Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411483 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:37:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMasjin [Updates!]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Masjin [Updates!]  (Read 95845 times)
Qqwy
Level 1

To who might ever read this: I love you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2011, 12:38:42 PM »

I've got an idea for a new Research option:
-Team-friendly Mines.

Could be interesting.

Ř̺͈̮ͬͣ͑͂͊̐a̲͈̲̩̫͍̟̕i̪̪̩̼̩̊̽ͫn̴b̗̠͈̯̲͡ͅo̥̤͓̥̩̾͐ẅ̺́͢ ̴̙̑̍̅o̰̹͙̻̭̘̅͌͐̾ͅf̖̖͖͍̽̅̉͡ ͓̱͓͔̖̣̗ͭC̽҉̗̼̳̖͇̳h̺͕͠a̵̾ͤ͆́́o̼̙͖͎͍̳̅̿ͣs͓̒̌̀  FOCUS-Bytebeat
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2011, 12:54:48 PM »

Woe, such a surge of suggestions!

As I said, I'll be preoccupied with studying a bit in the coming days so updates will be scarce and big stuff like new gamemodes wont be added. I'll be trying to fix any bugs that occur, but some of these are rather shady.

It seems that the server is indeed down! The alternative server doesn't work either. Uh oh, this is pretty bad!

Hrrm, there isn't probably much else to do but to wait and hope. However, here's the server app. It's unfinished but *should* work:
www.hempuli.com/Server.exe

It hosts a server on your IP. For joining players, go to the 'server.txt' and set the 'address' to the IP.

I like the idea of cybermasons earning money through damage, but simply making them accumulate money from all damage would overflow the packet flow so I'd rather make them get money by killing people. Implementing that.

GladOS & Qqwy: It seems your mails fell into the spam folder; looking at them now.
EDIT: Qqwy, nice manual! I'll fix the grammatical things but otherwise I think it's great. Thanks for the compliments in the QA section, haha
As for GladOS, I'll send you a PM.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:03:30 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

GLaDOS
Level 0

I am still alive!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2011, 02:49:34 PM »

oh i forgot to mention that you dont have to unlock the manned turrets to use the other teams.
this should be fixed
piper65
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2011, 06:30:31 PM »

Quote from: Hempuli
There certainly needs to be another way to get ore, but for my life I can't think of any good alternative sources that were infinite but wouldn't make the cybermason useless!

Maybe you could make Ore grow over time, if that's possible.
That would get rid of ore depleting and would keep the cybermason's relevance.
you could implement this in one of two ways:

1)Ore grows on preexisting dirt blocks (There is no problem rising form that, but it's not very interesting either)

2)New Ore blocks grow on empty squares. That way not only more ore is available to keep the game going, but also the whole game evolves during time making the digging more interesting and strategic.
The problem with this is ore growing on tunnels and just making it frustrating instead of interesting, but maybe you could make it so that ore starts growing when a certain percentage of ore has been dug and make it more probable to grow onn larger dug out areas like trenches than on 1 block wide tunnels.

ps: keep up the good work, I waiting to see what other game modes you introduce
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »

Do bombs do damage to turrets? Does object interaction ever encounter problems like that?

Qqwy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2011, 01:00:47 AM »

After playing Capture The Flag for a while:

-Bombs do not seem to damage turrets, making them very hard to destroy.
-Turrets even shoot at people using Spy ID's. I think this should be changed  Tongue.
-Turrets don't shoot at invisible units. Nice :D.

A question: do you really want to show the CTF point while in Control Room mode? And to show the Control Room while in CTF mode?

-Ninjas while using a shooting vehicle still count as Invisible, and can destroy Turrets easily this way.

-I like it how Ninjas in Mecha Suits can jump higher, but are unable to shoot :D.

Oh, and about the not-being-able-to-change-class bug: this appears to happen in Control Room mode only.

And now I have a big feature request... the implementation of a High-Score system, wich would list:
-The number of Wins/Losses
-The number of Kills/Deaths.
And maybe:
-The people that have been in the same team as Person X the most.
-The person that killed Person X the most.
-The person that Person X killed the most.
-Person X's favorite item/class/vehicle.

Anyhow, I have another idea with the highscores. You might implement some kind of Tier-System. I.e., the option to start games that are only for players with a certain winning-amount. Why would you do this?
a. This prevents new people from getting confused or irritated by the I-can-never-win-or-kill-anybody feeling.
b. This prevents new people to completely screw over the strategies of the more experienced players on the same team.
c. This prevents Trolling(people who make their team lose on purpose will never get high rankings)

So, you could implement some option to 'start a game for everyone' and an option to 'start a game for players like me'.

Think about it  Wink.

Another, much smaller feature-request:
Is it possible to at the Server List what kind of gamemode the game is using? (a small flag or a control room next to the name or someting.)

Ř̺͈̮ͬͣ͑͂͊̐a̲͈̲̩̫͍̟̕i̪̪̩̼̩̊̽ͫn̴b̗̠͈̯̲͡ͅo̥̤͓̥̩̾͐ẅ̺́͢ ̴̙̑̍̅o̰̹͙̻̭̘̅͌͐̾ͅf̖̖͖͍̽̅̉͡ ͓̱͓͔̖̣̗ͭC̽҉̗̼̳̖͇̳h̺͕͠a̵̾ͤ͆́́o̼̙͖͎͍̳̅̿ͣs͓̒̌̀  FOCUS-Bytebeat
Filth
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2011, 01:43:28 AM »

I don't agree with letting only certain winning-amount players, but a player ranking system sounds alright;
having some indicators like "This game has highly ranked players" and such.
There could be a kicking/whitelist system.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2011, 01:50:02 AM »

Phew, the server downtime was temporary.

piper65: For the next update I'll test mokesmoe's suggestiong; the cybermasons earn money by killing an enemy unit. Kinda illogical but derp.

The bombs do damage turrets, but keep in mind that the damage is only 70-ish and the turrets have 200 hp! So bombs should be used as additional firepower rather than the only method. The 'unkillable turrets' -bug is something very similar to the earlier unkillable player bug, but this time I can't make damage serverside so I should find some way to absolutely ensure that they work. My hunch is that as the game goes on, the channel master sees how the turret is destroyed but somehow fails to tell about it to the others, thus making the turret unkillable. Another cause would be desyncing IDs, as I think I said earlier. :/

Filth: Because the server I use is public, currently I can't do any permanent bans or blacklists. I can merely kick players temporarily. Hopefully I can fix that once Lacewing is updated a bit.

Qqwy:
-Good catch on the spy ID, fixing that
-For the next update, the CTF points will be removed. I don't see much problem with the Control point but I guess it could be removed for CTF as well.
-That ninja bug is a bit annoying because I think I've done my best to make ninjas visible when using vehicles. Oh well, trying to fix that.
-The not-being-able-to-change-class bug is fixed.

The 'highscore list' could be implemented as some sort of a personal ranking. I personally dislike stuff like that but I guess it would be doable. Also something similar will be the 'summary screen' with similar data related to a single game.

I think a mostly-bugfix update will be out today, though I'll see if I can add some new item.

Qqwy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2011, 05:04:26 AM »

I just made a few screens in-game that I want to share with you guys :D.

Sometimes, Nature is very nice to your team:

This makes it very easy for the Blue team to make a Fissure between Red and the Control Room.

This makes it very hard for Blue to enter the Red base in CTF mode.

In the same game as where the last screen is from, we (red) managed to build a gigantic bridge from one side to the other. Blue was totally under our control...

Until this happened. Somehow I managed as a Ninja to kill a blue person that had the red flag, while he was in the Blue Spawnroom. The red flag is stuck in there...

Also, we were somehow unable to pick up the Blue flag at some point. It was very strange. Nobody won, altough Blue was far behind Red in points.

--
At least I'm finally able to play CTF competitively for a bit now. Ninja-stealing for the win  Grin.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2011, 06:14:38 AM »

Awww, that's sad to hear!

Since I can't for my life figure out the bug related to the CTF, I'll add a special button for the host that forces an update on the scores, flag locations and ownerships! This is hopefully a temporary solution, but should make it possible to keep a game going even if there was a bug. The flags are located always based on the host, so this kind of a "panic button" should have virtually 0% chance of failing.

Except an update tonight!

mdogx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2011, 06:44:11 AM »

Hi, Hempuli!

Translated from Russian online translator for Google)

After a review of your beautiful game in gamin.ru appeared много Russian players. Would not want to move Masjin into other languages? I will be glad to help.

Also not bad to do a little wiki or manual with descriptions of features characters and equipment.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2011, 07:19:02 AM »

Yes, I have thought of that myself as well. The only problem is displaying the cyrillic letters, and showing shortened words (e.g. Gravity bomb -> Grav. B.) and such.

So yes, it'd be great if you or someone could make a translation!

Urist McDorf
Level 0

CR 12 Ruskie Werebear

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2011, 08:40:18 AM »

I could try that, I guess. I have a firm grasp both on russian (it being my native language) and english. Though I'm pretty lazy and so it'd be slow (especially as I'm mostly unwilling to rip the text stuff out of the game myself), but most likely good in the end. I don't think there's that much text in it, so if you provide the files with the text, I'd be able to finish it by... sunday, I guess? This date could be delayed, because I have a certain other project to take care of, but eh, I'll try not to miss it.
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »

I've got an idea for a new Research option:
-Team-friendly Mines.

Could be interesting.

It'd be a great way to counter the Spy ID perhaps.

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
Filth
« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2011, 10:35:23 AM »

Greater than simply just shooting?  Undecided

What about a research which shows your team's mines ?
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2011, 01:49:58 PM »

1.73!

Changelog:
  • Lots of bugfixes!
  • New item, the levitating mine
  • You can now select the shape of the level
  • Pressing F1 in-game makes everyone update the flag positions
  • Cybermasons now get money from kills.

One feature I forgot was the game mode in the game name, duh. Adding that later, I'm way too tired now. Yawn

VERSION 1.73 GET!

mdogx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2011, 09:44:28 PM »

(translated from Russian)
As well as Urist mtsdorf can try to translate into Russian. Best of all - in the form of text. Language resources get connected externally? Such as dat.txt or server.txt

And the gaming issue - kibermasons can create their own blocks?) observed it in the game, but could not repeat)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2011, 02:45:42 AM »

mdogx, there is a specific vehicle (the builder) for that.
If you saw a cybermason building walls on his own, there was a bug. My apologies.

Here's all the text of the game:
http://www.hempuli.com/Russian.txt

Basically I'd need every line to be written in russian. I'm not sure how well I can display cyrillic letters, but I'll try!

Qqwy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2011, 03:09:57 AM »

Hempuli, If you want to, I can create a German and Dutch version of the game   Smiley.

The new additions are awesome. The different terrain choosing works great, and the maps are very strange sometimes, creating very different experiences. Also, the Builder is not underpowered anymore, especially in the pre-gap levels.

I think I found one bug however:
-When a Ninja gets into an Opponents base to steal the flag, and there are turrets all around it, and he gets revealed by a Radar, then the turrets do not start shooting.

Also, thanks very much for the Spy ID update xD. What is even more awesome is that your own turrets start shooting you if you have a Spy ID, but you don't get any damage. Seems very convincing to me. Awesome! :D

The new Levitating Mine is interesting, however it might be too visible( It screams I'm an explosive flower all over the place Tongue) but we will see how much it will get used.

The game as it is now seems pretty well balanced  Smiley.

I have another small feature request ( Embarrassed ... I think the game would get a little less chaotic if you would add the next messages in the game:
-In the lobby, the 'Player XXX joined the game' is only shown once out of five or something.. might be a bug?
-Have a 'Player X Quit Masjin' message in the lobby.

-In the game, when the team the flag is from steals the 'flag-stealer' and reclaims their flag, could there be some  message like: 'Blue regained their flag' ?

Maybe an 'Red Captured the Control Room' message when they are alone in the control room? This message isn't as much needed as the ones above, however.

-I'm still voting for Player-Colors in the chat  Embarrassed

And another few ideas:
-Filth's research option to show (with a big floating arrow or something Tongue) your team's mines sounds fine to me.
-A research option that changes your normal bombs into 'Fragment Bombs', bombs that explode once, then shatter in four pieces, and explode again with an even bigger explosion.

__

There are some pretty interesting strategies going on now, in the game. I am getting better at CTF now too, albeit slowly and I'm still not as good as Turn is in it  Grin. But he really is an amazing player. Anyhow, only once played CTF against him, so I am not sure. But whatever... My point is, there are some pretty interesting strategies going on, with the different maptypes, gametypes, different amount of starting money, capture time, players, preferences of the players, etc.

Hempuli: If you want to I can try to create some kind of background-music for the game. But only if you want it ofc  Wink.

Have a nice day everybody.

~Qqwy/accident  Smiley

nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2011, 03:31:59 AM »

2 Days ago i hosted a game, i didn't quit the game but it still stopped and flung everybody out.

@ Qqwy: I would like a Dutch version of the game.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic