Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:25:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsdelete
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 57
Print
Author Topic: delete  (Read 280716 times)
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 07:37:34 PM »

This is starting to look really awesome dude.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 08:49:49 PM »

oh man .. i'd totally play this  Beer!

57E
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 09:20:47 PM »

All of your screenshots are taken with different view sizes.
Are you going to use some sort of zoom camera in game?

Also I'd like to be a tester too, unless you already have enough them.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 06:16:55 PM »

Gamemaker can do fancy zooms and still look good using surfaces, but surfaces don't work properly on a lot of computers.
57E
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2011, 02:35:55 AM »

I'm not planning on having a player-controlled zoom, mainly because I don't think game maker would handle that very well, and also because it's not totally necessary.
Thats what I would have warned you about, did some experiments with it my self once.
If you try to change view size on the currently visible room while game is running, it will cause all sorts of glitches.
I'm not at all familar how the surfaces would work though, I mostly use the Ultimate 3D these days.

And if you would like to be a tester, I will need your email address so I can contact you - my email is:  gabriel dot verdon at gmail dot com (just send me a pm or a quick email with your address, unless you just want to post it here).
<-There is mail icon under the avatar. Click it to open email.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 03:00:19 AM by 57E » Logged
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2011, 03:23:39 PM »

This is looking really cool.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »

but does anyone have any other suggestions?
You could probably do wonders with an assassin sort of ai!
when you turn to it, it could crouch down and have some camouflage shield.
You could also lower its opacity when its hiding so its a little bit less noticeable,
that would be a very fun enemy if you could make blend in enough!
You could also possibly have wildlife, get some bears, deer, etc, so you'd have some environment stuff that you can kill for fun :D

btw great tiles, its really nice  Smiley
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 08:13:50 PM »

Your screenshots give me so many idea lol, btw nice new colors, very well fitting!
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 08:18:35 PM »

Loving your tile work... Damn.

57E
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 09:29:46 PM »

Also, if anyone has any idea how to go about making a dynamic lighting system in GM, any help or tips you can give would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I haven't done any googling of it yet either.

I was going to recomend using Geargod's Luminaire or Adventus L3S, but then I noticed that they haven't been updated in years. So they probaply won't work with gm8 properly, or at all...
Found this while looking for L3S:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=405212&st=0
This seems to get the job done. At least it's gm8 compatible.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 04:03:09 AM »

This is looking really cool

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 10:11:49 PM »

Looking really solid. Is the lighting affected by the world at all or is it just blended overlays?

swordpond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 04:32:42 AM »

I have to say, this looks really good. I hope we'll see a finished game sometime. The graphics are beautiful, and the whole thing is incredibly inspiring!

Retrogames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 05:41:11 AM »

Reminds me of a shareware project of mine I worked on years ago (16 or 17 years maybe) that was similarly archery-themed. We had a playable demo and some early art done, but you're already much further ahead than we were (though ours was built from scratch rather than using a pre-existing engine... which didn't exist back then).

Since it's unlikely we'll ever come back to the project, here's a few notes / details that you can use if you like.

Name
You have an archery theme and are going for a dark / depressing / lonely feel. Archers were very rarely strong fighters (at least when it came to close quarters) nor were they ever solitary fighters (usually arranged in large formation). This means your character is already starting off on the wrong foot, as it were, and has every right to be afraid.

My archery-themed game was called "Quiver", and that may be more appropriate for you. You're free to use it if you like. There is both the archery connotation (the player has a large quiver of different arrow types to use) and the alternative definition; shaking or moving with a slight trembling motion.

There was a game called "Quiver", but it was a space-themed first person shooter in the mid 90s. Both companies that worked on it are non-existent at this point so I think you're more than safe to use it. It might be more descriptive without being so blatant.

Bows
In addition to multiple arrows, our concept also featured different types of bows. The short bow the player started off with had a slow missile speed and a short firing distance. Later upgrades increased the missile speed and distance, as well as the rate of fire. Several bows also upgraded certain arrow types, and this might be a good way to work in the multiple arrow upgrade you mention without rendering certain arrow types obsolete. It also allowed the player to conserve certain types of arrows (we had limited ammo for special arrow types).

For example, the "Infernal Bow" added magical fire (it was blue) to any regular shot you made, mimicking the flaming arrow type without actually consuming flame arrow ammo AND they wouldn't burn/melt the materials that flame arrows normally would. That allowed you to get the benefit of fire arrows (damaging enemies over time and causing the fire to spread to other enemies if they panicked) in places you might not want them setting things alight (wooden structures, rooms full of explosive kegs, etc.)

However, when the Infernal Bow fired a Flame Arrow, it combined to create an explosive arrow that could destroy certain walls, cause massive area-of-effect damage, and set multiple enemies ablaze in an instant.

We had repeating crossbows as well, but the only benefit to those was that you could 'drain the clip' instantly to fire off 5 or 6 bolts quickly as a sort of 'special move'.

Arrows:
You actually have most of the same arrows we had; Fire, Seeking, Ice and Rope arrows. We didn't have acid though, that's a nice touch (I think we probably considered it, but decided it was too similar in function to the explosive fire/inferal bow combo).

Here's a few we had that aren't on your list;

- "Black Arrow" or "Death Arrow", was basically an instant-kill against certain enemy types. We had character 'levels' in a very basic sense; you didn't earn XP or anything like that, but as your character grew more confident (usually after a boss fight), large groups of enemies would instead level DOWN and become fodder. So the wolf that was a tough fight at the start of the game at the start becomes a single-shot kill later.

Enemies basically were grouped into "Fodder" "Standard" "Tough" and "Boss". Black Arrows would essentially affect a target as if they were one lower level than they were (i.e. Standard becomes Fodder, Tough becomes Standard, etc). Bosses were excluded, of course.

Black Arrows were rare and were designed for dire situations. As it turns out, we kind of had a 'survival horror' thing going on before there really was a survival horror genre.

- Poison Arrows, which caused enemies to slowly lose health over time. Some boss characters would also reveal their weak spot when they were afflicted, so poison arrows were especially handy for taking down tougher fights.

Poison Arrows weren't an ammo you actually found, but were arrows you recovered from poisonous enemies; you'd shoot a Manticore or whatever and when they died they'd leave behind a green-tinted arrow you could pick up.

We got the idea from the old Hercules TV series (so that dates the project pretty well, I guess), where the blood of the Golden Hind was the only poison able to slay a god. We actually planned to have super-rare little forest critter that you might stumble across that would award a special arrow usable on a hidden boss. Something you might want to slip in for fun.

- 'Elongated' Arrows. These were special reed arrows you could climb on since the basic arrows were too small and brittle. We didn't use the 'climb up arrows' mechanic quite so frequently as you seem to be; it was more of a puzzle element than a method of travel.

- Net Arrows. There were a couple enemy types we had planned to be too dangerous to defeat. If you slew them, their spirits would linger and become a huge pain in the arse. The only way to avoid this was to capture them safely (or use the "Holy Bow" you found later in the game). This was only in one 'dungeon' (we had 6 themed 'towers' you had to journey to), but they were usable throughout the game if you just wanted to stop an enemy from moving. The Net Arrows also allowed you to use the snared enemy as a platform for good measure.

- Protection Arrows These were kind of an oddity. You'd shoot them and they'd create a bubble of protection that the player could shoot through but enemies couldn't. It didn't affect movement at all. You'd shoot them at certain traps to contain their projectiles and we had wanted to use them to 'bounce' projectiles around. For example, shooting a Protection Arrow so an enemy shot would ricochet off and hit a distant switch or something. It was only a very rough idea, but it might give you some ideas.

Limited Vision
You have a pretty dark world and are going for an isolated feel. To add to that sense of danger, you might consider uncentering the camera (when it scrolls) from the player character and shift it to a point several tiles ahead of them. This will favor your gameplay in two ways; you can see further when trying to shoot something, but (more importantly) the area behind the player is smaller. This means things can sneak up on you easier, traps you may spring behind you may only be audible, etc.

This wasn't in our original design, but it's something I came up with for a 'reboot' of Simon's Quest that a LOT of ideas from Quiver made it into. You can read that here: Level 1 Game Designer: Reinvention: Simon's Quest

Healing System / Armor
In fact, while you're there, you might want to look over the Healing System and Armor Types because those were both aspects of Quiver as well that I carried over to that little project as well.

In Quiver, the armor basically just gave you a longer health bar, by the way.

Limited ammo types
As I said above, there wasn't really a 'survival horror' genre when we were working on it, but we had lots of ideas that kind of figure into that genre's themes. One was limited ammo; you always had your default arrow, but you could quickly run out of the other types if you were careless with them. Each arrow type had a specific method for getting more (i.e. the poison arrows above), so you didn't have to farm enemies or anything to get them by chance (though certain enemies did drop certain ammo types). That was one reason we had multiple bow types, so players could still shoot 'pseudo-fire' arrows to damage enemies without actually consuming fire arrows themselves.

We didn't have a restriction on how many arrows you could carry though, that was completely unlimited. But certain arrow types, we wanted to feel rare and unique. A lot of special arrow types also were given away in areas that required them (i.e Rope Arrows in the Sky-themed Tower, etc.)

Other stuff:
Really, that's about it. We did have plans for magic spell-type system planned, but all it really did was add either a full-screen attack (Think Ninjitsu Attacks from Shinobi) or summon a special helper.

The helpers had limited life, but hung around and attacked stuff to heal you. One was an Angel that shot light arrows and the other was a demon with 'vampire arrows'. Both basically did the same thing (heal you when they hit an enemy), but had different behavior. The Angel was less aggressive, healed for more, and was deadly accurate. The Demon was much more aggressive, healed for slightly less, but fired so much he often missed.

We wanted to add a sort of 'hidden ending' thing based on how many times you used one or the other, but we never implemented them before we scrapped the project.

Everyone who worked on the project (that is, myself, my programmer and an artist we recruited to do some early test work) was a huge fan of Castlevania, so a lot of the early tiles that I drew had things like stained glass windows, statues, crumbling ruins, etc.

The basic stage design was an open hub world (ala Simon's Quest) that linked to 6 themed Towers and the final boss' Tower. There was a linear order through the towers, but looking back I wish we had taken a more open-ended approach and let the player find the tools needed to progress through each in the Hub world rather than at the end of each tower. Oh well, it was a long time ago and we were just starting off.

-------------------

Anyways, hope some of this is useful. Send me a PM if you have any questions or want to toss some ideas back and forth. I'm definitely looking forward to giving this game a try.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 05:48:01 AM by Retrogames » Logged

- Will Armstrong IV -
Level One Game Designer
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 08:15:48 PM »

Dude... Just who in the hell ARE YOU?! You just came out of NOWHERE and busted out this game on us... Which seemed pretty unsuspecting at first... But in the 2+ weeks you've been working on it you've been consistently updating your devlog showing that you're no slouch at all when it comes to this stuff and you certainly know what you're doing when it comes to art AND the tech side of things. With every update the game looks better each time, and frankly, I'm shocked and impressed by the speed and quality of your work.

Truly, a challenger has appeared.

Hand Clap Shocked

saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 08:48:49 PM »

This is awesome! I love the style and the graphics! Pleeease finish this game I wanna plaaay :D

sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 03:50:30 AM »

Dearest Gabe

Come showcase this at a Rectangles Show and Tell sometime? Please and thank you? We'll buy you a beer! Owen didn't even get free beer! (Sorry Owen...)

Sincerely,

Me and the other Dirty Rectangles

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 11:48:14 AM »

I'm really interested in how you did that lighting/glow effect in GM. I'd love to make a pixel-based game that employs a similar effect or possibly even collaborate with you on a small side project sometime in the near future! A couple weeks ago I was thinking of making a platform game with that same engine you're using, but you control a tank that has a rotating turret and hover capabilities. It would work like a horizontal shooter/platformer. More space/sci-fi themed, but I think it could be fun and I'd definitely want to use a similar artistic approach and engine that you're using. Of course, we're both pretty busy and I doubt you'd be up for making another platform shooter using the same engine and similar graphical traits after this, but I just thought I'd mention it Tongue At least let me know how you did that effect or release a modified source of the Grandma engine! Grin

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 11:57:33 AM »

Just checking in on this after i noticed it when the thread was first made, and i have to say wow!

Really love the art style and effects. Though if you were planning on giving the game some sort of background, i'd suggest leaving it black - it looks too cool!

Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 12:39:45 PM »

Wha? So much in so little time. I'll just add to the crowd here and say that this is looking really good.

Also thought I'd mention that one of my illustrations got accepted into D'Artiste Character Design, which I'm really happy about. Hand Shake Left Evil Hand Shake Right Kekai Kotaki (concept artist on Guild wars 2) does a little critique thing on it which is cool. I posted the picture up here if anyone

Also, congratulations on getting your work in there! That's really cool! And I'm also slightly jealous as Kekai Kotaki is one of my favourite artists. Grin Well deserved indeed, your piece was incredible.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 57
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic