Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:19:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWow, Islands!!: The Great Coconut Quest
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wow, Islands!!: The Great Coconut Quest  (Read 1256 times)
Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2011, 07:24:18 PM »

I want to post things about this game. So I'm going to post things about this game. It's a sequel to "Wow, Islands And Stuff!", my game from Ludum Dare 17.

I'm also really tired so I am just going to post this character concept art and descriptions that I'd already finished writing, and I will write gameplay stuff and post it some time soon, and then I'll move on to the status updates.

Note that the game is still pixel art and stuff but I am just doing this as concept art to reference when I do make the sprites.

Liro (on right), the protagonist from the first game. He fled his home planet because he liked trees and he was sick of his tree-hating brethren being all anti-tree and such, and he's been living under the palm tree he found at the end of the first game ever since. (Note that there's no environmental theme to this game and in fact most of the antagonists like shrubs and fields and stuff. The comically irrational hatred of trees is just that.)

While he's taken on a redesigned appearance (and a name) for this game, his love of all things palmtree-related hasn't subsided. Liro can't communicate with the townspeople without a translator, which is often slightly "off", if you will. However, Mervin, being a nerd and all, speaks your language... if still not totally fluently, he at least does a better job.

Also here's his old and new sprite:

OLD: NEW:

Mervin (on left), a little nerdy kid obsessed with palm trees. His mother says nature will rot his brain and he should do something constructive like stay inside and play video games. When he meets Liro on the run from Good Lord, he gives him a place to hide. Their friendship ends up being mutually beneficial -- Liro has a place to stay and hide, and Mervin gets an opportunity to use his tree obsession -- and his knack for organizing data -- usefully.

Mervin becomes your sidekick, and he logs all your adventures (and thusly your data) in his notebook, manages the level entry in the hub town, and comes with you to the levels to give you mission hints and be there to take you back to said hub town.

Good Lord is the primary antagonist. (Name's a pretty obvious play on the exclamation "Good lord!" but to him it means "I am a lord and I am a good person!".) Obstensibly some sort of powerful monarch from Liro's homeworld. He seems to, at least superficially, like Liro, and says things like "WE MISSED YOU" and "WE WERE WORRIED SICK ABOUT YOU" when he tries to urge Liro home. Their species seems to HATE trees though, so he destroys Liro's tree in a rage. (He also offers Liro "ALL THE SHRUBBERY YOU COULD EVER POSSIBLY WANT", which of course Liro refuses.) Good Lord also felt inadequate due to his species' lack of arms (despite the species making up for it with telekinesis), so he built himself a robot arm to show off with.

Good Lord is completely, horribly self-centered and vain, and is not just incapable of understanding his own flaws, but incapable of understanding the fact that someone else may not like him (hence his name). He's not necessarily evil, just delusionally self-righteous. The vast majority of his speech is in ALL CAPS and never contains ending periods/full stops. He also frequently makes up words, much to the chagrin of the other characters.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:33:54 PM by Hinchy » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic