Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:49:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 902321 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #9460 on: December 09, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »

It's kinda funny because firewatch (and gone home) play the big mystery/thriller only to reveal it's just a facade there is no grand connected mystery ... in the end, which people were disapointing to get to. BUt yeah I get you, what do you think then from paper please? which is a walking sim only in spirit? I found it strike a good balance.

litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9461 on: December 09, 2018, 04:43:11 PM »

I actually loved both Gone Home and Firewatch for subverting expectations and found their stories engaging and interesting through the end. And especially Firewatch how it manages to pull off a proper connection with a multilayered person on the other side of the radio (while in Gone Home you're supposed to be the sister, but there's a lot of disconnection there between the player and the role).
Still both those games do well with their thriller aspects, and it actually adds to character and mood development.

Where, for example - Night in the Woods could have completely done without it, I felt it didn't really add much to what the game was all about.

Loved Paper's please, though I see it more as a timed puzzler with some strong story elements. Now that you mention it, it certainly does have the walking sim spirit in a way. But that game would be very actively engaging even without any story beats (though way less interesting), where walking sims mechanics feel more passive (again, story aside).

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9462 on: December 12, 2018, 11:21:53 PM »

Finally bought GTA 5. Will tell you the ways in which it sucks ass once I actually play it.
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9463 on: December 13, 2018, 02:30:11 AM »

I really liked Firewatch, mainly for the dialogues and the various situations, like searching for the 2 girls, and you find then in the lake and they shout at you, very funny. I did not like the ending, was something done very rush in my opinion, but it was a nice narrative game if you want to classify it. Gone Home otherwise I didn't  it, apart from the final revelation, all the story was reading instead of listening like in Firewatch so found it boring, if the story is written, at least I expected to be written really well.

Games:

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9464 on: December 13, 2018, 02:11:43 PM »

Finally bought GTA 5. Will tell you the ways in which it sucks ass once I actually play it.
it took 7000 hours to download and seems to just be a joyless, less good, open world version of kane and lynch that never stops being a tutorial
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9465 on: December 13, 2018, 02:46:41 PM »

the first mission of this game should just have been mufasa taking you up to the ridge and explaining that everything the light touches is your domain and each granular tiny part of it has 500 shitty menus and prompts, none of which you will ever have fun with
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #9466 on: December 13, 2018, 03:38:35 PM »

Well, that may be better than having realistic animations for every granular interaction with the world :^)

Anyway, a Quake-like game called Dusk just released with a nice lowpoly retro aesthetic and I'm having lots of fun with it. I don't know what your stance on Quack is Joe, but if you're the kind of person who likes it then Dusk is 100% gonna be your jam. The Steam ratings stand at "overwhelmingly positive" at the moment too, which is usually a good sign.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9467 on: December 14, 2018, 03:21:11 PM »

did the first robbery and this game just had its first bit of fun. promising.
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9468 on: December 15, 2018, 03:38:31 AM »

Dragon Age Origins. If you enjoyed KotOR , it's for you.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9469 on: December 15, 2018, 02:42:08 PM »

game is getting mildly fun but the script would be infinitely better if it had an editor who loved the n word and the word fuck a lot less
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9470 on: December 16, 2018, 07:43:48 AM »

Game lost me again with the shitty ass torture bit. Hate it.
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9471 on: December 18, 2018, 04:40:03 AM »

Assassin's Creed Odissey, worst enemy? HDR.

Games:

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9472 on: December 18, 2018, 12:25:27 PM »

Interesting, why's that?

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9473 on: December 19, 2018, 08:26:46 PM »

I finished Final Fantasy II today. I'd made a few attempts at it many years ago, but never stuck with it for more than a few hours until now.

It's an impressive step forward from the first game, especially for having come out only a year later. Other than a couple of minor plot holes, the story holds up well enough, though it does lean on the "everything is terrible and everyone you love dies" trope a bit too heavily.

The super weird experimental leveling system probably sounded good in concept, but the implementation left a lot to be desired. I'm glad they didn't stick with it beyond this one game. It was fun in places figuring out how to manipulate it such that I could lose large amounts of MP in a single battle so that my maximum would be able to increase, but leveling up spells was pure drudgery. Learning a new spell usually wasn't exciting, because I knew I'd have to cast it a few hundred times before it would start becoming useful.

I also had a few complaints about the dungeon design. The most egregious thing was the use of punishment rooms - the majority of doors in almost every dungeon would lead to an empty square room with an almost guaranteed monster encounter inside. There wasn't a puzzle or anything related to which doors were safe and which ones weren't, and it's necessary to check all of them just in case they lead to a stairway or some chests. It's just such a weird thing to do. Did NES developers do things like this in order to help sell strategy guides or something?

Despite these few bumps, it was a pretty enjoyable experience. 36 hours on my save file at the end. I learned some surprising things about the series's history during this - some elements that I thought had originated in later games turned out to be callbacks to this one. Glad I finally saw it through to the end.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9474 on: December 20, 2018, 02:51:43 AM »

Interesting, why's that?

Because it was a real challenge to make HDR works on Windows  Tongue

Games:

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9475 on: December 20, 2018, 11:25:12 AM »

I finished Final Fantasy II today. I'd made a few attempts at it many years ago, but never stuck with it for more than a few hours until now.

It's an impressive step forward from the first game, especially for having come out only a year later. Other than a couple of minor plot holes, the story holds up well enough, though it does lean on the "everything is terrible and everyone you love dies" trope a bit too heavily.

The super weird experimental leveling system probably sounded good in concept, but the implementation left a lot to be desired. I'm glad they didn't stick with it beyond this one game. It was fun in places figuring out how to manipulate it such that I could lose large amounts of MP in a single battle so that my maximum would be able to increase, but leveling up spells was pure drudgery. Learning a new spell usually wasn't exciting, because I knew I'd have to cast it a few hundred times before it would start becoming useful.

I also had a few complaints about the dungeon design. The most egregious thing was the use of punishment rooms - the majority of doors in almost every dungeon would lead to an empty square room with an almost guaranteed monster encounter inside. There wasn't a puzzle or anything related to which doors were safe and which ones weren't, and it's necessary to check all of them just in case they lead to a stairway or some chests. It's just such a weird thing to do. Did NES developers do things like this in order to help sell strategy guides or something?

Despite these few bumps, it was a pretty enjoyable experience. 36 hours on my save file at the end. I learned some surprising things about the series's history during this - some elements that I thought had originated in later games turned out to be callbacks to this one. Glad I finally saw it through to the end.

Have you played any of the SaGa series games? That's what the lead designer went on to make and they very much pick up where FF2 left off with experimental mechanics and such.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9476 on: December 20, 2018, 01:53:21 PM »

Have you played any of the SaGa series games? That's what the lead designer went on to make and they very much pick up where FF2 left off with experimental mechanics and such.

Huh, I didn't know that. I've messed around with a couple of them, but never very seriously. Maybe I'll have to add them to the list once I finish the FF series... in like 2 years, even at the rate I'm going

Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9477 on: December 21, 2018, 04:50:58 AM »

BELOW

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9478 on: December 27, 2018, 09:35:32 AM »

a very nice austrian got me into the breach so now I'm playing that and it's very good

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #9479 on: December 27, 2018, 09:58:57 AM »

@Darck_curt Please don't post links to fishy level boost services, thanks. Those are generally against the TOS anyway.

Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic