by how big and fleshed-out it is for a GB game. i'm about halfway through and will probably finish in the next month or so, haha.

but now i have no man's sky, which will likely keep me occupied for a good while. i picked the atlas route because religious space pilgrimages are cool

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8418 on: August 10, 2016, 09:48:14 AM »

in the past two weeks i beat

paper mario for the n64

and tokyo mirage sessions

now im playing persona 3 portable

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW