Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 11:18:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsdelete
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57
Print
Author Topic: delete  (Read 280669 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #660 on: November 27, 2011, 11:59:11 AM »

Woah, I just found out you're making this game with Game Maker. That will take a while before the whole game has loaded won't it?

this is only true if you frontload all the assets (have them in the .exe itself)

if you store the assets externally and load/unload them as you please, GM games actually start very quickly

of course this enables people to manipulate the assets as they please, but i don't feel it to be that big an issue
delete me
Level 0

This account is very old, I don't use it.

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 27, 2011, 02:17:31 PM »

I like how people are suggesting solutions to something that was never indicated as a problem.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #662 on: November 27, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »

Preemptive strike.  Gentleman

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 28, 2011, 07:20:20 PM »

1 look more in tone with the game, 2 look better as is but no sure about the tone you had already established

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #664 on: November 28, 2011, 10:53:15 PM »

I like the higher contrast of the first one.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #665 on: November 28, 2011, 11:17:20 PM »

If it were me. Id. like.

Do it so that it's the first one, but your mouse is like a flame.
So just a circle around the mouse is the second one.

Like uhhhhh <opens le photoshop> this Grin:

Size of the bright part could be whatever. But this gives the basic idea. This might even be possible to do with your lighting system, no?
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #666 on: November 29, 2011, 01:11:37 AM »

The lighting system couldn't change the text and level button colour, although it could do the background. Probably possible with surfaces and some shenanigans.
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 29, 2011, 04:18:03 AM »

The problem with both the pitched images of world map is that they both look bland with just a 2-colour background. The first one fits the game better, but needs lighting.

I like peanutbutter's idea, but making the light blend in with the background a bit, as in have it get darker the farther it is from the mouse until it blends with the background's colour or some other predetermined distance. Also, using surfaces to make it affect the buttons sound cool, not sure if you should let it affect text, but if you try it out, it might turn out to look good.

You could also add like 2 torches to the side of each major city/area which emits a smaler bit of light to give it more edge.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 29, 2011, 07:09:52 AM »

DAY 254 - November 28, 2011

• Worked some more on the map.
  • Went through my notes and added in all the proper place names (not shown in pic).

*maps*

Which one do you guys think looks better?

If those terrain features are even remotely important, they should be more visible. As they are it's possible someone would mistake those bodies of water for ye olde parchment discolouration.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #669 on: November 29, 2011, 08:36:03 AM »

A flickering, possibly morphing circle of light would be cool, as if someone was reading the map by the light of a handheld torch. And right in the center the brightest point could be the cursor, so to speak, bringing up info boxes whenever a button is fully lit.

Gomez

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 29, 2011, 09:21:33 AM »

Oh yeah, and it reminds me of the map for Mouse Guard:

The neutrals aren't really a problem if you want it to look like an aged map – maybe there's some lighting or focus thing you can do to really boost readability when a location is highlighted.
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 29, 2011, 09:31:03 AM »

@vinheim3
I don't fully understand what you mean. I imagined the light to follow the mouse so it would never be far away from it. The torches idea is cool, I'll give that a try.

Yeah, reading it again, what I said could easily be interpreted differently. I mean that the center of the light will be on the mouse, but the light around it will dim  as it grows outwards.
Theophilus
« Reply #672 on: November 29, 2011, 09:43:18 AM »

Needs some texture, too.
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #673 on: November 29, 2011, 01:09:30 PM »

A flickering, possibly morphing circle of light would be cool, as if someone was reading the map by the light of a handheld torch. And right in the center the brightest point could be the cursor, so to speak, bringing up info boxes whenever a button is fully lit.

Yeah that! Do that!

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #674 on: November 29, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »

While we're throwing ideas around; if you're using the lighting system could you put one light on the mouse and a different coloured light on the player's current location? Presumably it'll be necessary to show the player's location on the map somehow.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: November 29, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »

While we're throwing ideas around; if you're using the lighting system could you put one light on the mouse and a different coloured light on the player's current location? Presumably it'll be necessary to show the player's location on the map somehow.

Or a marker of some kind, a little carved wooden totem or token in the shape of the player character.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #676 on: November 30, 2011, 11:40:29 AM »

Voted!

Please win with Survivors of Ragnarok  Beg

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #677 on: November 30, 2011, 11:44:28 AM »

It's funny - Cryengine 3 sponsored the competition, but you're making the game in Game Maker. Heh. It's looking quite good, by the way, Gabriel. Each screenshot I've seen looks unique, like there aren't any areas where you didn't know what to make - each area looks expertly crafted. Very, very nice work.

Theophilus
« Reply #678 on: November 30, 2011, 01:05:29 PM »

Voted and tweeted.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #679 on: November 30, 2011, 01:55:59 PM »

Voted and tweeted.
Voted, and a good idea, I should tweet it too. Smiley

Master of all trades.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57
Print