Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 07:11:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBlockWorld
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BlockWorld  (Read 3988 times)
hughperkins
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2011, 03:50:08 PM »

BlockWorld is set in a game set in a world made of cubes.  Probably sounds somewhat familiar...

I started writing it in December after playing Minecraft for a couple of days.  I thought Minecraft was *AWESOME*.  I have yet to see any design and development decision in minecraft which I feel is even remotely questionable.  I am in awe of many of the development and design decisions in Minecraft.

After a couple of days playing Minecraft, I'd built a portal to the Nether.  Then I built a new world, and made another portal.

Then I set about trying to build something similar, only somehow better.  Worst case, it gives me something to do whilst Notch adds new features to Minecraft!

I have to say, there is a lot more work involved in doing this than I initially anticipated.

To run, you can download http://hughperkins.com/blockworld/blockworldbootstrap.jar , then run like this:

java -jar blockworldbootstrap.jar

Or, you can use the following link to run it automatically:  http://hughperkins.com/blockworldws/blockworld.jnlp

Requirements:
- java 1.6
- opengl 2.0 or higher
- Windows, linux

Feedback I'm looking for?  I guess, moral support would be good :-P  Also, where you think this could go.  Generally speaking, with the exception of the whole voxel part, on the whole I'm trying to make decisions that are different from Minecraft, though that's really a challenge, since Minecraft is so perfect!

Colored light:

Crafting book:

Free draw map:

Achievements:

Craft a teleport:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:48:02 AM by hughperkins » Logged
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 04:25:55 PM »

Did you seriously just up and replicate+improve upon minecraft?
You're my hero.  Gomez
Jacob_
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 05:21:31 PM »

This is probably the best Minecraft spin-off I have seen. Even the original doesn't have colored light!

My only critic is that the jumping/climbing physics seem a little awkward.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 07:59:58 AM »

Please have someone make tiles for you. It looks repulsive. WTF

I like what you're doing and all, really great, but I can't even consider downloading an eye-raper like that Shrug
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:30:52 PM »

That colored light is the kind of stuff that is really moving the tech of games forwards in leaps and bounds.
hughperkins
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 10:29:41 PM »

Wow, I have to say I'm really happy to see these replies!  Thank-you very much!  It's very encouraging to me.

On a practical note, I noticed that someone tried to run BlockWorld on a mac, and that didn't work.  I've just now uploaded native libraries for the mac, so that might work now.
hughperkins
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 12:46:24 AM »

What are thoughts on networked or not networked?

Making the game non-networked is *much* easier, and would allow more time to concentrate on creating interesting monsters and environments.

Making the game networked would involve a number of compromises, and take a lot more work; but would make the game more sociable.

Non-networked would be the 'different from minecraft' design decision.

Thoughts?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 06:10:46 AM »

If you were to add multiplayer:
What would the nature of the relationship of players be?
If you have interesting cooperative or competitive ideas, you should use them.
If you're considering adding it as a simple, shallow component (as fun as multiplayer might be), then I would suggest not? Maybe?

But on your devlog you said you'd started already, so.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic