Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:19:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMaking a game about rewiring levels and punching people - here's my first video
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Making a game about rewiring levels and punching people - here's my first video  (Read 3214 times)
Pentadact
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2011, 03:01:55 PM »

I'm making a 2D infiltration game that lets you rewire its levels to mess with your enemies. It's ugly right now, but I made a video where I talk you through how it works - I'd love to know what you guys think.

http://www.pentadact.com/index.php/2011-03-28-let-me-mumble-you-through-an-early-version-of-gunpoint

That's a post with the vid links and a bit more explanation, here's the direct link to the video:

As I mention there I'm also on the lookout for an animator, so I've posted about this in the collaborations forum too. Posting here just to see what people think - I'm a games journalist and this is my first attempt at making a game.

Doing it in Game Maker, btw, inspired by Spelunky.
DanFornace
Level 1

danfornace.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 09:54:53 PM »

Wow this looks really amazing. Some great ideas here. I wonder if it would work as an iPad game. Either way. it looks really fun, and I want to play it now haha.

Good luck, and keep up with the updates.

-Dan
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:15:54 PM »

This is perhaps the most interesting stealth-genre game I've seen in the past couple years!  Best of luck with completing it, can't wait for a demo!
shig
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 06:30:44 AM »

Just a small thing: increase the volume in that video, man.

Game looks really promising, btw, but you're really going to need better graphics/animation.
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 09:48:29 AM »

This may have taken top spot on my most anticipated game list Addicted

I made a prototype with very similar movement a while ago, but I couldn't figure out anything remotely interesting to do with it. Good job dude, this looks perfect.

Hope you find someone who can do the game justice graphically Hand Thumbs Up Left
Pentadact
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 01:09:38 PM »

Wow, thanks guys! Agreed about the video volume - lots wrong with that, but it took me so long to make something I could release, I had to stop somewhere. I expected to be ripped to shreds for it, to be honest Smiley

Instead, I am slightly hyperventilating about Cactus liking the idea of my game. My Word!
Pentadact
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 01:15:43 PM »

Funny you should mention Introversion, Gabriel - I did send a build to Chris Delay, who's making Subversion. He says they had similar tools in Subversion, but it was too awkward to get the AI to react convincingly to rewired stuff. Hopefully I can get away with a pretty crude AI reaction in my game, one that'd be out of place in a more ambitious game like theirs.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 02:31:50 PM »

This looks awesome! I can't wait to play a demo!
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 05:24:03 PM »

This looks awesome, and I love the sound effects. Looking forward to seeing some more elaborate levels.

Balrog
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 08:26:21 PM »

It looks great. I love the punching sound.

AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 11:51:10 PM »

I could not get through that entire video.

Why? Because it was so bleeding hilarious! Jumping on guards and slapping hhem like a ninny? Confused guards trying a rewired lightswitch to no avail? Smacking a guard in the face with a door he himself opened? This is brilliantly bizzare and I love it!

I'm not sure if you still need any animations or spriting work, but I could possibly help you out.

See my portfolio here.

Keep up the great work man. This is great already.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 05:45:39 AM »

i like to punch people and things and have an impressive vertical leap
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 05:54:01 AM »

I like where this is going.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 06:01:05 AM »

Hmm you could make it where one punch knocks out, multiple punches cripple, more than that and your beating the dude into a bloody pump. I wonder if placing bodies in spots that will lead to guards to rush over to check on them? might lead to nice rube Goldberg machine to clearing the level. so do/will guards flip out when they can't escape from the dark if the lights don't work?
drChengele
Level 2

if (status = UNDER_ATTACK) launch_nukes();

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 08:05:30 AM »

Fantastic idea, I hope this is every bit as fun as it looks because it looks awesome. This is definitely on my watchlist.

Praetor
Currently working on : tactical battles.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 08:43:48 AM »

Wow!

PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »

I'm excited about the game (I've been following it for a while) and happy to see the reaction it's been getting on my 'home turf', but mostly I just came here to repost this character concept from your blog - not mine, made by someone going by "EthZee", but it fills me with laughter whenever I look at it. (In a good way!) So:

image by EthZee, not me!

Even if you don't end up selecting any of these people as an artist, this talent search has already become a success.

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 05:28:15 PM »

Sold.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

Your idea of fun seems very similar to my idea of fun, and I thoroughly approve. Mostly I just wish that I'd made this myself, or that I knew you well enough to have helped you make it. I do code rather than pixels though, so I doubt I can be of much use Sad

dangerousday
Level 1

iacedrom

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 06:40:21 PM »

Looking forward to this one  Shocked
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 04:00:39 AM »

I extremely hate platformers.

But this looks very cool! Keep at it!

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic