Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:51:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 894169 times)
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8860 on: September 28, 2017, 07:55:09 AM »

when rpg devs who grew up with square jpeg are all dead
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8861 on: September 28, 2017, 09:16:13 AM »

high fantasy is for ppl with an over-sensitivity to the world who fell into an extreme escapism addiction as a coping mechanism, which is why the most popular fantasy novels are 2700 pages and the most popular RPGs take 400 hours to complete: every extra minute that they allow one to escape the harsh reality outside, lost in a world of cool dragons and sexy knights, is added value

if the length of a typical jayerpudjee bothers you (and it should) you're just not the target audience

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8862 on: September 28, 2017, 09:47:54 AM »

I'm playing that too. Someone at work got 2 copies due to an error and sold me a copy for 10$.

Pretty fun but the controls are a little rough to get used to.

Other than that, all I pretty much play is Tekken7 these days. With a dash of person5. Looking forward to finishing P5 so I can play nier

I played Nier: Automata, it was really fun (at least the first part of the game for me, too many repetitive sections). About Persona 5, do you suggest me to play it, even if I didn't like the Persona series? (I didn't like the student life mechanics, doing an activity every day of the week, meet with your friend to upgrade your social link etc,).

If you didn't like the other personas you will defeinitely not like 5. It's basically an ultra-polished version of the previous ones.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: September 28, 2017, 09:48:02 AM »

chrono trigger is short
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8864 on: September 28, 2017, 09:50:16 AM »

yeah persona5 is pretty ridiculous. It's going to be over 100 hours when I finally complete it and I'm not a completionist at all. I'm trying to just do the main story but the game doesn't really let you. There's these sections of downtime where you are essentially forced to go to a job or build a social link etc.

It will be a while until I play another JRPG in this style. Like maybe 10 years.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8865 on: September 28, 2017, 10:14:35 AM »

i cringe everytime someone says a game "has a lot of depth" when they really mean it has a lot of content
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: September 28, 2017, 10:23:36 AM »

video game publishers should be legally required to seek an exemption from myself for being longer than 8 hours by presenting a single a4 page consisting of legal, moral, and ethical justifications
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: September 28, 2017, 10:26:16 AM »

Game will rip them apart harder than micro transaction

Squire Grooktook
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: September 28, 2017, 12:08:23 PM »

When will are pee gee designers understand that a game doesnt have to be artificially stretched to 100 hours

Trails In The Sky (1 and 2 together) are about 100 hours long, and it's probably my favorite rpg (possibly favorite game) of all time.

The main difference between it and any Square or Atlas jrpg is that most of that playtime is filled up with dialogue and reading, rather than grinding. The game has more text then The Lord of The Rings trilogy (actual number here). In some ways it has more in common with a visual novel than a typical rpg, fun as the battle system is.

The other key difference, is that it's probably one of (perhaps the only) jrpg I've ever played that I genuinely consider well written. It takes full advantage of its mammoth length with an excellent script and an incredibly substantial set of character development arcs, the pay-off of which eclipses almost everything else in the medium, in my opinion.

Meanwhile, I have no intention of playing Persona 5. The writing in Persona 3/4 wasn't good enough to convince me to replay them, and 5's characterization and storytelling look even worse tbh.

I spent my childhood reading 1500 page doorstoppers like Les Miserables and Count of Monte Cristo. I don't mind slow burns, in fact I enjoy them so long as there's a substantial emotional pay off. The real problem with most rpg's is that they don't have the writing chops to accomplish that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:20:43 PM by Squire Grooktook » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8869 on: September 28, 2017, 02:20:26 PM »

I've been playing Shadowman.  Actually enjoying it a fair amount.  It's pretty janky, and the enemies are all annoyingly designed (ranging from regular ol' bullet sponges, to one of the first enemies you run into who can just suck out your life points.  Nothing to dodge, no way to avoid it as far as I can tell.  Just kill them quickly enough and get your life points back when they die).  That being said, the level design has a lot of cool stuff going on in terms of verticality and navigation puzzles, and, well, I am a sucker for late 90s 3D action-adventure.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: September 29, 2017, 01:11:08 AM »

as is the classical joe style, i am not playing anything, and my play station 4 is going to go back in its box for a while. i bought yakuza kiwami but i havent un wrapped it because i have other things to do like work and important trolling on web sites. kiwami 2 looks really good.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: September 29, 2017, 01:38:47 AM »

When will are pee gee designers understand that a game doesnt have to be artificially stretched to 100 hours
I thought that Half-Minute Hero was going to be a good idea until I realised I was going to be doing the same thing over and over again for an hour.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: September 29, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »

I got an old Gamecube off ebay and played some Kirby Air Ride.

Seriously underrated game.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: September 29, 2017, 06:30:25 PM »

I thought that Half-Minute Hero was going to be a good idea until I realised I was going to be doing the same thing over and over again for an hour.

half minute hero is pretty cool but it's more of a puzzle game than a rpg
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8874 on: September 30, 2017, 04:17:42 PM »

I started playing overwatch

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: September 30, 2017, 04:29:25 PM »

Tell me your username and add me

Uplinked
Level 0

Part time writer, full time badass.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8876 on: October 02, 2017, 01:00:46 PM »

Been playing a ton of Stellaris lately.  Gomez

Uplinked

Writer, Student, Passionate Lover
I write things, and you should definitely have me write things for you.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: October 02, 2017, 01:50:58 PM »

New cemu inytroduce soft block into xenoblade x Sad it runs so much better on my computer in the new version too Sad

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8878 on: October 02, 2017, 02:03:41 PM »

half minute hero is pretty cool but it's more of a puzzle game than a rpg

Yeah, you'll be disappointed if you want a true RPG or story. If you want something more silly, though, it's pretty good.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: October 03, 2017, 02:55:02 AM »

Been playing a ton of Stellaris lately.  Gomez

stellaris has been getting really good lately
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic