Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:21:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationKing of Public Transit [finished, bug fixed]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: King of Public Transit [finished, bug fixed]  (Read 22427 times)
Josh R
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2008, 01:51:29 AM »

This took a while to make, as I couldn't find a dropper tool or a "flip" tool.

Film/TV/Game Composer
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2008, 03:58:25 AM »

Also Hoboken is a reference to Mafia, if you didn't catch that.
I thought it was a district in new-york.

Might be that too. I have no idea. Never been to New York.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2008, 10:07:06 AM »

Generic Italian Restaurant to the rescue!

Friendly Rhinoceros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2008, 10:23:01 AM »

raoul, Chief Emu, Robson, Hideous, thanks a lot!  That makes the in-game store total 25, and I still have a few I want to make as well.  The city looks really great.

I feel like I'm in the home stretch now!  I just finished coding the deliver-message missions, so now I'm going to do the other two types.  Hopefully I'll get random encounters done today too (shouldn't be too hard).  After that, it's just balancing, adding in more proceduralness, and then entering it Monday 'round about midnight.

This has been the most fun I've ever had developing a game.  You guys are awesome.
Josh R
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2008, 12:31:49 PM »

Hey, I had a pretty fun time making those signs. Thanks for giving me the oportunity and crediting me for it!

Film/TV/Game Composer
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2008, 12:37:09 PM »

Thanks, it's been really fun making signs too. Grin

Also city names if you need them:
Ulrichport
Grenville
Shelbyville
Springfield

Friendly Rhinoceros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2008, 05:35:22 PM »

You can download King of Public Transit at supercheffing.com/publictransit.zip.

I feel pretty good about how far I got.  I wanted to add more signs, music, and another mission type and test it a LOT more, but I guess that's what I get for starting something so ambitious (for me) so late Roll Eyes

Thanks again for all your help, everyone.  Couldn't have done it without you.

I hope you enjoy!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2008, 04:34:07 PM »

Hehe, that was funny. Could REALLY use a few sounds and maybe a fun tune. I like all the signs and the odd random encounters and what messages they ask me to deliver. Tongue

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2008, 04:45:18 PM »

Lol, I got to get me one of those t-shirts with that printed on it!  Grin

"Fun is rule."
Friendly Rhinoceros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »

Could REALLY use a few sounds and maybe a fun tune.

Sound's at the top of my list after a bug fix I'm working on.  I wanted to get at least a footstep sound in before releasing, but the timing was messed up so it sounded more like drums, and I was exhausted by that point and didn't feel like messing with it anymore Tongue
As for music, know any composers?  When I try to add music, I usually make things sound worse, especially when I can just play to Last.fm.

I'm glad it made you laugh!  That made my day.  I'll try to put some sounds and stuff in tomorrow.
mechturk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2008, 09:04:56 PM »

I missed my stop and got lost.  Cry

Feels like public transport to me.  :D
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2008, 09:31:42 PM »

You know, if you want to add more signs and sounds and stuff, there's nothing to stop you from working on it after the contest Grin

Also, you've got my vote.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:38:57 PM by Hideous » Logged

Josh R
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2008, 07:17:53 AM »

I just downloaded it, I'll give my opinion in a mo'.

Film/TV/Game Composer
Friendly Rhinoceros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2008, 04:17:39 PM »

Today I tried to fix a pretty nasty bug that was brought to my attention.  You can download the fix at the same location (http://supercheffing.com/publictransit.zip).  Sometimes the game wouldn't realize that you had an errand at a location, even if you were standing right in front of it.  I messed around with it for an hour or two, but decided it would be better if you could just skip missions altogether.  Now you can skip missions from the mail screen for $1, because everyone knows email applications charge you if you don't do something Smiley

I also added two signs.  There are now 27.  My quest to hit 33 continues tomorrow!

I missed my stop and got lost.  Cry

Feels like public transport to me.  :D

I usually study bus/train/street maps for about an hour before I go anywhere Tongue
I really wanted to add maps, but SDL doesn't really have drawing support like I wanted.  Maybe next time.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  Sorry if you ran into the bug, and I hope this fix makes it a bit more enjoyable.
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2008, 05:20:26 AM »

Wasn't too fond of getting to a location and then it refusing to let you in the door. Smiley Interesting game, the signs are pretty fun to read as you are strolling by (didn't know the stage well enough to use transportation at first).

I do love the wrestling with a tiger bit... for $2.
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2008, 10:48:43 PM »

Confused, I stopped the bus in front of the funeral home, got a mission to deliver a message there.. but no action available in front? Are there multiple of a store front..?
And for some reason I like the aesthetic of this game. I know it's simple but.. it's nice?

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Friendly Rhinoceros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2008, 10:51:59 AM »

Confused, I stopped the bus in front of the funeral home, got a mission to deliver a message there.. but no action available in front? Are there multiple of a store front..?

That bug keeps coming back to haunt me Sad
It shouldn't happen (obviously), and the only way to get around it is to skip the mission, unfortunately.  Sometimes there are multiples of a storefront, yeah, in which case the location furthest east will be the correct one.  Again, shouldn't happen, but I got burnt out and couldn't make myself draw any more signs.

Sorry it's broken, everyone!  It's a result of me biting off more than I could chew in a week and not being very experienced at C++.  I had to spend a bit too much time saying, "Why doesn't this work?  It works like this in Java!" Undecided

I'd love to revisit this concept post-compo and have some time to polish it up because I still really like the idea.  I need to do something new first, though.  Don't feel like riding any more buses Tongue

And for some reason I like the aesthetic of this game. I know it's simple but.. it's nice?

That makes me very happy.  Thanks!  I love big, flat colors and simple shapes.  Glad to know someone appreciates it.

Interesting game, the signs are pretty fun to read as you are strolling by (didn't know the stage well enough to use transportation at first).

I do love the wrestling with a tiger bit... for $2.

I think the signs are my favorite part.  It was great to see a street with the same three buildings over and over turn into something that feels like a real street with just a few lines of code.  Made me think about procedural content a whole lot more.  The possibilities are quite endless!
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2008, 04:33:50 PM »

The basic idea was much funner than it should be! I too got annoyed when I went to a Goth Store right on time, waited for 5 minutes with no event, wandered on bewildered only to find another Goth Store two shops away.

Banal game mechanics turning out to be fun + street walkin' / shop interactin' reminds me of Shenmue!

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2008, 06:06:43 PM »

This makes me imagine a gigantic Tigsource PG game with dozens of people contributing  Cool

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2008, 08:23:53 AM »

Love the concept.  With some sound, a bit more variety in the shops and perhaps a map to give you some idea where things are located I think it could be very entertaining!
Cheers,
--Zack
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic