Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 08:14:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Show us your level editor(s)!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Show us your level editor(s)!  (Read 39870 times)
eva
BANNED
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 04:44:45 PM »

its on a pc but built for a xbox pad.. easier to write cos i dont hav to do all that 3d mouse math

sinoth
Level 0

hotdogger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 08:42:07 PM »

I hacked the Blender .obj export script for my own nefarious purposes, so Blender is my level editor.  Is that cheating? xD

i am not regret
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 09:02:31 PM »

Editor currently being used for Welkinhold (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=16599.0):

Also a slightly modified version is in use for this prototype:

andrew-101
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 10:54:01 PM »

I added a console to my game, coded a couple functions into it and edit levels like that. No time wasted on any UI's.

I hacked the Blender .obj export script for my own nefarious purposes, so Blender is my level editor.  Is that cheating? xD
Thats pretty cool, I guess thats the benefits of using a program written half in python Tongue

2D puzzle game: tectonicgame.com
Codestar
Level 1

One man, one game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 08:21:16 AM »

I made my level editor in Game maker, this is an older screenshot of it. I've improved upon it a lot since this was taken.

I also made a c# port of it at one time, but now I've expanded upon the GM one and don't use this anymore.

Check out my current game project:
Mine to the sky
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 08:12:44 PM »

I also use Blender as my level editor. Not the greatest interface for configuring placed object properties, but it works. And I like that it's so scriptable. In addition to a custom export script, I whipped up a custom texture alignment script that's more suited to large flat world geometry than any of the default unwrapping.

Nix
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 05:33:20 AM »

I made my level editor in Game maker, this is an older screenshot of it.

Doesn't Game Maker have a built in level editor? Or is it something that you can't do a whole lot with for advanced things? I don't know much about Game Maker and I haven't touched it for years.
Twitch
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 06:17:35 AM »

Jesse went a little overboard with decorating it, but I'm not complaining  Coffee
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 12:17:55 PM »

Doesn't Game Maker have a built in level editor? Or is it something that you can't do a whole lot with for advanced things? I don't know much about Game Maker and I haven't touched it for years.

GM does have a "Room editor" which can be used for level creation. The problem is that it's not going to be an efficient editor for all game types - it doesn't let you do anything to set custom properties on objects, to name one major missing feature - so a lot of GM users have moved away from using it, and just treat it as one of many methods of initializing gameplay.

Eraser
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 12:47:50 PM »

GM does have a "Room editor" which can be used for level creation. The problem is that it's not going to be an efficient editor for all game types - it doesn't let you do anything to set custom properties on objects, to name one major missing feature - so a lot of GM users have moved away from using it, and just treat it as one of many methods of initializing gameplay.
CTRL+RMB, "Creation code"

There are a lot of other things wrong with it.
1. Slow. Add a few hundred tiles and see how it works..
2. Not pretty. No possibility for making unimportant objects/tiles partially transparent, no drawing bounding boxes, no great grid customization.

Granted, the grid + slowness are supposedly being addressed in 8.1+ soo, that will be nice.
anosou
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 01:16:19 PM »

Kinten and thewreck uploaded a video about the level editor in Cobalt:

I've yet tried to master it but I can assure you the results are genius Wink
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 01:23:51 PM »

FEZZER

There's like a million modal forms and stuff that would be too revealing so I'll just show the basics...

randomnine
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 01:30:34 PM »

Here's an editor I put together for my platformer. I wrote up how it works already if anyone's curious.

The editor as a whole is just a different build of the game, so you’re running around controlling the astronaut and interacting with stuff as usual while fiddling with the world. It makes tile editing super immediate, since you can just test out jumps as you’re building them or fiddle with a level mid-playthrough.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 01:48:20 PM »

This thread is awesome Grin

I recently spent a couple of weeks working on a really elaborate editor for a new game I'm making:

And here's a video I uploaded years ago for another forum with a level editor from an old abandoned game:

ChevyRay
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2011, 01:48:59 PM »

EDIT: that looks really cool, Terry! Also, Fezzer looks great :D

Awesome topic! I love level editors; if I could get a well-paid job just making level editors for games, I'd probably take it. That being said, here's various editors and stuff I use:

This is Ogmo Editor. I didn't make this, but I've used it for 2 or 3 game projects now, and it's quite popular amongst FlashPunk users. It's made by my friend Matt Thorson. It's nice because it has Tileset, Object, and Grid layers, and also allows you to assign your own instance variables to objects for customization. Objects can be rotated, scaled, and resized, which is nice, and grid layers are great for games with tile/rectangle-based collision. The tile editing is too awkward for me though, and you run into problems if you want to resize your level late in the process or move around large chunks of it.

Editor made for a game Adam Atomic and I are working on. It's mostly a tile-editor, it has 3 layers, the middle-most which is used in determining the collision. There is also object placement; objects have two different modifier controls which are customized in the code for the editor, so it'd never really be useful for anything other than this game, but the tile editing is really quick and easy. Plus, the map is divided into a bunch of "rooms", which you can view all at once while working on a large map. The best part is that if you zoom out, you exit "tiling" mode and go into "room" mode, in which you can actually move entire rooms around the map if you decide you want to re-arrange large chunks. Perfect for exploration games, metroid type stuff, etc.

And this is my latest masterpiece, and something I am actually working on as we speak. It looks really simple, but it's deceivingly complex. This is actually not just a level editor, but an object editor as well. The idea is that you'd also use it to define the look and collision of all your game objects. You can also place objects within other objects (non-recursively), and since it makes no distinction between "levels" and "objects", this means that you can increasingly sub-divide the parts of your game into however you want it organized and then load it all in accordingly. I'm worried that the open-ended-ness of this editor will make it too confusing to use, but I think it'll be extremely powerful when you do understand how flexible it is, so I'll probably launch it with some video tutorials and example projects when it is complete.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2011, 01:56:58 PM »

Wait! I can post something more interesting than the Nexus City one - here's what the editor for VVVVVV looks like:

Conker534
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2011, 02:04:32 PM »

Wait so its smarter to make a level maker for game maker then using the pre-made one?
ChevyRay
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2011, 02:06:34 PM »

Not if the Game Maker room editor can do everything you need it to. But for example, if you wanted to be able to zoom in on stuff, or define polygon shapes, or maybe visually define behaviour of placed instances, Game Maker's room editor just wouldn't cut it.
Conker534
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 02:08:04 PM »

Rad idea! ^_^
William
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 02:43:57 PM »

Well, it's more or less my first post on TIGForums but the topic is really interesting so...

So I think it's quite clear : it's the ingame editor of Blocks That Matter, the very first "real" game we will release. You jump to editor / game in 2 seconds, there are layers (on the right), elements for the current layer at the top, info of the current element at the bottom and...that's it.

My favorite feature : we can draw the ground with only one ground bloc and the tiles are automatically selected in the tile map to create the good geometry Smiley
You can see the editor in action here :

It's a very comfortable editor and I love playing working with it every day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic