Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:50:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSTG:PT - Spoof Sci-Fi Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: STG:PT - Spoof Sci-Fi Game  (Read 2396 times)
MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 31, 2011, 04:55:05 PM »

STG: The Patience of Time

Fly around procedurally generated solar systems, land on planets, trade stuff, blow stuff up ect... Tongue

The ships are made of intercangable modular components (using ASCII characters)

Demo

stg_pt_v0.5_.7z

stg_pt_0.4_.7z
stg_pt_v0.3_.7z
stg_pt_v0.2_.7z
stg_pt_v0.1_.7z

Default controls
W,A,S,D - Move
Left, Right - Turn
R,F - Warp Factor

Space - Grav Brake
X - Negative Friction drive

+,- - Zoom Map

+,- = Zoom Map

Also supports dual analog controllers but you might need to reconfigure it in the user.cfg file
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 06:19:11 AM by MysticSi » Logged

MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 06:44:34 AM »

I've written some silly nonsensical Techno-Babble to describe some of the ship sub-systems.

Linear Subspace Displacement Drive
Causes the merging of Space-Time and The Quantum Hyper-Metric Manifolds.
This allows for the controlled manipulation of the curvature of space using a non-impractical amount of energy.
The region of space surrounding the ship can thus be moved faster than the speed of light, whilst the ship maintains a sub-light local velocity.

Negative Friction Drive
Using another application of The Quantum Hyper-Metric Manifolds, the NFD surrounds the ship with a cloud of negatrons, static in motion relative to the ship. As negatrons exhibit inverse friction a negative force directly unproportional to velocity is exerted upon the ship, causing exponential acceleration.

Although the drive will eventually produce the infinite force necessary to break the light barrier, pilots are advised to refrain from doing so as the large complex numbers will exceed the Plank limit causing tremendous rounding errors, destroying the entire universe in the process.

Clank Adjuster
Without this device hyperspace travel is impossible.
These things were designed by hyper-computers running an infinite iteration of genetic evolution algorithms. The resultant blueprints and are then forged by a Universal Constructor, meaning no one knows how they actually work.

MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 08:16:30 AM »

I've been working on an algorithm to generate stars within clusters.
I still need to modify it to make sure the star system's radius falls within the cluster's radius for collision purposes.

MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:24:25 PM »

Added a radar/mini map. Zooming in and out can even be assigned to an analog control

You can see the star clusters if you zoom out far enough, but apart from a test planet and an asteroid sized moon, the clusters are currently empty. Not that you'll get very far without warp drive, unless your very very patient.

Demo
stg_pt_v0.2_.7z

saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:57:26 AM »

ASCII art, procedural maps and Sci-fi? You have something very interesting there, sir Smiley

MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 09:22:20 AM »

it's not really a spoof of any one thing in particular, just sci-fi in general, kind of like 'hitchhikers guide to the galaxy'

MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 10:50:32 AM »

I've got a new demo, you can now fly around a small solar system using warp drive.

There's also a html manual I'm writing for the game titled "The Space Tourist Guide"
well it doesn't say much about how to play the game ATM just more Techno-Babble.
I just generally write the first thing that comes to mind, so its mostly just very silly.

Demo
stg_pt_v0.3_.7z

Just in time for the 50th anniversary of maned space flight I guess.

Eternal Man
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »

First off, PGC+Space=epIc.

Secondly, I'm having some problems with the controls.

1.) It's constantly zooming out, reaching ridiculous numbers of (-)Z-factor. I'm not able to manipulate it in any way.

2.) I don't really have any control over the vessel. It seems to be constantly accelerating/deccelerating when it shouldn't. A few gauges measuring velocity/angle/etc. would be awesome.

3.) One shouldn't travel at warp factor 4690~.

Btw, I liked the Guide!

//EE
MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 03:37:45 AM »

hmmm perhaps it has something to do with game pad support, are you using a game-pad?
If not you could try removing the controller bindings from user.cfg

Yea I was thinking of limiting warp to about 200, then you would use hyperspace to cross interstellar space, which works by compressing the size of the universe.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:02:38 AM by MysticSi » Logged

MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 04:27:16 AM »

Demo
stg_pt_0.4_.7z

i have made a check to prevent off screen rendering, meaning there is now a larger solar system to fly around in, without slowing down the game.

you can now also create craters in the planets, currently only with a console command (press F1) 'splode 1' where 1 is the radius of the crater, you can then carve out tunnels in the planet. use 'splode 0' to return to normal.

I still need to implement an event messaging system before ships can fire weapons.

i also added a random music generator, although it sounds like cheesy elevator music and will probably get annoying after a while
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:08:03 AM by MysticSi » Logged

MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 06:17:18 AM »

Demo
stg_pt_v0.5_.7z

You are now able to fire a weapon and drop bombs witch can create craters on platelets. There is also dynamic music created by Zach Beever.

I have also added effects caused by special relativity, such as the mass of the ship increasing, time dilation (in the music and sound effects), and the blue shifting of the background stars.

Since the game is set in an alternate universe it has a much lower speed of light at 14,477 m/s.

When using the conventional drive it should be impossible to go faster than light but you now have to be careful when using the 'Negative Friction Drive' as it can easily exceed the speed of light and uh... destroy the universe.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic