Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 04:17:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 903767 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9420 on: November 11, 2018, 03:50:06 PM »

nothing is more "video games" than learning about the intricate, interlinked systems of a game and then completely ignoring all of it to do the one thing that you found worked well in the first 15 minutes
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9421 on: November 11, 2018, 06:28:35 PM »

Haha ! that makes me think of "Fable" and the "Charge Attack" spam. Once you discover it, and the frames of invincibility it provides, it all quickly becomes a matter of how often you can press that button and not bleed from your fingers  Hand Any Key

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9422 on: November 12, 2018, 08:17:42 AM »

Got Tetris Effect last weekend.
Game is a masterpiece.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #9423 on: November 12, 2018, 01:58:07 PM »

SO let's talk about starlink, it's what happen when you see the hate about no man's sky and get all the wrong idea about it. This game don't know what it want to be.

It's handcraft not pcg:
You have a flat landscape of handcraft perlin looking hills with randomly placed handcraft copy paste POI, and a single unique asset, which is in the same style of the copy paste but unique, you will look at it 2s and say okay ... also the visual style is rip straight from no man's sky with added copy pasted flourish.

There is gameplay:
You like being interrupted every 5s when flying in space, even when you are inspecting a wreckage, after a fight? well, there you go. So you need to collect resources for mission or spending? how about a annoying pulling mini game! Oh we have a variety of fetch quest so you are forced to engage with pulling hair mini game! The game encourage exploration by having big planet and lot of icon to light up, I mean copy paste combat at location. Oh and I hope you like enemy that blend with the background OR are so small they get covered by grass and bush easily. And they are mobile enough so that you will lose track of them due to FOV not design for fast moving enemy.

You like flying?
You see this game as space ship, that fly, that's why we are forcing you at any occasion to play on ground, like it's a mako in mass effect, with flight disabler cloud, or stuff to heavy you need to lift. So there is no in atmosphere fight and it's hard to fight ground enemy while flying anyway, I hope you like bunny hopping because you gonna need it. Also we mapped necessary button to the faceplate so you won't be able to aim while using them, like shield and jump, while keeping the occasional on the easy accessible shoulder button like the occasiona taking off action.

Oh since you are on the ground, we have some platformer challenge for you! Gameplay! Except you are playing on ground something design for flight, it's super slippy and have mad acceleration, good luck doing precision platform with this? Try to fly? how silly! the platform are too small and the camera isn't design for that anyway. For good measure we added small interior maze section that sure will play nice with ship control! There is strategy, like you can place turret in the world to protect strategical point, except you gonna place these turret one by one, and that's a lot of backtracking, yay gameplay!

You like exploration?
Well we put a time pressure, with a light strategy layer, that basically mean you will lose progress by smelling the roses, as enemy retake position, oh and trying to help attacked oupost basically mean constant backtracking, procedural backtracking yay! You will have to backtrack anyway because you must do collecting resources, with pulling mini game, to upgrade them so you raise the overall planet viability, which will decrease on a timer anyway. Oh and you might need to backtrack from planet to planet to so you have that progression back. You gonna explore for sure, you will forced too! It's meaningful, no passive aimless wandering, no time for sightgazing so will use god ray while you travel, to blind your retina, instead, it's gameplay!

There is a story:
They wanted to reproduce the feeling of old cartoon in space, ulysse 31, captain future/flame, cobra, Jayce and the wheeled warrior, but we forgot the colorful character, the charismatic villain, the impossible situation, the high energy writing. Yeah you gonna have a cast of slap-my-face stereotype, that are not introduced in any shape of form, with no character arc or mission or development, you know nothing about them aside from small card from a mission, with zero chemistry, spouting exposition while doing nothing, there is a villain, he is villainy, kick his ass. Oh plot twist a character dies for drama, and it make the hero have an unearned moment. The lore is a snooze fest.

It's a ultra niche game due to a blend of disparate genre that don't know what it want to be and where the emphasis should be.

There is good thing, the template is actually good, it solve many thing mass effect andromeda tried before pivoting. The star fox inclusion is actually good and their side story hint at what the game could have been. It's pretty and it's on switch, though the absence of pcg landscape and voxel help a lot. I don't regret having buying it I got to see the many scale and technical trick they used and see what work and what don't. The world is also a bit lively, as in the you can see the AI behave and travel in sensible way, the NPC are good enough to take boss level enemy on their own, even if in the end it doesn't produce anything remarkable as there is too few behavior and event type, but it's still fun to meet random fighting of the two factions while exploring, but the fauna itself is forgettable.

The truth is that it looks like the game had a budget cut in the middle of production, I swear many aspect were design for on foot character, from the size of some loot box, the interior to the toy character.

The game basically use no man's sky as a template, the legion are basically what people thought the sentinel to be (a force taking over the universe), they have bit of the original mass effect andromeda gameplay pitch too.

It's basically mass effect: mako only mission, the bactrackening

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9424 on: November 14, 2018, 05:49:30 AM »

This game don't know what it want to be.

It's a ultra niche game due to a blend of disparate genre that don't know what it want to be and where the emphasis should be.

the same criticism could be made of nms....
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9425 on: November 14, 2018, 09:25:52 PM »

I like both, but nms want to be about being alone and lost and terrified, the whole resource burden is part of it, it's def know what it want to be, it's just don't resonate with gamer people, every addition since is a compromise but they try to hold on that core a bit. I would say nms grew into that disparate things but starlink start from nowhere. I said starlink is a bad game for soothing the gamer cred. I think peopel would be disapointed by star control 2d planet gameplay too.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9426 on: November 15, 2018, 03:29:41 AM »

Beat the second boss in the dead cells game. The economics of this or whatever you want to call it are all fucked up. You need to grind so much to actually progress.
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9427 on: November 18, 2018, 03:07:12 AM »

Yes, the reason why I did not like Dead Cells: the grind makes useless the personal skills each player have on a particular genre, so there is that feeling of "the enemy is cheating because it too strong" and questioning if the developers are not using the grind intentionally to increase the game longevity.

Games:

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9428 on: November 19, 2018, 08:05:25 PM »

Finally playing resident evil 4. I rented it on the GC back in the day but only got a few hours in.

Still stands up pretty well today. Control scheme is a little rough but I was able to get used to it.

Besides that finished Kiwami and am taking a short break from Yakuza. Also played some Darkest Dungeon. Pretty fun game!

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9429 on: November 20, 2018, 02:39:29 PM »

Besides that finished Kiwami and am taking a short break from Yakuza.
strength, brothwe
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9430 on: November 22, 2018, 02:24:57 AM »

Finally playing resident evil 4. I rented it on the GC back in the day but only got a few hours in.

Still stands up pretty well today. Control scheme is a little rough but I was able to get used to it.

Besides that finished Kiwami and am taking a short break from Yakuza. Also played some Darkest Dungeon. Pretty fun game!

Just watched yesterday a game design analysis on Resident Evil 4 from Foxcade on YouTube, and it just reminds me how fresh and innovative was for the series, the aim from the shoulder, dynamic difficulty, the melee moves. I am not surprised that it stands today, these mechanics started to overused after Resident Evil 5 and various spin-offs.

Games:

litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9431 on: November 22, 2018, 09:18:26 AM »

Just finished The Witness (the regular ending anyway), of the puzzles near the end even got me laugh-out-loud in a you-gotta-be-kidding-me annoyed way. Aside that and the audio puzzles I loved the game overall (together with the audio/video logs). Won't be hunting for the environmental "puzzles" I missed, time to move on.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9432 on: November 22, 2018, 02:47:49 PM »

Got to what I assume is the last or penultimate boss in dead cells and this shit can eat my ass, that's all she wrote fellas
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9433 on: November 22, 2018, 10:00:32 PM »

Just watched yesterday a game design analysis on Resident Evil 4 from Foxcade on YouTube, and it just reminds me how fresh and innovative was for the series, the aim from the shoulder, dynamic difficulty, the melee moves. I am not surprised that it stands today, these mechanics started to overused after Resident Evil 5 and various spin-offs.

My general plan is to go in the following order :

1) RE1 (done)
2) RE4 (playing)
3) REZero (part of the RE1 PS4 PAckage)
4) RE2 Remake out? play it
5) I might need to have an awkward conversation with someone who's house I left my dreamcast at 15 years ago so I can play RE3.

after that.. i'll see if I want to do RE5/6 or just skip to 7f

either way I'm glad I am still able to enjoy these games Smiley

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9434 on: November 22, 2018, 10:13:35 PM »

wait i don't see code veronica I DON'T SEE CODE VERONICA

NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9435 on: November 23, 2018, 05:10:07 AM »

Currently playing through Half-life for the first time in ... 19-20 years? (cheese 'n rice I'm getting old...). While I'll agree that the game was a revelation at the time (and mostly still holds up) if you're looking for where corridor shooters started look no further than the og Half-life. The game is just one really long tube, it opens up occasionally but for the most part it leads you by the nose.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9436 on: November 23, 2018, 05:20:21 AM »

john cramack clone has gone rogue
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9437 on: November 23, 2018, 03:13:17 PM »

Just finished The Messenger.

I had this on my wishlist for a while but when I finally bought it I didn't really remember why I wanted it, I completely forgot the trailer and description. I thought "hey, this ninja game on my wishlist is on sale. I'm gonna get it now" and started playing it. The reason I'm mentioning this is because the game has a pretty cool twist but it's completely spoiled by the game description on steam and its trailers! So I went in blind and had an amazing surprise. I wish everyone who bought it went in blind as I have but I guess they would rather advertise what they did to improve sales.

diegzumillo highly recommends it Coffee

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9438 on: November 24, 2018, 01:46:03 PM »

I recently played The Messenger. I really loved the first part of the game, it is a very solid platformer, and the composer Rainbowdragoneyes is very talented. The problem is the second part of the game, where it becomes a mediocre metroidvania, it is just an unnatural way to increase the longevity if it is not done well. Usually in a metroidvania you get a new power and unlock a new area, and not "you get all the powers at the end and replay the game the second time to unlock a bunch of rooms to see the ending". I suspect that 5 hours of content was not enough for the publisher, the level of quality of the game is completely different and not coherent compared to the first half of the game.

Games:

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9439 on: November 24, 2018, 01:52:55 PM »

It doesn't follow the same metroid formula, for sure, you don't unlock paths with upgrades but it introduces nonlinearity in its own way. I thought it was great!

Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic