Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:40:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBRAVEKID mini SOLITAIRE
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BRAVEKID mini SOLITAIRE  (Read 6728 times)
jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2007, 05:23:55 PM »

Because you are quite good at ignoring my feedback requests (with some weak links amongst you) and because I am a stubborn mammal I decided that I will just keep nagging you with new announcements until you go mad. Smiley (where is that devil emoticon?)

BRAVEKID mini SOLITAIRE is released finally. It is a free online and off-line solitaire made specifically for kids.

It has only 20 cards (10 red and 10 blue) and is because of this much quicker to solve... kids learn about numbers and have to also use their brains in the-solitare-way to solve the levels... (which means they get smarter - if you don't know)

Your kids can play it online or download it here: http://www.bravekidgames.com/bravekid_mini_solitaire/

This is also the look of the new vectorish bravekid on new BK website we are making. I have drawn it so you better not say he's ugly.

As allways any feedback is greatly appreciated.  Kiss (now where is that devil emoticon again?)

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 04:35:55 AM »

I can see the merit in this to teach children about their numbers and colors.  HOWEVER, you are taking an already simple game and making it simpler, and in light of that, I think you can afford some work on making the presentation as engaging as possible!

1. You MUST HAVE some sound and music!  Really!  Especially for a children's game.

2. I'd suggest removing the numbers from the corners by default and only having them appear when another card is covering them.  It's an unnecessary distraction and adds confusion to the game.

3. The pixel character on the card back is rather incongruous with the rest of the game.

4. Better "How to Play" geared for kids that is more interactive.

5. Generally the graphics are alright, but they're very sparse and not very engaging.  The character on the title screen is really generic, and I'm not sure why he has a magnifying glass.  I'd like to see a character that talked to you and congratulated you when you did a good job.  (He could teach you how to play, also.)

6. Really annoying to stack the cards into the two piles after they're all ordered.  The game should do this for you, as you've essentially "won" by this point and the rest is busywork.  Seeing the cards fly over to the pile would add some satisfaction for winning, also.

Hope that helps. Smiley
jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 05:20:07 AM »

That is great feedback. I must say I agree with all your points. I will probalby not act on all of them but I agree with them and have to think a little about it. Will reply later.

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 07:09:51 AM »

Yeah, kids love noise. If you have a kid nearby, give them anything that makes noise. Anything! They'll play with it for months on end just to see the veins on your forehead throb.

I agree also with Derek on asking why the guy has a little magnifying glass. Kids should have better eyesight than geriatrics, so they won't need a magnifying glass to inspect the cards. Smiley

jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 09:23:11 AM »

Me and my wife are still thinking what to do about points Deker made... but I can answer to this "magnifying glass" thing.

He holds this thing in front of him because he is Bravekid (from www.bravekidgames.com ) and bravekid could be characterized as a generic looking kid with red hair who holds something that people think is a magnifiying glass infront of him. That is his recognizable sign... Smiley ... (we are just changing the website design so this vectorized and bigger kid is supposed to replace that pixelated little one.)

And why is original Bravekid holding that thing? Well... I believe in design-by-accident a lot. Back then where there was no bravkidgames I wanted to make a little flash bubble bobble like game where a kid holding a bubble making toy would run and jump on those platforms blowing bubbles into evil creatures and you know... so I made this sprite with a kid first... then I canceled the idea and I had that sprite lying around and I didn't want to throw it away so I made a website for games for kids where I could use it in a header (or something like that). So it's technically not a magnifying glass... Smiley

I am really cheap when it comes to art... here is another use of that poor little sprite http://www.bravekidgames.com/flash_game_bravekid_lost_puppies.php
btw... my really favorite level at this Lost Puppies game is no. 3 in HARD... please try it (and then make and donate me 20 levels like this one)...  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 09:29:02 AM by jankoM » Logged

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 10:46:40 AM »

Okay, so he's holding a magnifying glass but it doesn't really look like he's actually using it. More like just holding it out as if to give it to someone. No personality of curiosity, see?

Nice simplification of the game, and I don't really have much to say beyond what Derek's said.

jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 11:47:17 AM »

Hmmm... now that you said it I looked it again ... it really looks like he wants to give it to someone. The problem is I am not an artist and even this *generic boy* is a peak of my visual art succeses.. Now I should add personality and stuff to him..  hmmm... I will try althougth I have no idea how.

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »

Eyebrows.

They are the obvious source of Derek's power.

jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 12:12:39 PM »

1. You MUST HAVE some sound and music!  Really!  Especially for a children's game.

The problem is that I can't really do any music... I can try and draw a little but music is a no-no. My wife will try to find some free sfx on the net... music is also not so urgent IMO because this is a flash game and small download is important.

2. I'd suggest removing the numbers from the corners by default and only having them appear when another card is covering them.  It's an unnecessary distraction and adds confusion to the game.

This is interesting idea.... I am not sure if it's urgent but it can make a picture more clear for kids. I will try to do it.

3. The pixel character on the card back is rather incongruous with the rest of the game.

Yes, this is true... I wanted to leave it as a memory of the old bravekid.. but it you are correct... it doesn't match with the rest of the style I will do something else there.

4. Better "How to Play" geared for kids that is more interactive.

There will be two youtube videos of how to solve levels on the webpage, and additional instructions... but I agree that the instructions now are not really that nice... more like an excuse "ok... we have instructions" .. but it's really hard for me to explain in english lang. how to play such game... I will se.. if I get any good ideas we will make them better.

5. Generally the graphics are alright, but they're very sparse and not very engaging.  The character on the title screen is really generic, and I'm not sure why he has a magnifying glass.  I'd like to see a character that talked to you and congratulated you when you did a good job.  (He could teach you how to play, also.)

Graphics are made by me and I am not really good at drawing... sometimes I manage to get something together but I allways stay at minimum because I can ruin the image with any new step. I don't know what to do with the kid but I will try to change it little here and little there and add some eyebrows Wink and se if something better comes out. We (me & wife) decided that instead of that rotating BRAVO! when you finishe the level bravekid wil popup and say that... it will probably be nicer..

6. Really annoying to stack the cards into the two piles after they're all ordered.  The game should do this for you, as you've essentially "won" by this point and the rest is busywork.  Seeing the cards fly over to the pile would add some satisfaction for winning, also.

Yes. Correct again. My wife who tested the levels agrees to the death. I will try making cards fly over there when all cards are turned and sorted..

Thanks for your feedback.
Janko

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic