Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:45:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsTrade Secret Art Competition
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Trade Secret Art Competition  (Read 2891 times)
tylerthedesigner
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »

Trade Secret Art Competition!
3/31 - 4/22

The Trade Secret team would like to formally invite you to partake in an art competition. We want to give the community a chance to offer up their creative input, and more importantly, show off their work!

Over the next three weeks we will be accepting any of the following pieces for consideration:

* Armor Model - Model a full set of armor for the player character to wear!
    * Armor Concept - Concept an interesting & cool armor set for our modelers to create!
    * Weapon Model - Model a unique weapon for the character to use!
    * Weapon Concept - Concept a new weapon for our modelers to create!
    * Main Character Alternative Texture - Create a new look for our main character!

If the team really likes your piece we'll put it in the game and give you full credit. Offensive or trademarked material will not be accepted. The final deadline is April 22th, after which we will begin reviewing submissions.

Theme Guidelines:

Trade Secret is a 2.5D action-adventure platformer set in a post apocalyptic world deep underground. Society is cut off from the surface and has fallen into chaos; Scavenging & Salvaging are necessary for survival. If you can't build it with your hands, chances are you don't have it.
"Junkyard Hero". Armor and weapons created from whatever can be scavenged. Equipment can use one of three energy types: Clockwork, Hydraulic, and Tesla. Not all items have to use energy, but it is a major feature of the game. If you need further reference here are some of our current Armor/Weapon models.

Finally, if you are still looking for inspiration, why not play the current version of the game? Check it out at www.tradesecretgame.com

Some examples of current Trade Secret art

Engine on a Stick

Cinder Block Hammer

Ukravtaprom Armor

Mad Pipe Armor

Technical Guidelines:

How big? How many tris? What format? Can I bring my own cake? These questions are answered here.

Concept Art
Please submit your art as a JPEG at a minimum of 200dpi at 1024x1024

Models
Armor under 6k tris.
Weapons under 3k tris.
You can go over by a couple hundred, but be reasonable!

Texture
2048x2048 diffuse
2048x2048 spec, glow, or normal (Only two maps total please!)
(The main character model should be attached to the post)
How to submit:

Once your work is completed, email it to:
[email protected]

Please send the final version zipped with your name in the file name. Zipped submissions must be less than 20mb.

Legal Shenanigans:

IN NO EVENT WILL TRADE SECRET BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOST, DAMAGED, LATE, OR UNFINISHED SUBMISSIONS ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PRODUCT AND/OR SOFTWARE OR THE BREACH OF THIS AGREEMENT, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY WORKS SUBMITTED THAT ARE TRADEMARKED, PREVIOUSLY COPYRIGHTED OR NON-ORIGINAL WORK. IF SAID SUBMISSION(S) ARE FOUND AND VERIFIED TO BE IN BREACH OF OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES, THE SUBMISSION(S) WILL BE INVALID. ALL ORIGINAL WORK SUBMITTED BY CONTEST ENTRANTS WILL NOT BE RETURNED. WE WILL RETAIN THE RIGHT TO USE YOUR SUBMISSION IN TRADE SECRET AND ALL RELATED MARKETING MATERIALS WITHOUT COMPENSATION TO THE CREATORS.

Prizes:

Winners will be announced on April 29th. Each category may have a single, or multiple winners. Winning art will be incorporated into the game, and all contributing artists will have their name included in the credits.

We will also make a 3d print of any winning models, and send them to the winner.

Concept Art: Concept Pieces will be turned into a model and be textured to be used in game.

Models: Models will be textured and used in game.

Textures: The best Main Character re-skin will replace the current in game texture we use.

You have until April 22th to submit your Armor/Weapon Model/Concept or Main Character Texture to us at [email protected] . If we like it, it will go in the game; if not, I hope you had fun making it & feel free to use it for your own purposes.

You can also find this information on our ModDB page here: http://www.moddb.com/games/tradesecret/features/trade-secret-art-competion
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:12:45 PM »

I think this is the business model of the future.
Keep at it guys.
 Wizard

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 08:09:52 AM »

"Make stuff, and we might include it in our game. Also, we own all submissions regardless of anything."
Dunno, doesn't sound much like a competition to me.
tylerthedesigner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 02:27:41 PM »

"Make stuff, and we might include it in our game. Also, we own all submissions regardless of anything."
Dunno, doesn't sound much like a competition to me.
Your probably right. However, we want to be able to use any entries on anything related to Trade Secret. We will credit everyone in each situation where their entries are used. To look at that in a more positive light, that means even if you don't win the competition, you may still get your entry into the game.
We wrote it in that way in case we get too many good entries to pick from. We just wanted to make sure that we didn't have to reject some amazing artwork because of the competition rules.
I hope that makes sense? If you feel this is unfair, please suggest an alternative.

Cool competition guys. I will definitely be participating.
Two questions:
1. Will you be accepting concept art entries made completely in pencil (black and white)? Or do you prefer coloured entries?
2. Is there a limit to entries per person? Or are we allowed to submit multiple entries?

Looking forward to seeing your entries! And to answer your questions - yes.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 03:45:09 PM »

I guess that makes sense.
Still, it seems a bit strange that you won't actually "win" anything (except fame and glory, of course), even though you contribute to something I guess you're planning to make money on?
tylerthedesigner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 03:49:32 PM »

I guess that makes sense.
Still, it seems a bit strange that you won't actually "win" anything (except fame and glory, of course), even though you contribute to something I guess you're planning to make money on?

I guess I should make it known that the Trade Secret team comprises mostly of students. So, our budget is pretty much nothing.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 02:29:41 AM »

Okay.
But if you're in lack of a skilled artist, why don't you just ask someone to join your team?
tylerthedesigner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 12:35:31 PM »

Okay.
But if you're in lack of a skilled artist, why don't you just ask someone to join your team?

We have very many skilled artists. This competition is not because we are desperate need of art, it is simply to allow the community to be part of the game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic