Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:59:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 894268 times)
GamerGryn
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #9640 on: April 04, 2020, 10:06:48 PM »

Lockdown has got me trying all sorts of stuff. most of it not really catching my attention, except for agonia. worth looking at imo - Www.agonialands.com/index.php?r=2892
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9641 on: April 06, 2020, 10:37:32 AM »

Started 1 week ago Red Dead Redemption 2, the level of detail is incredible, you can almost so anything, it could be called a western simulator.

Games:

Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9642 on: April 08, 2020, 02:17:18 AM »

I'm playing borderlands 2 the pre-sequel =]. Almost finished it, it's quite nice what they did with gameplay. It's enough of the same but the improvements are interesting.

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9643 on: April 23, 2020, 10:34:36 AM »

I am playing Spider-Man on PSNow, a nice open-world game but nothing more, I can see how much Insomniac Games improved what they developed in Sunset Overdrive.

Games:

litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9644 on: May 12, 2020, 02:44:00 AM »

Axiom Verge. Loving it

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9645 on: May 13, 2020, 03:06:06 PM »

I recently played through Hell is Other Demons, and found it to be a real treat. Most of what I play these days is an RPG, action-adventure, or puzzle game, but every once in a while I find myself in the mood for more of a twitchy skill-based arcade-style game. This one filled that niche perfectly. The aesthetic took a little bit of getting used to, but mechanics were solid, and the soundtrack is pretty incredible. There's a campaign mode where you unlock stages and upgrades one-by-one, and an arcade mode where you can just jump in with one of several characters and survive as long as you can. Different equipment choices make for a variety of playstyles.

Strong recommendation from me if you're into stuff like this. Really glad I played it.

tank.donuts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9646 on: May 28, 2020, 05:38:33 AM »

"I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream"
Readed the book before gaming, incredible feelings.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9647 on: May 28, 2020, 06:55:29 AM »

Went through Hyper Light Drifter, and I don't recall when was the last time a game frustrated me to such an extent. It's obviously pretty, and I enjoyed its combat and enemy encounter for the most part. But some encounters and boss battles would get infuriating. From feeling like I've been screwed by a pixel, to having a really hard time chaining dashes, falling into stun-locks (not too often), to having to watch boring same animations over and over and over again due to dying. That with speeding up the painfully slow respawn anim.

And even though beautiful, the game does often enough suffer from lack of contrast in foreground/background elements. Add to that I enjoy a fair bit of reading in games, its text-less approach to telling a story didn't mesh with me at all (nor did the outcome of the story...)

Now I'm yearning for something story-heavy.

l0bster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: May 29, 2020, 05:59:17 AM »

Went through Hyper Light Drifter, and I don't recall when was the last time a game frustrated me to such an extent. It's obviously pretty, and I enjoyed its combat and enemy encounter for the most part. But some encounters and boss battles would get infuriating. From feeling like I've been screwed by a pixel, to having a really hard time chaining dashes, falling into stun-locks (not too often), to having to watch boring same animations over and over and over again due to dying. That with speeding up the painfully slow respawn anim.

And even though beautiful, the game does often enough suffer from lack of contrast in foreground/background elements. Add to that I enjoy a fair bit of reading in games, its text-less approach to telling a story didn't mesh with me at all (nor did the outcome of the story...)

Now I'm yearning for something story-heavy.
yeah, hyper light drifter is not that good. it's just pretty and is a slightly bigger adventure, then most indie games were before it.
raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: June 02, 2020, 07:01:43 AM »

Hm.. I strongly disagree, I can't think of *any* other top-view game that has combat as varied and tight/good-feeling as HLD -- you can chain together dashes, attacks, blocks, shots, etc. so that you're ping-ponging between enemies in a really acrobatic way I haven't really seen anywhere else. This is, in my eyes, the peak of top-down ARPG combat.

Especially in NG+ when you have 2hp, the tightness of the combat system really shines. (You have to be able to consistently chain together dashes though, which IMO don't feel that great and are my least-favourite aspect).

And each encounter/room is totally unique, with different layouts and combinations of enemies. Admittedly I'm a big Beau Blyth fan, but if you have any suggestions for games which are as mechanically tight as HLD, I would love to play them.

Importantly, there are plenty of 1-2 hit enemies, which feel really fun, and enable the heavier enemies to be rarer and function in a way that makes them feel special and complicates the basic encounters, instead of the "everything is a damage sponge" route that so many top-down games seem to fall into. The design of the enemies itself is fantastic, very little overlap and many types which synergize in exciting ways.

Beyond the combat, the design of the game world is phenomenal: the route out from the center serves as an intro/tutorial to the specifics of each area, and then you land in the area and start dealing with those hazards for real. That's a beautiful and totally organic way to structure open-yet-designed progression of exploration through the world. That the hardest areas are totally optional and hidden behind secrets is also really fun and smart. (I only wish that the four diagonal quadrants of the world were full of NG+ hidden areas instead of empty, alas.)

The way that the secrets function, by taking what is usually a liability in these sort of games -- the ambiguity of that iso perspective ("can I even walk back here?!") -- and judo-flipping it to make it a source of fun discovery rather than frustration, is IMO delightful.

Admittedly it's a hard game and you really have to learn how to fight properly (ie mixing up all 4 attack types), but unlike most "hard" games, it's incredibly fair and well-designed.

(Having to sit through cutscenes before certain boss fights was definitely annoying though!)

I also loved how the story/world-building was totally visual, an incredibly tricky bit of design grandstanding which I wish more games would embrace... why do I need to read so much text when I'm trying to play a game?? Architecture, dance, many genres of music, etc. are beautiful without requiring the work of writers: there's no reason games have to be tied to the same boring commercial idiom as Hollywood film.
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9650 on: June 02, 2020, 08:01:25 AM »

@Raigain, design/combat wise you've mostly described what kept me playing through the end. Indeed when it's good it's really good and fun. Jumping into a swarm, throwing a bomb, slicing, precisely shooting and returning to slicing is all very fun. I liked the need to have to heal (and grab a moment to be able to). It creates an interesting flow. I can't say the same for most boss battles though (maybe they're fair but just take longer to "learn"?). Ime boss battles seem to ramp up difficulty too much from fighting smaller enemies/swarms.

10-ish hours it takes to beat the game certainly isn't enough time to master all the controls well, and it's kinda hard to know which upgrades are worth taking (on a first play-through, but I don't usually play games twice so I won't go into the NG+ arguments).

I do HATE the chain dashing leeway timer. Can barely get it chained consistently outside of combat, let alone while fighting Lips Sealed

Secrets finding and the overall layout of the world are good indeed. Got no beef with that. Still lack of contrast in certain areas made me dash into emptiness, not horribly annoying, but something I feel shouldn't happen; or sometimes not being able to distinguish my outline behind trees...

I also loved how the story/world-building was totally visual, an incredibly tricky bit of design grandstanding which I wish more games would embrace... why do I need to read so much text when I'm trying to play a game?? Architecture, dance, many genres of music, etc. are beautiful without requiring the work of writers: there's no reason games have to be tied to the same boring commercial idiom as Hollywood film.

There absolutely is no need to force text into games. But this boils down to personal preference. Games are good at encompassing most other art forms into one. For me writing is an important one, and even when lackluster I find it can far surpass the feel of narratives in movies and books, solely due to the feeling of agency. HDL's story isn't something I found "badly done", quite contrary, it evokes a great sense of mood and immerses into the world. It was just not for me.

Though worded or text-less, it still all firmly falls within "narrative design".

raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: June 02, 2020, 10:23:19 AM »

Ah yeah.. I mean tbh I hate boss fights in general, I don't tend to play games that are boss-heavy, so I guess I just assumed this was par for the course. They were definitely my least-favourite part about HLD anyway.

(I would totally recommend NG+ because it feels like that's what the game was actually designed for -- combat changes from "I can tank this if needed" to "I need to be a ninja chaining multiple attacks together").

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9652 on: June 02, 2020, 12:11:09 PM »

It's been a few years and I really need to replay it, but I have nothing but good memories of my time with Hyper Light Drifter. One of the most interesting things for me was the ammunition system, where there's a constant interplay between using safer ranged attacks and having to put myself in more danger by getting close to recharge my meter with sword slashes. The special sword attacks felt really good too once I got used to them.

The boss encounters were a big highlight for me. The forest boss especially sticks out in my mind as having really gotten up in my face and made me have to make quicker decisions than the other stuff leading up to him. The only part of the game I didn't love was combing over the world at the end trying to pick up the few hidden collectibles I'd missed. I think I ended up giving up before I got everything because I got tired of going through the same screens over and over without knowing where to look.

I watched someone else's let's play after I played it myself, and he played it a totally different way from how I did. Based on what I'm reading here, it seems like there's quite a spread in the way different people experience this game.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9653 on: June 06, 2020, 10:01:50 AM »

Yesterday I was playing the White Palace in Hollow Knight. Masterpiece.

Games:

litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9654 on: June 15, 2020, 03:38:18 AM »

Not sure I'll be going back to Hyper Light Drifter to play +, but the notion is alluring now that my frustrations with it have waned quite a bit. It did help reading other's positive experiences of it. It's definitely a game that stuck with me, which I find an important quality.

Right now, I'm playing The Outer Wilds and am enjoying it more than expected. It's an interesting world they created, movement is fun, and the sense of exploration is great. The deaths aren't annoying me (yet, aside the rewind animation...).
The first few minutes were gripping right away, and several hours in it still hasn't faltered.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9655 on: June 22, 2020, 10:12:47 AM »

Just started Suikoden II, after a suggestion from a friend of mine. It is not very popular (in part because it was obscured by Final Fantasy VII) but it is considered one of the best jrpg ever made.

Games:

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9656 on: June 23, 2020, 09:50:58 PM »

Recently been playing Momodora 4 again, enjoying the art and the exploration more than the boss battles.

friendlinzh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: July 12, 2020, 07:17:35 PM »

i am playing fifa 20 ultimate team
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9658 on: August 10, 2020, 10:58:19 AM »

I recently played through Beat the Art Breaker, and it was a fascinating experience. Everything in the game world is steeped in mystery, and the core game loop for me mostly involved learning to think in the game's mechanical language to puzzle out what I could interact with. The game's page told me up front that there were four endings, and this knowledge was about all I had to go on to figure out what to do to reach them.

Highly recommended if mystery is your jam. It's pay-what-you-want, so you can give it a try without any commitment if you want. The developer has also made several other games in a similar style which are definitely worth trying.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9659 on: August 13, 2020, 06:06:18 AM »

Playing for the 2nd time Breath of the Wild, this time I will achieve 100% completion.

Games:

Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic