Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:04:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBloodshed: A strategy game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bloodshed: A strategy game  (Read 1106 times)
tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:13:20 PM »

BLOODSHED

Hello there, this is my first DevLog here on the forums. This is my first game in awhile that has really grasped my attention, and is wanting me to make it. So here are the rules:

1.) The max amount of units you can have at any one time is determined by population, larger cities have a larger population.

2.)Units are of various types, infantry, tanks, artillery, helicopters, ect..

3.) Units of various sorts can only be produced in cities of high enough industrial levels (A tank can't be made in a village, while militia can). Later on I plan to put in research, put that will wait until that little bar is >70%.

4.) Units can only move to an adjacent blotch from the one they are at.

5.) Turns are simultaneous, you make your inputs and your opponent does the same. The inputs happen at the same time on the battlefield. Think Diplomacy, not Risk.

6.) Units have three numerical qualities to them. Attack, Defense, and Support. Attack is used when a unit is trying to move to an adjacent blotch, Defense is used when an attacking unit comes onto the blotch the unit is stationed at, and Support is used when you choose to support a unit (more on that later).

7.) The turns go as such, Movement, movement, movement, building, research(when in the game), then back to the beginning.

8.) The building turns are when you build units/buildings, only one thing to build per city during this time however. You may build in any city you captured.

9.) When unit 1 supports unit 2, unit 2's Attack and Defense get a bonus equal to unit 1's support value for that turn. However unit 1's defense is reduced for that turn as well.

10.) When two units attack each other (or into the same blotch) the stronger moves to where it was heading, the weaker is destroyed.

11.) When an unit attacks a defending unit, if the defense value of the defender is higher than the attack value of the attacker then the attacker is repelled. If the attacker is stronger however the defending unit retreats to fight another day. (Automatic retreats, randomized to an adjacent open spot)

12.) You may win by taking over the entire map, taking over the majority of population, taking over the majority of a resource, or taking over the majority of industry. It depends on how you set up the winning conditions.

Mock-Up not a Screenshot
Facepalm

The numbers
1.) Shows that you can scroll in that direction.
2.) Flag of who is controlling that territory
3.) A unit, in this case an infantryman
4.) Shows that there is a city/village there. You can build there.
5.) Information about your faction.
6.) Information on the territory your cursor is hovering over.

The resources:
Population: Already mentioned, determines how many units you can make. Certain units require more population than others.
Petrol: Needed for vehicles to move and function.
Food: Needed for people (infantry, snipers, ect) to move and function
Industry: Already mentioned, determines what level of units you can make in a given city/village.

Maps:

1.) Current one in production is the one shown, that is the Libyan Civil War of 2011. Good map to see if all my code works, and is going to be the one to be played in the early days.
2.) A cross-strait war, ROC vs PRoC. ROC will have industry and technology on its side, while PRoC has the population and territory. This is what I think will be a good second map to make. Where I plan to really make my naval forces programming work.
3.) The African theater of WWII, Axis vs. Allies vs. Ethiopia. This is where I'll start implementing Allied country AI and see how it goes. Where I'll make sure that diplomacy can happen between countries, as the other two maps were just 1 on 1.

Temporary Unit Sprite Sheet (The black you see is actually completely clear)

Units from left to right: Destroyer, Attack Helicopter, Submarine, Artillery, Infantry, Militia, Tank, Icon for City, Mortar
Progress in Creation of the game:
1.) Made it able to scroll
2.) Made a sprite class, for generic usage.
3.) Working on "Nodes". For movement of units and pathfinding.

This post will be updated with more information (units/maps/progress/ect).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:18:52 PM by tergem » Logged

Games made so far (completed):Spike teh dodge, Unnamed puzzle game, Galaga clone, Generic Top-Down Shooter, overly simplistic business simulator In dev: Platformer!
tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 09:55:52 AM »

What I got done today.

Implemented collision detection Undecided, don't know if it will really be needed. But I put it in anyways.

Put in code needed for animation.

Modified the sprite class further to allow for both scrolling and non-scrolling objects.

Contacted an artist friend of mine, he seems interested in the project. Until then I'm going to have to work with my (horrible) pixel art skills

Made a minor change in the Libya map, a city was moved one blotch over in order to be a more accurate representation of the country.

Not an impressive day, but I still have 8 hours left of it.

Edit: One hour later, I complete the modifications to the sprite class to allow for scrolling and non-scrolling entities. A small bug has appeared. I'll be trying to fix that.

Edit #2: The bug was fixed.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:03:36 PM by tergem » Logged

Games made so far (completed):Spike teh dodge, Unnamed puzzle game, Galaga clone, Generic Top-Down Shooter, overly simplistic business simulator In dev: Platformer!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic