Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:35:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsdelete
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 57
Print
Author Topic: delete  (Read 280623 times)
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1060 on: June 24, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »

*UPDATE* for the purpose of keeping you guys informed on latest developments in regards to this particular videogame that this thread is dedicated to blgaigjklsdngda

Here's some stuff that I've been doing:
1. Making this game even more awesome
That's all I've got for now. I'm gonna start regular updates again soon. Won't be long now!
Really looking forward to this

swordpond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1061 on: June 29, 2012, 04:21:21 AM »

I love this project to bits, but since I feel that it is (kind of, not at all) my responsibility as a fan to say something and speak up, I have to say...

"The Secret Land" isn't too cool*. "The Archer" is so rad and awesome that I've been shitting my pants for the last year just coming across the title. "The Secret Land" sure would do as a name for the world in-game, but "The Archer" just rings perfect. Slick, extremely cool, and mysterious.

"The Secret Land" makes the mysterious and vague aspects of the name completely objective, with the inclusion of the word "Secret". "The Archer" makes you think without any aid, combined with the art in the screenshots. Hell, even "The Land" would be better*.

*My opinion, and my opinion only. Not forcing it on to someone. And it doesn't matter what I think when the game looks this good. Just thought I'd share. Calm down. Please. Don't flame me. At least I wont shit my pants on a daily basis anymore.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: June 29, 2012, 08:51:30 AM »

"The secret Land" is a perfect name for a children's fantasy learning game.

Yeah.
offset
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: June 29, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »

@eyeliner, agree.

@Gabriel Verdon, "The Secred Land" is so tritely, imho. Smiley
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1064 on: June 29, 2012, 09:30:47 AM »

I think the point he made about it not being the name that makes a game, was a good one. I think this opens the game up for a lot of new possibilities too! Archer was a place holder for a long time, and now it's been removed and replaced with what Gabe reckons will be the final name, but potentially might see a change down the way too. I'm all up for just supporting Gabe along the way as he figures this stuff out for himself, since this project has come such a long distance in terms of thought and ideas. I'm excited for the next step!

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: June 29, 2012, 09:57:12 AM »

I loved "The Archer" but I think "The Secret Land" can be just as good. Just give me some time. I ... just need some time.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1066 on: June 29, 2012, 09:58:30 AM »

Teh Secret Land is so generic  Sad

Moczan
« Reply #1067 on: June 29, 2012, 11:12:03 AM »

If it was AAA game they would release a 100$ DLC that changes the name and all logos of game to "The Archer" and milk the crowd.

But seriously, the old name was much better and the "it opens possibilities" argument is bullshit.
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1068 on: June 29, 2012, 11:13:28 AM »

When I first started making games and had no clue what the fetch I was doing, I had come up with this elaborate rpg idea.  The title of the game was "Indigo: The Dream World."  For the same reason I cringe when I look back at that name, I also cringe at "The Secret Land."  I feel like it's too easy of a name.  If you want the name to be about the location rather than the character, I'd suggest naming the game after the actual name of the secret land.  It would build depth.  Similar to Ghibli's "Laputa: Castle in the sky".  Or if you didn't want to do that, I'd probably choose a more unique quality of this land, besides secret, that sets it a part.

I don't get too interested about playing a game that takes place in a secret land.  'Secret' doesn't tell me anything - It could be a very dull place once I get there.  I might get really interested to play a game called "Sacred Pillars" or something.  It builds curiosity about what these pillars are and what that would look like.  There was an old movie called "the Secret Garden" and even that was kind of interesting because it described the place more than just "land".  What would a secret garden look like, I wonder?  Why would a garden be kept a secret?  Again, it builds curiosity

The archer, although seemingly simple, has a sort of minimalism that builds mystery and intrigue.  You've fallen into the same trap that Owl Boy did - which was also a placeholder name, but has become such an identity of the project that they had to keep it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:48:25 AM by DanFessler » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: June 29, 2012, 11:23:41 AM »

Hitler
Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1070 on: June 29, 2012, 12:15:28 PM »

I'm not really a fan of The Secret Land, but I agree that The Archer is a little dull and unengaging.

I do kind of think the reaction is overly negative, but that's alright. Shows how much everyone loves the project Smiley

rdein
« Reply #1071 on: June 29, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »

the archer land

now you all go home
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1072 on: June 29, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »

Sorry if I sounded a bit negative.  The last time I commented on the name I didn't really give much insight, so I thought I'd clarify my thoughts a bit.  You also have some good points.  I can respect that. Smiley

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1073 on: June 29, 2012, 12:33:46 PM »

the archer land

now you all go home
acualy is dolan  Wizard

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1074 on: June 29, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »

i actually also think the secret land is the less generic name, it reminds me of the secret garden by frances hodgson burnett (which is a great book). i think both names could work but who cares about names anyway, when was the last time you disliked a game because the name was bad?

good games with dum names:
- princess tomato in salad kingdom
- populous
- adventure
- super mario bros.
- noitu love

DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1075 on: June 29, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »

i actually also think the secret land is the less generic name, it reminds me of the secret garden by frances hodgson burnett (which is a great book). i think both names could work but who cares about names anyway, when was the last time you disliked a game because the name was bad?

good games with dum names:
- princess tomato in salad kingdom
- populous
- adventure
- super mario bros.
- noitu love

You sure like your lists these past couple days.  Love it.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1076 on: June 29, 2012, 01:00:26 PM »

People seem to be pretty divided over the name change.

Two parts to it that I see - "The Archer" has been a staple of the devlog diet on Tigs for a long time, solid continuous progress, a flow of inspiring updates, and gamers being the notoriously nostalgic folk they are, they often dislike change. The other part is that "The Secret Land" is generic enough to not really do justice to what the game looks like it could achieve and doesn't really have the 'kick' that people would want to see; a kick they may have seen in The Archer (subjective of course).

Totally get why you wanted to change the name though Gabriel, kudos for actually taking the step. Since you said yourself you're not 100% sold on it, doesn't hurt to throw some ideas and discussion about so that's just why I'm posting. I see the act of changing the name as a re-birth of sorts, since the project died and came back to life, and to be honest it makes me pretty excited.

My critique of the new name is the genericness of it, is there perhaps some cryptic story element buried in this world you're creating that can be woven into the name? In some way that it sparks the player's imagination but doesn't reveal much. Just something to think about.

Few random ideas to throw out in case they're at all useful:

• The Old Lands
  • The Hidden Realm
  • The Dead Cities
  • A Fractured World

Mix and match for alterations. Of course I don't know the back story so I might be way off.

But yeah, just wanted to post to throw some text at your face, maybe some of it's useful? If not no harm done. I just think it's really cool to see people passionately arguing the defence of one name or another, shows the love that this game has even a way before completion - because we all know it will be great.

Keep up the fucking awesome work.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1077 on: June 29, 2012, 01:46:05 PM »

"Archer" is short and punchy and describes the verbs of the player, not unlike "Thief".  "Secret Land" is more evocative of atmosphere. If the emphasis is on the world, maybe that's more important.

I would say though that it doesn't seem specific to the world you're creating.

Random suggestions:

"Trail of the Tortoise Caravan" (the tortoise was awesome)
"Tree of Bears"
"Raven's Wing"
"Island of Lights"
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:26:03 PM by Ninja Dodo » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: June 29, 2012, 03:09:35 PM »

"Archer" is short and punchy and describes the verbs of the player, not unlike "Thief".  "Secret Land" is more evocative of atmosphere. If the emphasis is on the world, maybe that's more important.

I would say though that it doesn't seem specific to the world you're creating.

Random suggestions:

"Trail of the Tortoise Caravan" (the tortoise was awesome)
"Tree of Bears"
"Raven's Wing"
"Island of Lights"

rocky balboa is short and punchy. as for whatever you said after the word punchy, well, i regret to inform you that my attention span doesn't "span" to those heady heights
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: June 29, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »

Lots of Dark Souls inspiration here.

Evil!!!

But really, your art is perfect.
Keep it up!
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 57
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic