Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:01:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEXPERIMENT: Use Me, Abuse Me, Command Me! (Cut-Throat Publisher Forum Simulator)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: EXPERIMENT: Use Me, Abuse Me, Command Me! (Cut-Throat Publisher Forum Simulator)  (Read 1532 times)
Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:51:39 PM »

Edit: (Not quite sure where to put this as this is more a Project than a DevLog, but Projects are for TIG recognized official ones. It's not quite a Contest either, but I wonder if that would be a more suitable location. Hmm. :/)

INTRODUCTION

The Year is 1977, an alternate Earth where Hitler was a cat and Vietnam is a kind of coffee. With the announced release of the World's first readily available home computer entertainment system, the Britari 2600, several companies clamour and surge in an attempt to enter this new and growing market...

You (yes You!) represent members of the Board of Directors of an up and growing Commercial enterprise, and have few ideas in mind for the growth and development of the Corporation's video game branch.

INFORMATION - RULES

This is an attempt to get a bit of experience with some of the wacky situations game developers of old experienced whilst being under the foot and hammer of those ruthless charitable Publishers. Hard working conditions, ruthless time restrictions and difficult subject matters are to name a few of the situations such developers had to face during these periods. It's something that has fueled my morbid curiosity enough to try and start a sort of experiment involving the good folks here at TIG Source as Publishers and myself (and anyone else who would like to partake) as Developers rushing and running about to finish these tasks and deadlines. Starting from the early history of gaming spanning through as far as Resources and ability permits.

RULES

A "Publisher" posts a request on this topic, specifying a deadline and any restrictions on the game
(I.E Make a Game about Dentistry, an RPG which doesn't have text, etc) and a "Developer" can either
Turn down the request or accept it.

Publishers just have to post their request on this topic, and Developers just have to post responding to that confirming that they will accept it. If for any reason the Publisher does not want the Developer, or the Developer is unable to fulfil these requirements, they should post a response saying so, to avoid confusion and carnage and all sorts of things.

NOTE - Publishers, whilst being harsh or unique should also take into account realistic demands.
Demands like "Make an epic 3D action RPG in the span of 2 Days" will most likely be impossible unless
the Developer has acquired his very own Tardis, so try to keep the tasks as realistic as possible in
this aspect.

2ND NOTE - No Liscenced or Fan games, the demands have to be original. You CAN however state demands such
as "Make a Game inspired by ETC ETC/To Compete with X and Y", or make it a Liscenced game based on a
Ficticious Franchise "I.E Having acquired the Rights to Robo-Surgeon 2000, you want a game made for this
Franchise."

NOTE TO DEVELOPERS - Any platform of code is usable (if anyone else except me wants to try being a
Developer for this), but Game Maker should be all fine for things. Whilst this is supposed to simulate
the Industry from the early ages onwards, you won't be forced to crack out the Commodore's and
waiting for Tapes to load up each time you want to beta test a project.

IF POSSIBLE - Developers who wish to partake may want to specify what they can and can't do
(I.E "I can make Action and Platformer games for generations from the Atari 2600 period to the
SNES) to avoid any requests that aren't doable.

Penalty for Dropping out is Death, there is none, however on the score mark/tally, it will go down as
a "Failed" project.

I look forward to hearing requests, responses, and whatnot for this. Lets get it on >=D

DEVELOPERS

Neonlare - Anything Retro within the span of 1 day to 4 months. Atari 2600 through to Super Ninteno/Sega Genesis. (The later the generation, the more time required for development) - Current Project : Major Tom

PUBLISHERS

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:04:24 AM by Neonlare » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:13:35 PM »

This is an amazing idea. Sounds like a great way to practice game-making! I think this is best for shorter, 'blitz', games though. Spans of a day to a week, you know?
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 07:32:52 PM »

Oh man, I like the concept of this, but don't have quite enough time to dedicate to developing until the 24th or so.

I also disagree with Inanimate, though he might be right in practice I think the time frame sets it apart from jams in a way that I like a lot Mock Anger

I guess, as a publisher:
Make a turn-based RPG starring an astronaut. Has to have a 20th century style space suit. 29.5 days. Bonus points for no traditional aliens.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 02:03:53 AM »

Oh man, I like the concept of this, but don't have quite enough time to dedicate to developing until the 24th or so.

I also disagree with Inanimate, though he might be right in practice I think the time frame sets it apart from jams in a way that I like a lot Mock Anger

I guess, as a publisher:
Make a turn-based RPG starring an astronaut. Has to have a 20th century style space suit. 29.5 days. Bonus points for no traditional aliens.

Task accepted. I'll be making it for the Amigo 64 (Commodore 64). Chance of Success - Likely :3.

Name of Project - Major Tom
Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »

Major Tom has been making some progress. I'll have some screenshots to post sometime in the near future. It isn't going to be a massively long adventure, but I hope it'll be long enough to be entertaining~
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic