Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:47:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEndroit
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Endroit  (Read 2241 times)
Sakar
« on: March 27, 2011, 01:50:50 PM »

Due to a complete lack of anything to do this weekend, I decided to try and make a small metroidvania-type game. The game isn't really unique or innovative, and I'm not trying to be. At this point I'm just trying to finish a game for once.

So now onto the actual game. The idea is like that of every other metroidvania, wander around the world and collect all the -insert object here-. I'm not sure what the objects are going to be right now, but I will come up with something. Of course there will also be a few different powers, enemies, puzzles, and the like.

As of now it just has 1 powerup to obtain, and a very tiny little world. Development is going to be rather slow during the week as I have school, and that means I am unable to work on the game during the week. I will be able to respond to questions, though, so feel free to ask any!

Also here is an early video:

Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 05:10:34 PM »

Not bad for a start. I like the graphics, minimalism is my favorite. Could use a proper jump animation and a death animation though. Otherwise, keep it up.  Coffee

Sakar
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:36:07 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

Jumping animations will be added. I'm not really sure what to do for death though. Will have to experiment.
Sakar
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:24:16 PM »

Thanks mooosh!

Final update before this gets buried for a week: I have begun work on more areas to explore, and have added 2 new blocks as well as a new decorative "npc". Also a jumping animation. Should have a playable demo next weekend.
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 11:43:55 PM »

Why don't you make it a game about collecting 'somethings'? "Congratulations! You've accquired the red powerup that makes the red stuff in front of the door go away! Have fun backtracking."

I'm not actually that critical about metroidvania games, but my inner strickster cackles with glee at the idea of seeing the genre lampooned.

Sakar
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 07:42:58 AM »

Hmm, I might do something like that. Could be interesting
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »

Why don't you make it a game about collecting 'somethings'? "Congratulations! You've accquired the red powerup that makes the red stuff in front of the door go away! Have fun backtracking."

I'm not actually that critical about metroidvania games, but my inner strickster cackles with glee at the idea of seeing the genre lampooned.

Heh. That could be sufficiently amusing for a short game. Make all the powerups make silly changes to the environment but don't actually give the player any new abilities.

You got the red powerup! You can now touch red things without dying for no apparent reason.
You got the blue powerup! You can now jump over blue objects. (make blue things shorter)
You got the yellow powerup! You destroy yellow things by shooting them. Have fun! (don't put any yellow things in the game, and don't have a shooting mechanic.)
You got the green powerup! Green things are now on fire because they look awesome that way.
You got the orange powerup! Orange things are now afraid of you. (Make orange things, including rocks and maybe text or UI elements, get pushed away from the player)

edit: I suppose I should also say something on topic. The video looks good so far. Even simple, minimalistic games can be fun if they are short and have something memorable about them or if they have enough unique content.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
JasonPKaplan
Level 0

Never knows best.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 09:45:42 AM »

You got the green powerup! Green things are now on fire because they look awesome that way.
Hahah!

I'm interested in seeing where you end up taking this. Smiley

Sakar
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 01:05:48 PM »

Heh. That could be sufficiently amusing for a short game. Make all the powerups make silly changes to the environment but don't actually give the player any new abilities.

You got the red powerup! You can now touch red things without dying for no apparent reason.
You got the blue powerup! You can now jump over blue objects. (make blue things shorter)
You got the yellow powerup! You destroy yellow things by shooting them. Have fun! (don't put any yellow things in the game, and don't have a shooting mechanic.)
You got the orange powerup! Orange things are now afraid of you. (Make orange things, including rocks and maybe text or UI elements, get pushed away from the player)

edit: I suppose I should also say something on topic. The video looks good so far. Even simple, minimalistic games can be fun if they are short and have something memorable about them or if they have enough unique content.
Giving the player things which change the environment could be interesting actually. Will experiment with this
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 03:42:03 PM »

You... you don't realize how much of a genius you are... do you?
Sakar
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 04:53:30 PM »

slembcke's idea of having powerups effect the environment in different ways, has caused me to give it some thought.

Perhaps having the player acquire different colored powerups will effect the environment around the player and/or give the player (more or less) passive abilities. These different colors would be scattered about the environment, and only 1 power can be active at a time. The powers are identified by color, so the player will change color accordingly.

Some random thoughts:

• Light blue - Turns nearby water to ice
  • Red - Provides player immunity to fire
  • Purple - Player can interact with purple (ghostly) objects

What do you guys think? Any suggestions for powers or other ways to do this?
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 07:17:41 AM »

If you want to be serious and drop the sarcasm, sure. :p

Green does something with plants? Makes them grow taller or grow leaves that you can jump on like a trampoline.
Yellow has something to do with electricity or sunlight? Maybe allow you to walk on beams of light?
Orange for controlling magma?

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic