Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:21:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSynthetic Arc
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Synthetic Arc  (Read 3946 times)
CoreDumped
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2011, 02:43:19 PM »

This is a shooter inspired by games like Alien Abduction where you shoot stuff that moves Smiley

The engine is powered by mostly opensource stuff
Renderer: Ogre
Physics: Bullet SDK
Scripting: Lua
Audio: OpenAL
Input: OIS
Modelling/Level Design: Blender
Music: Hyperduck SoundWorks
Art: Bought some textures from DexSoft Games

The entire gameplay is scripted in Lua and the engine is coded in C++

I'm learning Blender and will hopefully create some decent levels after i am done with the gameplay

EDIT: Latest Video:

EDIT: Latest Screenshot:

Video:
Basic lighting model with Normal, Specular, AO

Older level with previous engine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc_fQUwoz1o&feature=related

The engine is cross platform with platform specific stuff abstracted to plugins and tested on Windows and iPhone/iPad

For more details, visit: http://syntheticarc.com

Ali
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:30:40 AM by CoreDumped » Logged
saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 03:04:39 PM »

Interesting, do you have more info/concepts on the style?

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 03:47:27 PM »

Yay! Nice to see you dude :D (we did the music behind this!)

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:17:53 PM »

The graphical style looks pretty good, but of course the scenery is pretty plain right now.
CoreDumped
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 11:47:10 PM »

Yay! Nice to see you dude :D (we did the music behind this!)

Hey Chris/Dan,  thx! how are you guys doing?

Hopefully I'll get the game done this time :D
CoreDumped
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 04:19:38 AM »

Created a new level in blender:

CoreDumped
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 12:47:56 PM »

The graphical style looks pretty good, but of course the scenery is pretty plain right now.

thanks. added more visual detail for you viewing pleasure Smiley

Interesting, do you have more info/concepts on the style?

I'll update that shortly

Uploaded a new Video:

Here is the basic rendered scene using Diffuse/Normal/Specular Mapping

Added support for pre-baked Ambient Occlusion.  Looks much better now. Notice the darker shades below the platform.   Also added a Bloom filter

I need to reduce the batch count (85!).   Although instancing is supported, the entire level is one single mesh (for light mapping).   So the sub-meshes are not instanced.
CoreDumped
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 03:24:48 AM »

Added bullets using billboards and ribbon trails.  A bullet can be assigned a trajectory handler script which takes care of the path of the bullet.  e.g. the sine wave path in the pic, or it could home in on a target

Can be configured from within Lua

DementedChicken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 02:59:42 PM »

Nice!

You're using similar development tools as me. A lot of people say never use a 3D modeling tool as a level editor, but I used blender + python scripts as a level editor for a project which I put on hold (too ambitious! Tongue) and it worked well.

Are you developing in Linux?

I like the look of the ambient occlusion render in blender. If your environments are not dynamic, you could consider putting a pre-rendered ambient occlusion map on the level to make it look even better!

Just a thought. Coffee

Whoops, didn't read it properly, it looks like you did put an ambient occlusion map on! Embarrassed The ambient occlusion makes a big difference to the blue scaffolding, etc. I wish I could do this with my game now, but the levels are procedurally generated so it will take a bit of work. Crazy

Any more info on what you plan to do with gameplay, etc?

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 06:24:05 PM »

This game looks really cool. I love the graphics and the music.
CoreDumped
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 07:14:33 AM »

Thanks guys

As for using blender,  you are right, it could be a decent level editor but it doesn't offer you much control.   I'll have to use workarounds to define triggers/spawn points etc

The main reason I'm using Blender as a level editor is for the pre-baked AO

Are you developing in Linux?

Nope Smiley  I'm on windows.  I like the Visual AssistX plugin in MSVC ^_^
Qqwy
Level 1

To who might ever read this: I love you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 09:09:40 AM »

This looks very nice  Smiley. I really like it.

Also, It might be interesting to make some kind of level that loops around at some point, as opposed to the levels you have now. You could make a level that plays on a sphere or something. Of course, this could be hard to implement with the code you have now, but it might be an interesting idea.

Ř̺͈̮ͬͣ͑͂͊̐a̲͈̲̩̫͍̟̕i̪̪̩̼̩̊̽ͫn̴b̗̠͈̯̲͡ͅo̥̤͓̥̩̾͐ẅ̺́͢ ̴̙̑̍̅o̰̹͙̻̭̘̅͌͐̾ͅf̖̖͖͍̽̅̉͡ ͓̱͓͔̖̣̗ͭC̽҉̗̼̳̖͇̳h̺͕͠a̵̾ͤ͆́́o̼̙͖͎͍̳̅̿ͣs͓̒̌̀  FOCUS-Bytebeat
DementedChicken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 01:08:34 PM »

As for using blender,  you are right, it could be a decent level editor but it doesn't offer you much control.   I'll have to use workarounds to define triggers/spawn points etc

Heh heh, me too. My scripts for adding spawn points, etc. actually just add an empty mesh with a name that follows a special naming convention. Then when the level is exported, the export script looks at the name of each object and if it follows the naming convention for a spawn point then it interprets it as that instead.

Not exactly ideal but it's still a lot faster than writing your own level editor from scratch!

CoreDumped
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 06:29:21 AM »

Added AI Path finding support with navigation meshes using Recast Navigation

New Video:

CoreDumped
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 06:35:05 AM »

This looks very nice  Smiley. I really like it.

Also, It might be interesting to make some kind of level that loops around at some point, as opposed to the levels you have now. You could make a level that plays on a sphere or something. Of course, this could be hard to implement with the code you have now, but it might be an interesting idea.

Thanks. Thats an interesting concept, kinda like mario galaxy.  However the nav mesh generation won't work with it
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 07:07:03 AM »

It's looking brilliant man. Too good.. stop being so good.. ENOUGH ALREADY! Screamy

CoreDumped
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 07:55:40 AM »

It's looking brilliant man. Too good.. stop being so good.. ENOUGH ALREADY! Screamy

^_^
DementedChicken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 05:12:45 PM »

Oh! I was looking at recast a long time ago but never got a chance to try it.

Is it easy to work with? What's it like?

CoreDumped
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 09:03:16 PM »

Oh! I was looking at recast a long time ago but never got a chance to try it.

Is it easy to work with? What's it like?

Yep its simple to integrate.  There is no documentation but the code is well written and heavily commented.

It comes with a nice editor where you can create your nav mesh for a level and save it.   Then you load this nav mesh in your game and perform path finding queries on it

You could also generate nav mesh during runtime, since your levels are procedurally generated
DementedChicken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 10:33:14 PM »

Yep its simple to integrate.  There is no documentation but the code is well written and heavily commented.

It comes with a nice editor where you can create your nav mesh for a level and save it.   Then you load this nav mesh in your game and perform path finding queries on it

You could also generate nav mesh during runtime, since your levels are procedurally generated

Yet another thing with bad documentation!  Cry The lack of good docs for Blender's python script API is a source of many of our woes ...

But if you recommend it then it must be good! The current version of Tropical Dungeons is getting a custom path finding algorithm, but if (when?) we do our next game I'll definitely try it out. If I ever get stuck I might ask you for advice though!  Coffee

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic