Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 11:16:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Journey Down development blog-thing.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Journey Down development blog-thing.  (Read 5194 times)
Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:34:12 PM »

Hey all!

Just droppin' a line to say me and Henrik (the animator on the commercial release of the Journey Down) have just started some form of development blog over at www.slxgames.com. For you who are curious about our JD progress and/or our general bantering regarding our other projects/tomfoolery, please, drop by! If people visit the damn thing we might actually bother keeping it updated too!  Grin

"The Journey Down" is a point 'n click adventure game, where chapter one is scheduled for a 2011 q4 release.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:52:44 AM by Skygoblin » Logged

Currently developing The Journey Down: Chapter Three
Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:53:27 AM »

Updating with some new pics! Work is moving along nicely, don't forget to check out the development blog:

antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:59:59 AM »

Looks amazing. I hope to see the end result. Is this going to bbe complete 3d?

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:04:39 AM »

It's very beatiful!

Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 12:22:07 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I just updated the blog with some info about the voice cast, so be sure to check that out if you're interested in that aspect of game design!

antymattar: No, it will not be in complete 3d. In fact, it won't be in 3d at all. The characters, and some select animated items, will be pre-rendered 3d objects. But the entire game is 2D. (It's built in AGS)

Helmeted
Level 0

Death Panelist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 09:43:17 AM »

Your Episode 1 prototype was great! Glad to hear your carrying on and making a bigger commercial game of it. Absolutely love the art.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »

Congrats that your success is snowballing.  Keep on it!   Beer!

Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 01:17:27 AM »

Here's some new stuff from the devblog! I've started experimenting with the GUI design in the new HD version.
The new wide-screen ratio poses some new problems that need to be though through. Any comments are appreciated:)

Helmeted: Thanks for the kind words! Keep your eye's peeled on the blog for more artsy goodness:)

Scut Fabulous: Heh, I wouldn't call it snowballing success, as much as snowballing boneheadedness at wanting to make the project soar. But thanks anyways. I'm not surrendering any time soon. 

Beer!

Follow our point 'n click goodness over at:

Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 01:13:28 AM »

Here's some new stuff from the dev-blog! Please keep the comments coming. Especially if you've played the prototype, I'd love to hear your comments on what we've released so far from the high-res release.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 05:37:20 PM »

The new background art looks great! I hope that the 3d pre-rendered characters don't look too jarring on them.

Make sure you iron out all the typos in the text for this version - it really puts me off of text-heavy games when there are spelling and grammatical errors.
Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 02:28:09 AM »

Thanks Derek!

Making the 3d characters blend with the cartoony style of the backdrops will no doubts be a challenge. When looking at any other game that attempts to do so one gets ones hopes rather smashed, it's usually something that fails miserably, I must agree.

In my blazing naiveté though, I believe WE will somehow get it right, let's hope I can fool more people than myself that this is the case:)

Regarding spelling and grammar, I couldn't agree more. Every single line of dialog in the game needs some harsh slapping around before we can let it into this new release. This was by far the major critique we received from the prototype version and I have truly taken it to my heart. Thanks for reminding me though. 

I intend to let the high-res version have text activated by default even though we do have full voice acting. What do you think about that? I personally think text is very ugly but can truly be of help when a lot is going on at once in the same scene. Clarity needs to come first in and adventure game, I think.

Toast Right

saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 04:49:13 AM »

Aweesome! Bring the point and click back to life!  Cheesy
By the way, I LOVE the second image, like Derek, I hope the 3d characters blend well, that will surely be difficult.

Helmeted
Level 0

Death Panelist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 06:34:40 AM »

I intend to let the high-res version have text activated by default even though we do have full voice acting. What do you think about that? I personally think text is very ugly but can truly be of help when a lot is going on at once in the same scene. Clarity needs to come first in and adventure game, I think.

I think that's for the best. Especially if you're using accents, some people have more trouble with that kind of thing than others. Also, it makes it less likely that someone will miss something due to distraction.

I think if subtitles are on by default people who'd rather not have them will look for a setting to turn them off, but if they're not on from the start the people who want them won't necessarily know that there's an option to have subtitles at all.

Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 01:00:57 AM »

saint11: Thanks for your encouraging words:) Yes, the 3d/2d blend will no doubts be one of the biggest obstacles to overcome in this project.

Helmeted: Yeah, I think your presumption regarding looking for the on/off feature. Thanks for your input there! I appreciate it a lot. If you've got any other thoughts I'd lvoe to hear 'em too! The more people voicing thoughts and opinions, the better.

Henrik (the animator on JD) just updated the blog with a first pre-render of our new fancy 3d characters. Please note that this is NOT what the final scene will look like. Lighting, shading and other fancy shizzles still needs to be put in place, also the backdrop is going to be animated and obviously there will be music and more sound effects. This is merely a sneek peak at a work in progress. If you're curious, check it out on the devblog through the link in this picture:

Also, here's your chance to listen to the wonderful voice of Anthony Sardinha, who is also cast for the role of Bwana.

Comments, as always, are appreciated! Thanks.

Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 01:39:26 AM »

We've just updated the devblog with a new voice sample, this time of the Dockmaster (Voiced by Scott Stoked). Check it below:

If you've got any thoughts about the voice cast so far, I'd love to hear 'em!

Helmeted
Level 0

Death Panelist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 07:22:38 AM »

Sounds good to me. Keep 'em coming!

Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 04:52:03 AM »

Helmeted: Thanks for the comment! I'm glad you like it. I hope the rest of the cast will do the job as well!

Here's another new screenie from the devblog. I'm happily painting away on the new room backdrops while Henrik keeps playing around with our rendering pipeline. Mathias has started scratching his head delving into the spaghetti code of the AGS engine, and Markus is, well, busy with other things.  Cool'

Man I'd love to give Bwana -the main character- unique frames in here sort of squeezing his body together against the cold. What a truly bad idea.  Beer!

Follow the devblog over at slxgames.com!

Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 05:25:18 AM »

Been doin' some more work on the backdrops to the intro!

Also there's a pseudo new post on the dev-blog about some of the new music, I recommend checking it out:)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:39:31 AM by Skygoblin » Logged

Helmeted
Level 0

Death Panelist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 06:23:11 AM »

Those links don't work, you've got and extra http:// and quotes, but I followed the link in your sig. 

That backdrop would make a nice wallpaper.

Skygoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 06:40:14 AM »

Thanks for pointing out the error, man:)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic