Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:37:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 903201 times)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8720 on: May 22, 2017, 04:05:34 PM »

I do remember blood used a different enough engine that they could stack sectors on top of each other. Outside of that, I don't know.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #8721 on: May 22, 2017, 04:46:38 PM »

Isn't this was in duke nukem already as that was how it differentiate with doom?

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #8722 on: May 22, 2017, 11:37:05 PM »

Blood used a later version of the engine which had more advanced Room Over Room implementation among other things which presents a significant stumbling block to getting it to run in existing source ports. Even the closest thing we had before BloodGDX, which is BloodCM, a valiant effort to recreate Blood using Eduke32 (by the same author!) still didn't feel exactly like Blood despite the extended abilities of that engine. Blood has a specific feel and BCM feels like a mod for DN3D (which it essentially is) rather than actual Blood but it was previously the best way that people allergic to using DOSBox had to experience the game.

My biggest sticking point with BCM was that dynamite didn't act in exactly the same way, which is like the best weapon in the game even better than the sawed off, but by far the biggest downside of BCM was that you couldn't load user maps on it something that BGDX has no problem with. I've only had one crash playing through Death Wish which I got around by not using the weapon that was causing it on a specific section of one map. You know that phrase "what a time to be alive", this is exactly that.
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8723 on: May 23, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »

I really really need to learn to focus on a single game...  WTF

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8724 on: May 23, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »

Blood used a later version of the engine which had more advanced Room Over Room implementation among other things which presents a significant stumbling block to getting it to run in existing source ports.
Is there article about the tech?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8725 on: May 23, 2017, 01:14:38 PM »

Keeping the spirit of Keiji Inafune's "Mega Magnum Opus", Mighty Numero Nove alive.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #8726 on: May 23, 2017, 04:32:52 PM »

Is there article about the tech?
I've heard that it's in the archives somewhere in a place called the Internet.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8727 on: May 23, 2017, 07:35:34 PM »

If you had a link Sad Blood return all sort of gross stuff you know

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8728 on: May 24, 2017, 01:23:28 AM »

So the version of the engine used by Blood was modified by the devs themselves rather than created by 3D realms (or apogee or w/e their name was at the time)?
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #8729 on: May 24, 2017, 03:32:00 AM »

As I understand it they worked with the guy who wrote the engine so it was a joint effort but it's still the next official version of the engine. I imagine that Ken Silverman has a history of his work on his site which probably goes into it in more detail.

Interesting tidbit: 3D Realms was originally going to be the publisher until the studio that was working on the game was acquired by Monolith and they took it to GT Interactive.
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8730 on: May 24, 2017, 06:42:51 AM »

Keeping the spirit of Keiji Inafune's "Mega Magnum Opus", Mighty Numero Nove alive.

More like "I backed the Kickstarter but still haven't got around to finishing the game"  Concerned

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8731 on: May 25, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »

Isn't this was in duke nukem already as that was how it differentiate with doom?

No I don't believe so. I did a ton of custom mapping for duke3d and I recall not being able to do that and hearing later versions of build supported the feature.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8732 on: May 26, 2017, 09:01:49 AM »

I dudn't mean true ROR like in blood hence why I asked a technical link to blood. But I thought there was a trick where you had staircase and corner to hide a seamless teleporting of the player, with windows that duplicate a view in another scene to maintain teh illusion.

cathy121
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8733 on: May 30, 2017, 06:13:23 AM »

The legend of heroes - trails in the sky
The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8734 on: May 31, 2017, 02:33:20 AM »

I'm not playing anything! -- I'm a man of action.

Just kidding. I was created and solely responsible for playing videogames. That's right, I've been playing Mad Max on the Playstation 4 entertainment system and am really mad and angry about all of the people upset it had too much driving. It's a good time! You can be gruff, handsome, and well manscaped even in the apocalyptic fantasy desert.

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8735 on: May 31, 2017, 04:40:32 PM »

I dudn't mean true ROR like in blood hence why I asked a technical link to blood. But I thought there was a trick where you had staircase and corner to hide a seamless teleporting of the player, with windows that duplicate a view in another scene to maintain teh illusion.

Oh that I'm not sure. Maybe? If so I wasn't aware.

pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8736 on: June 01, 2017, 03:09:26 AM »

Oh that I'm not sure. Maybe? If so I wasn't aware.

Teleporters and duplicate windows sounds like stuff you could do in the first Build engine (earliest Duke3D releases). I remember the two main tricks used to make floors-above-floors possible was to arrange so that the player while walking upstairs simply never had a view of both floors at the same time. You could also use horizontal sprites with floor texture that looked just like floors and build whatever you wanted to in any shape you wanted, although you lost the ability to do sector effects, so it was difficult to get doors where you wanted them to etc, but you could have a few rooms built using sprites just to give the illusion of multiple floors and then the rest of the floors just overlaid without ever being visible at the same time. Good times trying to come up with workaround in that otherwise awesome game engine when it first came out.
Korongh
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #8737 on: June 06, 2017, 02:21:39 PM »

I like play online slots))
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8738 on: June 06, 2017, 02:43:12 PM »

i don't