Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:43:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsdelete
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 57
Print
Author Topic: delete  (Read 279507 times)
Retrogames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 02:00:22 PM »

Wow, tons of great ideas in there! I'll definitely be using some of those if that's cool with you.

Feel free to use whatever you want. The game never got past the early demo phase (we had movement, enemies, a bunch of arrows types and a couple levels), so it's pretty much been vaporware for the last decade. I figured I'd post a few of my notes and let you pick through them for whatever you might be able to use.

The game looks really great and if in some small way I help to make it better, I'm a happy gamer.

- Will Armstrong IV -
Level One Game Designer
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »

And then find some pot so I can have an imagination fueled night of game development
Haha  Tongue
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 09:12:46 PM »

Great Scott. Your inspiration to us all.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 09:54:35 PM »

God damn, man.  You are just whipping out these updates.  You see this, indies?  This is efficiency.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 12:09:13 AM »

It's the pot, man. I got some of my best work done (and tons of it) when I was a stoner. Wizard

sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2011, 05:04:47 AM »

It's the pot, man. I got some of my best work done (and tons of it) when I was a stoner. Wizard
Unfortunately I didn't find any because both my 'friends' are losers Sad  

You're hanging out with the wrong friends  Wink
wink wink nudge nudge

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »

Seems like I had more friends when I smoked weed than I do now. This can mean only one of two things:

1) Being a stoner is a pre-requisite for having lots of friends, aka, a "kool klub kard" (or maybe just a social activity that gets people together more than, say, making games.

2) My solipsistic theory that everyone is just in my head, and weed was my "source of power" for manifesting better times, more friends, etc... Now I'm just ronery and miserable and unproductive since I quit Waaagh!

Moral? Don't stop doing drugs, kids!

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2011, 04:10:11 PM »

I have friends, and have never touched weed in my life.
Theory disproven!

On topic:

I think it would look cool if there were small areas of the background that were tiles, like ruined buildings or something.
I really like that plain black background.

AnthonyBongers
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2011, 05:40:19 PM »

Dude, this has gotten so much better so quickly. I'm really impressed Gabe!
I like where you're going with the art style. Everything looks great :]
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2011, 07:24:19 PM »

heh, the picture says harder wood.
RadiationBLUR
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2011, 06:13:22 AM »

You could name it Divine Arrows. Smiley

Anyway, the game looks Amazing!

+1 BetaTester when you need  Addicted
RadiationBLUR
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2011, 07:28:22 AM »

for sound effects i would probably say you should use SFXR.
for the music, you should go to the ''Tigsource Forums/Developer/Unpaid Colabs''.

Keep up the good devlopment!  Smiley
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2011, 12:49:34 PM »

I feel like you could get away with something more clever for this game's title... Maybe a spin on the name Artemis, the legendary archer goddess. Something like "Tears of Artemis" (tears in this case are the arrows that rain down on foes) or Artemixel (a wacky portmanteau of Artemis and Pixel, lol, obviously not the name to go with, but you get the idea)...

If Artemis isn't your thing (as in, the game probably couldn't be called Artemis unless the main character was female) then maybe Apollo is more to your liking? You could probably get away with a lot more play-on-words using Apollo (Apollonian, Apollo's Bow, or simply Apol, etc) and there are plenty of other archer gods from other cultures if you just google "god of archery".

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2011, 06:30:23 PM »

You could use gamemaker's instance disabling functions to cut down on lag, but they do have some downsides.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2011, 10:28:27 AM »

You could use gamemaker's instance disabling functions to cut down on lag, but they do have some downsides.

By that do you mean the "instance_deactivate" functions? How do they work and what are their downsides?
Yes. They make every object inside or outside a certain region (or all of one object) not exist anymore for all purposes but reactivating until you reactivate them. The upside is that they cause no lag.
The downsides are:
 - It's easy to accidentally deactivate something important like a  control object.
 - You can't do anything to the objects while they are deactivated. eg. You hit a button that makes some blocks disappear. All the ones on screen disappear, but all the ones off-screen that were deactivated will still be there when you go over to them.
 - Anything that leaves the screen will 'float' in a deactivated state until you go to them. In this case you would shoot arrows off-screen. Once you move towards them, they all reappear stacked on top of each other. Players could abuse this to one hit kill enemies just off screen. (If you've played spelunkey it had the same effect.)

Another way to reduce lag is with these steps:
1. Make a copy of your level (You can edit it and not save but this is safer.)
2. Delete everything but the collision objects. (You can turn tile view off, but you still have to delete all the other objects. For the sake of this step delete one-way floors and anything else that isn't a boring plain wall.)
3. Make the background a solid colour.
4. Screen shot the level. (You may have to take several and paste them together)
5. Make the screenshot a sprite. (Use fill tool to make the background transparent if you are on GM8)
6. Make a new object with the collision object as a parent and place it in your level.

This makes you only have 1 collision object, which cuts down of the number of object updating each tick, reducing lag. The downside is that you can't edit the level as easily anymore, so make sure you are finished making your level before doing this. You can make some weird shapes that you don't have premade objects for by editing the picture manually though.
StovenGreve
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2011, 12:07:33 PM »

Gabroon! You should send me a new build!
RadiationBLUR
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2011, 12:16:52 PM »

Names:

Crumble's bow
OutThere
Divine Arrows
BroadTip
Carracas
TemArw
Rangerico
T.H.I.E.F
Bowites
LooneBow
TheCame
CoBo: Furnes el Arrows
Craffisto arrows
PerfectSnipe
BeSuperArcher
ArroArro
Casntiary
Arc of Ash
PilesNost
RoostBoost ( if you dont use it i would!)

Ive should have started a tread!

Hope you could atleast use one of them

Edit:
100th post:)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:48:38 PM by RadiationBLUR » Logged
RadiationBLUR
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2011, 01:21:21 PM »

YAY.

If you send the player sprite to:

[email protected]

I would recolor/resprite into all kind of creatures, even zombies.

AnthonyBongers
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2011, 11:14:02 PM »

Crumble's bow

Me gusta.  Gentleman
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2011, 09:21:19 AM »

In a word: excellent!

Very impressive use of the grandma engine, and I particularly like how you appear to have arrows colliding with slopes correctly.  The lighting effects added to the very nicely done tiles elevate this to a veritable feast of color and depth.

It was also very interesting to see your design document.

I'll be keeping an eye on this Cave Story
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 57
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic