Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:54:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Mists
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Red Mists  (Read 9827 times)
Mhaine
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:52:55 AM »

And the wild regrets, and the bloody sweats,
      None knew so well as I:
      For he who lives more lives than one
      More deaths than one must die.
-Oscar Wilde

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:23:07 AM by Greys » Logged
JasonPKaplan
Level 0

Never knows best.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:04:54 AM »

This looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure I would actually like this kind of game, personally.  I'm checking out Vae Victis Lacrimosa now to get an idea.  In any case, I'll keep my eye on this.

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 02:00:57 PM »

Looks nice thus far, though I don't really like the way the rats are so much higher res than the other characters. I know you're going for a distinct style but it just looks off.
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 01:36:22 AM »

This is my kind of game. Just wondering how you're going to implement combat with no randomness. I'm trying to find a balance in my game now, I'm curious as to your technical/philosophical outlook on the issue.

Good luck! The world needs more turn based tactical games!

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 01:53:56 AM »

I mean, I'm not going off anything but mock-up screens, and I really really enjoyed Vae Victis, incoherent as it was. (it's still on my desktop, for easy starting purposes!)

But how will this be different from the aforementioned?

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Mhaine
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 06:35:41 AM »

This is my kind of game. Just wondering how you're going to implement combat with no randomness. I'm trying to find a balance in my game now, I'm curious as to your technical/philosophical outlook on the issue.

Good luck! The world needs more turn based tactical games!
Indeed it does, my friend.

A balanced combat system is hard to implement. Even in turn-based games like chess, there is imbalance because of the first move advantage. Most of the time, people put randomness into their games because balancing then becomes much more straightforward. It is much simpler to say that a unit has about 20% chance to deal twice the damage it would normally deal than to iron out the advantages of units. Personally, I think that randomness is not a bad thing to have; however, it makes a game hard to balance, and allows the developer to exploit the players, like in WoW. Blizzard is known for helping imbalance to exist in the game so that players will be forced to play other classes, or just to play more to be useful to their parties. Such problems are, however, not that important to single player games, unless you are intent on making a game that will be praised for its genius.

This is how combat works in Red Mists:
•   Every unit has 5 main stats: HP, Move Range, Attack Range, Damage, Class. Classes provide weaknesses, buffs and skills to use. Terrain can affect damage, move range and attack range.
•   Every unit has a morale stat, which is initially 100. Whenever the unit deals damage its morale gets reduced by 2, and whenever the unit is attacked its morale is reduced by 4. Skills and the terrain the unit is on also affects its morale. After a certain loss of morale, the unit breaks (surrenders), goes berserk or runs away. This behaviour is dependant on the unit's class.

But how will this be different from the aforementioned?

VVL was a project whose sole purpose was to make me learn something about game making and coding in GM8. While I may not guarantee that Red Mists will be exceptionally good, it will be better than VVL in that it will not be linear, unbalanced and buggy. I am considering to have at least Shogun: Total War gameplay in the final product. The gameplay is already miles ahead of what was in VVL, with units getting bonuses in flank attacks and gaining advantages for being nearby allies.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 07:04:16 PM »

Suh-weet!

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
JasonPKaplan
Level 0

Never knows best.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:49:06 AM »

This looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure I would actually like this kind of game, personally.  I'm checking out Vae Victis Lacrimosa now to get an idea.  In any case, I'll keep my eye on this.

What kind of games do you like? To be more specific, what would make you like this game? This question is of immense importance to me.

Hmm.  Well.  I tried some of Vae and was mostly enjoying it, until I kind of lost interest, but I don't think that's your design or fault; I'm just not really an avid player of strategy/tactics kind of games.  Generally speaking, every battle feels very same-y.  I'll certainly give Red Mists a go when it's playable, though, and truly hope I do enjoy it.  In short, I'm just not your target audience. :P

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 02:16:25 AM »

This game looks really promising, will it be free?

Fauxfox
Level 0

Never knows best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 02:02:02 PM »

that's really looking promising. old school mode for teh win.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 04:45:57 PM »

That indie mode is absolutely the coolest game mode ever. Very nice idea.  Hand Thumbs Up Left
I love how your "difficulty" modes are more about how you want to play the game than just increasing/decreasing difficulties.

Cosr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 11:54:52 PM »

Oh, this looks exciting. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this; hoping for some good turn based tactics. I think I'll have to give Vae Victis Lacrimosa a try sometime soon.

RCIX
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 09:43:04 AM »

Who, Me?

i think this art style just won the internets. By itself. That's how good it is. Reminds me of Eufloria a bit....

(that's to say nothing of the actual gameplay, since i love turn based strategy Grin)
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 01:33:30 PM »

Looking very good, the battle screens remind me a fair bit of the combat in the old Gold Box D&D games (Pool of Radiance, etc). Looking forward to see where this goes

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Daniel Seabra
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 12:28:07 PM »

This looks awesome. Those game-type banners...oh man, that is so beautiful.

And the whole tactical idea...let's just say I can get behind a game like this.

Full speed development has just begun! I hope I will have something playable by the middle of July, as the time I spent not developing the game made my dreams about the project even more ambitious.
Can't wait for July! But be wary not to let your ambitions run you haggard and destroy the game. That would be awful.

I still don't know which hosting service I should be using. Dreamhost seems to be a better choice than Bluehost, but Dreamhost is marginally more expensive. I don't know what I should do.
Why not consider using a free hosting service unti lthe game is complete or at least far enough to have tons of use?

Fixed all of the remaining display problems that resulted from increasing the resolution.
I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but consider drawing your sprites in such a way that you can change your resolution at will without having to fix anything. That way, you could perhaps add a resolution change option to the game.

I'm just some bloke. Going to go to Pasadena, CA, for four years so if you're over there gimme a shout-out. Will be cool to get to know some people.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 12:14:15 PM »

this looks excellent but why is everything so washed out? Or are those the titular 'Mists'?

InhumanUndeadGames
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 12:57:31 PM »

Would you like to do an interview about the creation of the game so far? It'd be my first interview, but I'd post it on my site.
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 12:58:56 PM »

This looks extremely sexy. My only complaint is with the fire effect. It's a little hard to describe exactly what's wrong with it... maybe you could giving it a wider base and having it taper off at the top creating a more triangular shape. Something a little bit more like this:

Looking forward to the demo Smiley

fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 03:41:23 PM »

That looks much better. I'm surprised this project isn't getting more attention, it looks really cool.

Mud Tea
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 03:06:58 PM »

This looks really nice, looking forward to it! I am quite a turnbased strategy/tactics fan and there isn't much to play around with these days.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic