Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:43:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMasjin [Updates!]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Masjin [Updates!]  (Read 95869 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2011, 04:22:01 AM »

As I said earlier, the research code was done in an awful way so adding any research subjects was a pain. I'm now reworking it, so expect at least these to appear as research subjects:

-Digging speed (cybermasons only? I'm not sure)
-More levels to the ninja cloak (thanks mokesmoe)
-Ore yield (one block of ore gives more, this'll be pretty expensive though)
-(Scientist healing) (I'm not totally sure about this)
-More potent poison (I think of adding some different ways to poison people other than the poison grenade)
-Others that are currently slipping my mind

Also I think I'll separate a bomb fabricator from the 'general fabricator' because there'll be way more bomb-type items than any other types. Now let's see the suggestions:
 mokesmoe: I agree with you mostly. I think the radar should show even ninjas, but it's currently not in anyway because it was so buggy. The dirt bomb idea is great, but I'm not sure about the laser. You mean like those lasers that instantly stretch until they hit a wall? Your comment about 'vehicles not being worth it' concerns me; is this related to the gamemode or do you think they're generally totally useless? I'd like to make them less so if that's the case, do tell how they could be improved!
 I also think the cybermasons aren't very useful at the moment. Since all the other classes have some abilities that aid them in battle, should the cybermason get something similar?

Filth
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2011, 04:47:06 AM »

Make diggers much more slower to use for non-masons. You could also remove the diggers in the base.
The choppers are fine, people don't just really know about them. The planes, however, are pointless. They are pretty much only for getting to the middle quicker than running.

Oh and guys:
-Stop shooting blindly with the turret
-Stop jumping around with the mech without a good purpose
-Don't take a vehicle or an item with you every time you respawn
 Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:15:28 AM by Filth » Logged
Qqwy
Level 1

To who might ever read this: I love you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2011, 06:38:18 AM »

Make diggers much more slower to use for non-masons. You could also remove the diggers in the base.
The choppers are fine, people don't just really know about them. The planes, however, are pointless. They are pretty much only for getting to the middle quicker than running.

Oh and guys:
-Stop shooting blindly with the turret
-Stop jumping around with the mech without a good purpose
-Don't take a vehicle or an item with you every time you respawn
 Lips Sealed

And also, a Chopper is NOT worth your $ 370 when you could invest in the Ninja Cloak instead. I really think the Chopper is too expensive for its purpose(transporting another unit) right now.

The stratety you have to play if you want to win is this:
Step 1: Buy a second Digger from your 300 starting
Step 2: Get two people digging
Step 3: Steal the digger(s) of the other team before they steal your digger(s)
Step 4: As soon as you have enough money, buy the Ninja Cloak and the Health + Upgrades
Step 5: NOW buy weaponry and vehicles.

Many (new) players start with step five, wich is of course the most fun but a bomb is a one-time investment while the Ninja Cloaks and the Health + will work for the rest of the game.

For other ways of poison: It might be interesting to have a upgrade to the Poison Bomb wich makes it work as a Pass-The-Stick. When Person A gets hit by the bomb, he gets poisoned. Then he walks past person B, who gets poisoned as well just by A walking past him. Person B passes Person C a little later, who then gets poisoned. Etc.

btw Hempuli: If you want a few other Bomb ideas*:
-A bomb that has a small explosion, but falls apart in four smaller bombs wich fly away a little by the first explosion, and then detonate two seconds later.
-A Homing Missile Launcher, wich works similar to a Rocket Launcher(maybe less strong) and will home to the closest person. If nobody is close enough, it will come back and hit YOU.
*ideas are brainstormy, and possibly bad ideas. Dont hit me. Huh?

Also, an upgrade to equip Diggers with Guns could be interesting, to make it easier to defend your Digger.

Ř̺͈̮ͬͣ͑͂͊̐a̲͈̲̩̫͍̟̕i̪̪̩̼̩̊̽ͫn̴b̗̠͈̯̲͡ͅo̥̤͓̥̩̾͐ẅ̺́͢ ̴̙̑̍̅o̰̹͙̻̭̘̅͌͐̾ͅf̖̖͖͍̽̅̉͡ ͓̱͓͔̖̣̗ͭC̽҉̗̼̳̖͇̳h̺͕͠a̵̾ͤ͆́́o̼̙͖͎͍̳̅̿ͣs͓̒̌̀  FOCUS-Bytebeat
piper65
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2011, 07:56:10 AM »

about the vehicles: I can see the plane being a protagonist in a ctf game. I imagine pretty nice plane fights and much more 'useful' use of the stationary tower.

And the  Ninja could start being a more specialized backstabber. Having an expensive upgrade that makes him even weaker but with a fast-killing backstab. So if you want to kill him you just put enough spacebetween you and him, but he can hide and surprise you if well used.
Filth
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2011, 08:34:03 AM »

And also, a Chopper is NOT worth your $ 370 when you could invest in the Ninja Cloak instead. I really think the Chopper is too expensive for its purpose(transporting another unit) right now.

Isn't the chopper mainly used for getting everyone in and obliterating everything at the moment? No one uses it for transporting others.
(This is one of the reasons why I suggested splitting it to a battle chopper and a transport chopper)

For other ways of poison: It might be interesting to have a upgrade to the Poison Bomb wich makes it work as a Pass-The-Stick.

This would probably work as a new bomb? Infection bomb or something.

Also, an upgrade to equip Diggers with Guns could be interesting, to make it easier to defend your Digger.

What's the point? You can really easily leave the digger when you have to.
Qqwy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2011, 09:03:41 AM »

Isn't the chopper mainly used for getting everyone in and obliterating everything at the moment? No one uses it for transporting others.
(This is one of the reasons why I suggested splitting it to a battle chopper and a transport chopper)
Yeah. Nobody uses the Chopper for that. It is a highly-expensive thing that maybe flies a little easier than an Airplane, but is just not worth 370 to try to kill everybody with it. You should wait and buy a Mecha Suit or a Orb instead.

It's tiring to play the game with new people who just randomly waste all your money. But I guess that's part of the game  Cheesy.
For other ways of poison: It might be interesting to have a upgrade to the Poison Bomb wich makes it work as a Pass-The-Stick.

This would probably work as a new bomb? Infection bomb or something.
Yes, or an Upgrade the Scientists could make to have the Poison Bomb this additional effect.

What's the point? You can really easily leave the digger when you have to.

True.

Oh, and Hempuli: I tought of another idea of making the Cybermason more balanced: Make him immune to Mines.(when he walks or drives past them, they dont trigger)

Ř̺͈̮ͬͣ͑͂͊̐a̲͈̲̩̫͍̟̕i̪̪̩̼̩̊̽ͫn̴b̗̠͈̯̲͡ͅo̥̤͓̥̩̾͐ẅ̺́͢ ̴̙̑̍̅o̰̹͙̻̭̘̅͌͐̾ͅf̖̖͖͍̽̅̉͡ ͓̱͓͔̖̣̗ͭC̽҉̗̼̳̖͇̳h̺͕͠a̵̾ͤ͆́́o̼̙͖͎͍̳̅̿ͣs͓̒̌̀  FOCUS-Bytebeat
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2011, 09:21:32 AM »

Nice brainstorming here!  Hand Clap Smiley
I'm in a hurry (and not sure if I'll get an update out today), but from what I've read here I like most of the suggestions and such. The infection bomb idea is great! Grin
 I guess I'll lower the price of most vehicles, but also I hope that the other gamemodes will bring use for the plane and the chopper.
 The next update will have more variety to the ninja cloak upgrade, since I got the researching working better now.
 It kind of concerns me to see how the diggers are the 'main' point of the game, it seems that getting ahold of the diggers equals winning in larger games. This is something I'd like to take care of, hopefully making the cybermasons better will help.

Qqwy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2011, 09:37:51 AM »

Oh, and here is your daily Bug Report  Grin;

-Sometimes, Gemstones appear above the ground. This mostly happens on levels where the Control Room is placed high as well.
-When getting killed while having a Machine Menu(buy items, buy vehicles) open, you cannot move and you have to press R to respawn.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »

1.7 is now finished! Kinda cool, and seeing that I started counting at 1.46 or so the game has progressed quite a few versions! Anyway:

• Lowered prices again.
  • Added two new research subjects, digging speed and healing. Also added one new level to ninja research.
  • Made the poison more potent.
  • New item, the dirt bomb!
  • I redesigned the control point to make it less tight.
  • Radar is now back, hopefully it works this time around.
  • Bugfixes, mostly small but I hopefully fixed one bigger one, related to joining to games.

VERSION 1.7 GET!

Dhegg took a screenshot of this nice round:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 01:27:32 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2011, 02:38:17 PM »

Make the cybermasons dig non-ore blocks as fast as a digger. That will make their ability more effective in combat situations.

I never thought of buying a second digger right off the bat, but that sound like a good idea.
I don't think the game relying on diggers is a bad thing. In starcraft ,for example, you need to have SCVs at all times, and if your opponent messes with them, you are set back a bit. But also just like starcraft, if you have nothing to attack with, the opponent will win.

I'm gonna stop myself here because I'm getting into the habit of posting before playing the newest version because I'm already at the thread.

EDIT: Ninjas should be able to swing their swords in vehicles. (not digger of course)
Bases should have a built-in radar so people can't spawncamp while invisible. Maybe walking into someone invisible should reveal them?
Also, you need to stop dirt bombs from changing the background. You can't tell where the point is after a few have been thrown there.

Another idea that would be useful but probably a huge pain to program would be host migration. When the host leaves, it makes someone else the host.
A way to see ping would be cool too.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:06:52 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2011, 03:05:13 PM »

updated quickly to 1.7b just because the ninja was a bit op again, and there were silly bugs about.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2011, 03:22:30 PM »

Change the current napalm to 'frag grenade' and change the graphics, then make a new napalm that actually functions like napalm. The new napalm would make a few fire sprites that fall around it, which damage people, and last about 5 seconds. This would be useful for defending, or killing people on the point when there's no exits. (Although the current napalm already does the latter)
Qqwy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »

The new updates are amazing. I really like the cloak-and-dagger Ninja. The same goes for the Dirt Bomb. However, the latter seems to be overpowered. I'd suggest making the dirt-radius one tile less, because when you are creating a gap trap one or two dirt bombs can completely ruin everything. Builders are unnessecary and slow now because of the Dirt Bomb.

piper65
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2011, 10:58:53 AM »

Maybe the napalm would be more interesting if the fire stuck to vehicles like it caught on fire. making it a more specific weapon.
Qqwy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2011, 12:36:28 PM »

Hempuli, are you maybe at some point releasing a Flash or Java Application of this too? I'm sure there will be people on Mac's and Linuxes that would love to play this.

Oh, and I think the balance of the different characters/costs/speeds is kindof okay right now  Smiley. Good job Tears of Joy!

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2011, 01:08:17 PM »

Thanks for the compliments!

Unfortunately, I've used a lot of code that is unportable at the moment. Also the flash/java ports from MMF are prone to slow down very quickly, thus making porting a game like this very flimsy to port. This means that I can't really port it (unless someone is ready to code it from scratch on flash, which I for sure can't do!). There is a Lacewing library for flash, apparently, so technically porting through recoding wouldn't be *that* much of a problem, but then again the game is pretty complex.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2011, 02:34:08 PM »

I decided to update to 1.71 after all. Really small stuff this time:

• New logo
  • Made the winning/losing screens better. Still needs a lot of work though!
  • Balanced some prices
  • Fixed bugs
  • Players now get a radar in the beginning of the round, and dirt bombs don't work at the control point.

VERSION 1.71 GET!

OK I managed to break the ninja cloak, wait a second!!
Should be fixed now. Please redownload if you already did!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:56:40 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

Qqwy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2011, 05:59:54 AM »

By the Way, I can now officially declare that I have the Tetris Effect with Masjin Screamy.

Smiley

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2011, 10:15:06 AM »

If you stand right next to the turret, it can't hurt you. Don't know if that's a bug or intentional.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2011, 12:52:17 PM »

Big news!

1.72 is out, and with it comes:

• Capture the flag!
  • A menu where you can set some parameters for the game before hosting.
  • The game list now shows the number of players.
  • The builder is now slightly faster.

I guess that's all, but I'd consider a new gamemode a *big* thing! Smiley

VERSION 1.72 GET!

EDIT: This'll probably be very buggy! I already fixed one so redownload please!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:40:07 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic