Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 07:07:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsdelete
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57
Print
Author Topic: delete  (Read 280674 times)
delete
Level 1

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2011, 11:20:01 PM »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 07:29:09 PM by delete » Logged
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 11:51:47 PM »

- Resolutions
  - 4:3
    - 320x240
    - 640x480
    - 960x720
    - 1280x960
  - 16:9
    - 640x360
    - 1280x720

- The final resolution will be 640x360. However, it will be blown up to 2x scale so that it will fit in a 1280x720 window. This way it will still appear sharp and crisp but everything can be drawn at the smaller resolution of 640x360. This way it also remains 16:9 aspect ratio.

Feedback purely on a technical level, 16:9 is a tiny segment of the market. 16:10 is "normal" widescreen format, and 5:4 also commands a higher market share than 16:9.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution#Current_standards

As far as the rest, I might suggest an arrow with a longer shaft if the player can use them to jump on, so they can make wider platforms with arrows. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:57:20 PM by starsrift » Logged

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 01:25:53 AM »

This looks cool. I like the idea of all the different arrow types.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 07:47:17 AM »

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I played around with 640x360 a little but now I'm thinking I'd actually like to go smaller. I know Spelunky and Cave Story both use 320x240 (and I love the look on both of those), but I'm really attached to 16:9 just because it looks sexy and when I used to make movies as a kid I could never quite get it right. But I might try 16:10 as well since it seems like a nice compromise. Just doing some quick math it seems like a good small 16x10 one might be 384x240, but that seems a little funky. Any thoughts?

Well, whichever works for you! I just thought I'd toss that in. In the larger view, as long as it doesn't auto to fullscreen mode, it probably doesn't matter too much. Smiley

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 08:28:46 AM »

Really like the jumping on arrows mechanic, reminds me of the last Tomb Raider game. Also, lumberpunk.

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 12:55:45 PM »

don't have the player's bow as a new object, rather go into the draw code of your play  object and draw it there.

for instance you could use this:
Code:
draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index,image_index,x,y,image_xscale,image_yscale,image_angle,image_blend,image_alpha);
draw_sprite_ext(spr_player_bow,0,x,y,1,1,point_direction(x,y,mouse_x,mouse_y),c_white,1);

just put that code into the draw event of your player object and it'll work like a charm.

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 02:36:04 PM »

No problem. Game sounds awesome, cant wait to see it completed.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »

"Tracking"
Nice devlog btw.

L5jml
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 06:41:13 PM »

Just a question purely out of curiosity if you don't mind, but why the switch from construct to game maker?
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 08:28:36 PM »

cool, the arrow-as-platform bit is intriguing. Better test it at a bunch of possible angles though, you could get some big glitchyness.

Are you going to do anything with the terrain? Like hide the collision tiles and do some more organic looking objects?

AlexDJones
Level 0

Dough-faced wonderchild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 06:14:08 AM »

The game's coming along well so far it seems! Grandma is a great engine to use, and it's good to see you're getting a lot out of it.
Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 05:40:04 PM »

Also made a quick sketch of the main character. Looks a bit medieval in this one, so I will probably do a few more until I'm happy with the design.

Argh, I'm envious at how you can combine the words quick sketch with such awesome artwork.

Green Arrow fan here, so I love the theme of the game. Very exciting!

57E
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 09:49:32 AM »

Arrow Types:
Platform: As basic, but allows the player to press a button which causes the arrow to turn into a solid platform. If it hits a wall it creates the platform next to a wall. Perhaps an upgrade to the teleport arrow?

That reminds me.
In the old 2D Worms games (at least in Armageddon and World Party) you could make bridges and platforms by shooting arrows without moving or changing the aiming direction, as the arrows were able to get stuck on each other.

As the Wormopedia puts it:
The Longbow has uses other than harming the enemy, the Longbow is part of the arsenal of the tactical player. Darksiders can use this to build bridges with, and get themselves out of tight spots. The arrows from the Longbow will also stick to each other if one is fired into the back of another.
Perhaps do this instead of platform just magicaly appearing?
Mhaine
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 11:02:47 AM »

Black Death was quite good. Also, I like archers. So, I guess I like this concept. Good work so far!
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »

Its nice to see somebody fully committed to getting the job done, and sharing it, daily.

Keep it up!
+1 play tester whenever needed  Well, hello there! Hand Thumbs Up Right
57E
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 10:21:31 PM »

I was actually considering something like that, but I feel like one of the reasons it works in worms is because worms is more of an action/sandbox game. I'm looking to be able to control where the player is able to go so that might make it too crazy as far as bugs go, and its also a bit more over the top stylewise than I'd like the game to be. Thanks for letting me know though, I'll probably test it out anyway.

Yeah it might be too cartoonish looking for the style youre aiming for.
Acme physics and dark fantasy don't mix well.

If your engine allows it without too much work, it could probaply work as something similar as explosive arrows in Shadow of the Colossus or light saber in Ico. I.e. you would have to play the game through once in time attack mode and hard difficulty, or something similar to unlock it.

Elijah T.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 04:03:07 AM »

Hot damn that's some beautiful art! Really well done, I've been checking in on this thread regularly and your updates are always fun to see.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 04:43:04 PM »

I really like that door sprite.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 05:25:42 PM »

How long have you used game maker before this project?
You seem very fluent with your work  Smiley
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 06:00:57 PM »

The door sprite doesn't quite fit in because it has fancy shading and stuff, but it looks great by itself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic