Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:39:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Show us your level editor(s)!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Show us your level editor(s)!  (Read 39892 times)
Trent
Level 0

Someday I'll make games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2013, 03:22:39 AM »

wow, that is the default editor of flashpunk?

Sadly not. Its minimalcomps and some reflection code I came across.

richardjdare
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2013, 02:44:21 PM »

This is the editor for my iPhone game, Toxin. It's my first ever mac os program and its pretty clunky. Doesn't matter too much since I am the only person who'll ever use it! I've really enjoyed coding on the mac though. Cocoa is nice.

It's written in objective c, with some C++ bits from the game in it. The levels are stored as JSON files using the sbjson library. The editor uses the same opengl engine as the game. It took me about 20 minutes to make it cross-platform.

The game graphics in this pic are pretty old. I don't have a more recent one that I can link to unfortunately, but the editor is unchanged.

For my next project I'd like to build the editor into the game itself (It will probably be a desktop project). It gets frustrating having to save levels, compress em, and copy the file into the project every time i want to try something.

What I'd *really* like to do is make my game as a kind of lisp machine type thing, where I can hit a key at any time, bring up a console and start manipulating the game as it runs. But my big goal at the moment is learning to create projects I can actually finish Grin

Just released Antigen (http://antigengame.com) for iPhone and iPod Touch
Prads
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2013, 08:29:42 PM »

For Chaos Shell, I built an external level editor in Qt/C++. The level editor not only allows user to create levels and stuff but it also allows designers to change enemies behavior by controlling their variables. It also has 'Test' function which runs a special build of the game that allows designers to test the level they just created, meaning they don't have to copy/paste the level data back and forth if they want to test some changes to the level.

My favorite feature is the playtest timer feature which allows us to record data about the playtest and save them for future references. Here's the screenshot:

wbahnassi
Level 0

3D Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2013, 02:23:55 PM »

Here are screenshots from my editor (Cosmoform) that I've used in various projects so far and now for Hyper Void.

This is the splash screen:

and this is a screenshot from the Logical editor in the program. I use it to build the flow and logic of almost all living objects in the game.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2013, 12:43:26 PM »

Here are screenshots from my editor (Cosmoform) that I've used in various projects so far and now for Hyper Void.
This looks cool, wanna tell us more about it?
wbahnassi
Level 0

3D Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2013, 01:41:44 PM »

Sure, Cosmoform is an editor I wrote from scratch using C#/WPF/C++. I started working on it since 2007... the goal was to have an editor that allows me to build a wide variety of games, not just limited to 3D FPS games or RTS games or whatever (e.g. as is the case with Unreal or Frostbite).

I have dealt with a variety of real-world editors during my days at EA, and I wanted to have something that saves me from all the sufferings I had to go through when using their editors (Frostbite 2+ being an exception.. that one is really slick). Mainly, bad inconsistent interface design.. where under every button lies a crash or an exception.

So, kinda out of frustration, I started this rather too-large-for-one-person project: a full game editor that can serve all disciplines in game development. For example, a programmer does certain tasks while a level designer does something else that is also different to an artist. Hence, I made Cosmoform with the concept of "Role" or "Discipline" which you specify when you are working (see pic below).

Each role exposes different controls to the user. For example, the "Programmer" mode can define data structures and dictate the build process and specify how assets make it into the game run-time and how the data is stored...etc. Such controls are not exposed to "Designer" or "Art" mode in order to avoid cluttering the UI with unnecessary buttons and menus.

Once everything in place, you can press one button to build the entire game and get a ready-to-burn .ISO or .MSI installer for your game which you can distribute to your clients. The picture below is for the "Disc Layout" editor, through which you specify the CD contents and their layout (order of files on the disc, inside to outside).

6 years from starting developing Cosmoform, I still feel I need to do a lot of work, as there are many features that have not been implemented yet and are waiting in the design documents, but at least it is stable and productive. Moreover, it's starting to look a bit out-dated and I'm considering upgrading its UI controls with something more sophisticated than plain .NET controls.

I hope you like this story Wizard

okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2013, 07:04:29 PM »

Here's a level editor for a Rodents Revenge-like game I wrote back in 2010.  It was written in C#.

nikmes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2013, 01:54:29 PM »

Below is screenshot of a 2D Level Editor that i am developing to use in a game that i am planning to make if i ever find time....  Sad The editor is written in C++ and rendering is done using OpenGL. It supports multiple layers and different scrolling speed for each layer (parallax). Is possible to add Box2D lines that are used for collision detection. Editor has a tile mode to allow alignment of tiles while placing and a freehand mode. I have a lot in mind to add but my time is very limited.... I also tried to integrate AntTweakBar but i have some issues with GLFW3 and Text Input for AntTweakBar text components...

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 05:53:16 AM by nikmes » Logged
quixoticproject
Level 0

just looking around

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2013, 08:54:38 AM »

The image shows the current version of our level editor. The corresponding game has no name yet, I think as soon as we come up with a name there will be a devlog too.

So, on the right you can see a tileset selector that switches between different tilesets. Right below the select box are a lot of check boxes. These control which components a tile gets when drawn to the canvas. For example if one unchecks the "Box2s" the tile will not be added to the physics caluations.

On the lower right you can see some layer controls. Layers can be added as pleased and can additionally have a parallax factor that controls how the tiles in that layer behave when the camera moves.

In the upper middle there is a simple grid control. Tiles can be aligned to the grid and to its rotation.

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2013, 09:21:23 PM »

I've posted about this in the Oni World development thread, but figured I may aswell post here too!

Here's a breakdown of what each icon does:
  • 4 arrows - Camera panning and zooming (zoom by holding control)
  • Arrow/pointer - Pick entity, move entity, scale entity and rotate entity
  • Lightbulb - Toggle lightmap on/off
  • Pencil - Edit entity properties
  • Trash can - Delete entity
  • R-Lock - Lock rotation
  • S-Lock - Lock scale
  • Z-lock - Select game layer objects only

The buttons are pretty much self explanatory, and I'm sure I'll end up adding more buttons soon. We want the editor to be a really visual thing - primarily because we want to be able to create levels on touch screen devices. Of course, there are keyboard and mouse shortcuts to speed things up on the PC.

Just got the entity edit dialog down, needs tweaking a bit but it's there! Few more screenies:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic