Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:35:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOut There Somewhere
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Out There Somewhere  (Read 35099 times)
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2012, 07:25:07 PM »

Congratulations, nice to see a release date to make it all official  Smiley

saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2012, 12:10:54 PM »

@RayJack Well, no, it won't be availible on Mac, not on the release date. But I have plans on porting it as soon as possible. But since we made it on Game Maker 8 it wont't be easy...

Thanks guys Smiley

I made some new art for the shareware version that will be realeased with the game, here:

Let's see if someone can recognize which game I based on doing this Grin

saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2012, 02:27:03 AM »

The game is officially done! Hand Shake LeftCrazyHand Shake Right
Now we're going to translate it to Portuguese (my language) and we need to do all that boring marketing/business/distribution stuff and hope for the best.

The pre-order will start tomorrow! I'll try to share all the info and statistics I can on the game sales and on how I am marketing and dealing with this business stuff.

So... We have a blog, it has around 200 daily visits, and my plan is to do the pre-order there, using Fastspring (TeeGee told me about BMT, but I already made all the arrangements on Fastspring, so let's try it out). The idea is the get everyone's email and when the pre-order is over I'll send download links to everyone.

But I still don't how I'll create this links, I can host the files on a friend's server, but is it too amateur to send everyone the same link? The game is DRM free, so anyone could just use the same link. I'll try to find out how to do some kind of link that changes every time it is downloaded or something like that.

In the marketing side we prepared a cool press release and we are sending it to pretty much everywhere, to famous blogs like indiegames.com, smaller ones and to press release sites, like www.gamespress.com/. I'm not sure if our luck is low or if we have some problem with the game and/or the trailer, but we didn't got any good answers or preview.
Anyway, let's keep trying!

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2012, 02:41:38 AM »

It's done and you're releasing pre-orders tomorrow?  WTF

Files problems could be solved by using BMT, same with links Wink

saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2012, 02:48:53 AM »

Yes! It will be a 7-day pre-order (those who pre-order will receive some bonus stuff, like the soundtrack and a retro-looking pdf manual). I'm not releasing the game yet because I want to:

1. Translate it to Portuguese (people here in Brazil would crucify me if I release a game with no Portuguese version)
2. I think that I really really could use another week of bug hunting and general testing, I don't want to sell a game with bugs on it.
3. I still have a lot of marketing/PR to do!

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2012, 09:53:26 AM »

This looks great.

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »

Parece muito bem feito. Parabéns por terem acabado de fazer o jogo e desejo que tenham um excelente lançamento.  Beer!

Kevin
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2012, 01:19:11 PM »

This looks awesome! Congratulations on finishing. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2012, 07:27:27 PM »

Thanks everyone! Smiley
The game pre order is ON!!  Hand Shake LeftEpilepticHand Shake Right

The pre order version has the same price of the game (4.99 USD), but it's called Voskhod Edition, and includes:
 - The digital copy of the game (.exe, Windows only)
 - The original soundtrack of the game in MP3 format
 - The digital version of the Hint Manual, that includes concept art and… hints! (PDF)

I plan to sell this version for 6.99 dollars after this pre order.
When I get some consistent numbers about the sales I'll post them here.

Now, I'll try to share the link everywhere I can (WITHOUT spamming, of course).

And if you guys want to pre order it, here's the link! PRE ORDER

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2012, 07:35:58 PM »

I've somehow managed to miss this devlog until now, and now that I've finished looking through it, I'm going to go ahead and pre-order it right now.
James Rossi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2012, 08:07:17 PM »

Isn't that style just the freeware close game splash screen of just about every Apogee game made in the 90s? Also it looks fantastic, I'm pre-ordering now.

I Help These Guys:
Dino D-Day
Lazy Brain Games
saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2012, 04:21:34 AM »

Thanks a lot for the support! Grin

@James Rossi Hahaha ALMOST, It's the shareware screen of Doom!

First statistics report:
The pre order started 10 hours ago, and well, only 12 units sold, mostly to friends. It's not going very well, but no international site has made any preview or shared our game yet.
Now we will start sending the press releases to all the websites and see how that impacts.

Yodhe
Level 0

Flying Lasanga

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2012, 04:58:12 AM »

Making games doesn't sell games in my experience, its that other bit that most of the money is actually spent on in making games, i.e. marketing. Hopefully though you will get comparatively "lucky" and get some good exposure, and make some sales. And just remember don't get caught "shilling", and don't fall into the trap of giving away your hard work for free in desperation.
But of course I hope that all of the above is pure bullshit, and you "do a Notch"..
Good luck with your endeavours, as it looks like a "sweet" game.

Bunker Mentality - Post Apocalyptic Squad Turn Based Strategy RPG - http://www.justanotherturn.com
Tiago_BinaryPig
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2012, 08:18:07 AM »

Pre-Order - Done!

Can't wait to play this game. Congrats once again.

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2012, 01:20:42 PM »

Will there be a demo available once released?

saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »

@KopanoGS: Thanks a lot for the support! Smiley
@Cynicalsandel: Yes! I'll do a demo as soon I finish the Portuguese translation! But it will be released only after the pre-order.
@Yodhe: Well, I hope we can get some exposure, we are trying really hard to send press releases to everyone in the press that we can. And thanks for the advice!

What Happened on Day One & Statistics
We sold today 65 pre-orders (most of them are here from Brazil and friends of ours), for 4.99 each. Fastspring bites off 0.75 of each unit, meaning that we have to pay 48,75 to them. So, the gross profit today is $275,60 USD. It's not a lot of money, but honestly is more than I expected! I have confidence that the game is actually very good, but it's a pre-order, so people probably like our trailer!

A thing that helped a lot is that we got featured at Kotaku here in Brazil (link-portuguese only) and since the Brazilian indie industry is very small our game is having some attention.
Only few international sites and blogs are also talking about us, but our focus now is to increse that number, we are still trying to send our PR to some journalists or to other bigger indie game developers (to get some tips and feedback too!). Some journalists are helping a lot, but most of the big indie devs just ignored us  Undecided (they are probably very busy, I don't blame them, but that sucks anyway)

This is today's report Smiley Hope it can be of some help

wademcgillis
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2012, 11:07:58 AM »

I'm getting a very Jetpack feel from that.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »

Pre-ordered already

Good luck! Beer!

saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2012, 04:24:02 PM »

@Wade McGillis I confess that I played some  Jetpack while doing this game, but the sharewhere image was based on this one:

@Tuba: Thanks man Smiley

@Gabriel Verdon: I'm doing this because I aways searched for some statistics of someone that it's REALLY starting out, and that's very hard to find. I hope I can help some people with that.

I'll do the statistics and report as soon the shop day ends.

saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2012, 04:50:40 PM »

What Happened on Day Two & Statistics
Today I focused on fixing some bugs on the game based on some reports, and here's a tip: If you are using light effects or anything on game maker, make sure you make that optional, a lot of graphics cards can't render that. So, now we got a compatibility mode, that is not that beautiful, but can run on older/stranger PCs.

We sent more press releases today, but only a few responses, a lot of people are asking us to resend the PR once the game is actually selling. Another good thing is that we are getting more feedback (almost always positive, which is making me very happy Hand Shake LeftGrin:handshakeR:) from a lot of people, including some indie developers that I really like Smiley

So, the actual statistics!
Today we sold 43 copies (214.57 - 32.25 = $182.32). Now I'm seeing a lot of names that I don't recognize, which is actually a very good thing, but still 76% of the sales by Brazilian people.
We sold 103 copies total, and honestly I'm very happy about that, still, that's far from paying all the game costs, but for our first game pre-order I'm very optimistic!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic