Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:40:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopColor!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Color!  (Read 1979 times)
aueft
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:01:32 AM »

So I think that I finished a template for a simple 8x8 run animation in 12 directions, but its only white and 2 shades of grey right now. I need to figure out how to color the sprite, but I sorta don't know where to begin.

My first hunch is to just copy the color schemes of spritework that I like, but that seems sorta like cheating.

Is there another way?
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:54:32 AM »

Yes, it's called picking your own colors!
Keep in mind that shadows are darker and highlights are lighter.

aueft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 11:25:20 AM »

Thats what I'm having trouble with: I'd probably just be sorta guessing randomly. Is there any useful tips for choosing "good" colors and shading, or is this just something that will come with more experience?
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 11:40:31 AM »

You might want to check chapter 5 of this course I wrote some years ago : http://opengameart.org/content/les-forges-pixel-art-course (pimp !)

I don't know how accurate the English translation is but hopefully you'll find a few valuable tips.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:53:48 PM by agersant » Logged
thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 03:56:18 PM »

http://tinyurl.com/qzhroo

Now that's out of the way. Please TRY before asking such questions, this is a serious part of the forum. If you need help with colors post a color image!  Coffee I'll get back to you after you've attempted it. Take your time and be choosey with your colors.
Thats what I'm having trouble with: I'd probably just be sorta guessing randomly. Is there any useful tips for choosing "good" colors and shading, or is this just something that will come with more experience?
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 08:50:36 PM »

As green implied, direct copying usually doesn't help your art at all. However, trying to emulate other people can be helpful, like looking at well used skin tones and trying to copy them without looking at their actual hue/saturation/value numbers. It's a pretty common thread across art, emulation of a good artist (or, more importantly, life) helps you while direct copying stunts your growth.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 09:11:54 AM »

I think it looks pretty good uncoloured  Shrug
eben_cs
Level 0

Go in door to get a data!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 01:01:25 PM »

I agree that it does look pretty good in gray.

HOWEVER, if you get stuck with colour schemes easily, you can try the Color Scheme Designer. It allows you to easily play with various colour schemes like triads, complementary, analogous colours and such. It might help to give you some ideas!

Coffee
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic