Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:54:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesStreets Of Rage Remake
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Streets Of Rage Remake  (Read 16112 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 01:47:01 PM »

Update: Sega Europe reps responded with the following statement: "SEGA is committed to supporting any fans that take an interest in our games, and where possible we do so by involving them in Beta tests and other development, marketing or research opportunities. However we need to protect our intellectual property rights and this may result in us requesting that our fans remove online imagery, videos or games in some instances."

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »

Whatever, I'm still out.  Yakuza 4 is out now, and I was definitely buying it.  But now I'm sticking to my guns.  I'm not buying another SEGA product for a good long while.
I dunno dude, is abstaining from Platinum Games really worth it?
Toom
Level 3

You have to tell me if you're a cop.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2011, 04:18:20 PM »

Update: Sega Europe reps responded with the following statement: "SEGA is committed to supporting any fans that take an interest in our games, so long as they express that interest by giving us fat sacks of cash, rather than by showing us up for the workshy graspers we've become."

I'm gonna beat yer ass wit dis moon tree!
Kramlack
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2011, 04:55:24 PM »

Just had a chance to try this out (thanks Sinclair). It's so well done, a real gamers game. Looking forward to trying out the 2P with a friend.

Rats off to Bomber Games for making such a well done fangame.
shig
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2011, 05:17:41 PM »

I just bought the SOR1 and SOR2 characters unlock but I can't seem to be able to pick them... The only change I noticed is that some characters now have a different picture in the character select screen.

waht hapoen
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2011, 07:49:53 PM »

You can cycle through them using the button you set the police call to.
Ninja Disguise
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2011, 01:29:07 PM »

Thankfully, even though I wasn't a fan of the original games, I downloaded this before SEGA shut it down (figured something was going to happen to it). I've been through most of the possible levels and unlocked a fair few characters. Gotta say, I really like it and I'm disappointed that it got shut down, even though SEGA had every right to do so. I won't go as far as to call them a bunch of dicks because, on their end, it was a smart move. Why buy all the Streets of Rage games when a (much) better one is available for free? On the other hand, maybe they could have bought the game and distributed it themselves.
the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2011, 01:41:34 PM »

yawn
wake me when they finish Bare Knuckle Remake  Cool

Dannobot on Twitter
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2011, 10:47:31 AM »

I can totally see Sega's reason for doing this. Under trademark law they need to protect their trademark rights if they don't want to lose them. And they are perfectly entitled to shut down an unlicensed project, especially if they feel will affect sales of their official product.

There's been examples given of games companies sanctioning fan-projects, which I fully support, and it makes me wonder what would happen if a publisher tried to actively nurture an official fan-game community. Would that be possible? What would the implications be, and what kind of effect would it have on their business? I wonder if it's something any games companies have considered, or if it's something they've dismissed because it would be bad for business, or a legal nightmare.

I'm yet to play the remake, but I wonder, if the game is so good, why the developer didn't just make his own series from the engine he'd created. He could keep all the same mechanics, but redesign the graphics, the character designs and the music to something of his own. Maybe he'd have come up with something even better! If I was in his position while developing the game I'd definitely have considered it at some point.

Toom
Level 3

You have to tell me if you're a cop.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2011, 11:54:11 AM »

My understanding is that a big part of the motivation behind this project was to pay tribute to a beloved series. "Why didn't he just make his own game?" is sort of equivalent to asking "If Are You Experienced? can play so well, why don't they just write their own songs?"

I'm gonna beat yer ass wit dis moon tree!
shig
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, 08:16:33 PM »

try playing this game as max alone on the hardest difficulty

you literally have to beat the game usin only one move (command button + down, forward) and the two invincible specials. doing anything else will get you killed
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2011, 01:46:08 AM »

My understanding is that a big part of the motivation behind this project was to pay tribute to a beloved series. "Why didn't he just make his own game?" is sort of equivalent to asking "If Are You Experienced? can play so well, why don't they just write their own songs?"

I guess that makes sense Smiley

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2011, 12:14:48 PM »

I wish this game didn't take a solid hour to play beginning to end, because this game is fucking crack. I get this great feeling of accomplishment every time I take down Mr. X, but then, dammit, I have to go spend my earnings in the shop. And then I want to play another round to check out the features I just bought. And then, oops, it's 1am.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2011, 08:05:34 AM »

Only 5 days after the Streets of Rage Remake, Super Mario Bros. X met the same fate, only of course by Nintendo's hands. There is a bit about it on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._X#Removal

Quick, hide your fangames! These are dangerous time for them!

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Aloshi
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2011, 12:10:40 PM »

I wish this game didn't take a solid hour to play beginning to end,

I believe if you press Ctrl-X, it'll instantly close the game and save the game at the last room you entered.

Only 5 days after the Streets of Rage Remake, Super Mario Bros. X met the same fate, only of course by Nintendo's hands. There is a bit about it on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._X#Removal

Aw man, this is a really sad trend. Card Saga Wars better get finished.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2011, 01:05:11 PM »

Just a quick legal question: If this is really about "protecting copyrights", wouldn't every major game company have lost their most important several times over due to "failing to defend" them, considering the fair number of pretty well-known fangames that have been around for years without getting C&D'd?
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2011, 05:07:49 PM »

It's more like overshadowing current product quality by being awesome and complete. Mario X have been dub on internet best 2D mario ever. it's not like they do anything interesting with tehir license.

What I want to see is a third party society that pick up good fan game, do a really good make up and sell them back as a direct competitor to the license they had clone. It would be a serious kick in the ass for some license.

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2011, 05:51:16 PM »

It's a fun and interesting Mario fangame, but, the best 2D Mario ever?   WTF

It sucks that companies target fangames, though.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »

It's a fun and interesting Mario fangame, but, the best 2D Mario ever?   WTF

It sucks that companies target fangames, though.
I would definitely say it's up there.  I mean, for free, I'd even go as far as to say it packed in more content than NSMBWii. I think it was a really shitty move on Nintendo's part to do that to Redigit.  Glad I got it before it was taken down.  I mean, god, it doesn't really seem to me like it'd affect their sales THAT much.
shig
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2011, 08:33:35 PM »

oh god card sagas wars
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic