Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:36:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDutch Angles
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dutch Angles  (Read 3792 times)
yuliy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2011, 08:44:50 AM »

Dutch Angles is a sidescroller, arcade game I've been working on in Unity.  The idea is that you are moving through a pipeline and you need to avoid getting hit by enemies either by evasion or by using your shield.

The enemies in the game are drones which just fly towards you, hovering drones who hover a little in front of the player and eventually explode in a shower of bullets, and physical walls that the player is unable to go through.  Your shield is able to absorb hits from enemy drones and enemy bullets, but for each hit you take your shield power will decrease.  To get more shield power you need to fly close to enemy drones (the red spheres), without actually hitting them.

Scoring in the game is time based, so your score in the game is how long you were able to survive.  Your current time is displayed in the top right hand corner, and right under it is the amount of hit points you have remaining.  The longer you survive in the game, the faster everything starts moving and the more bullets that spawn from hover drones.  Also as time progresses, the camera rotates around the pipeline giving you a different perspective on the game.

Controls
Space Bar - Acts as a Start Button
Right Shift - Activates/Deactivates your shield

I showed a previous version of the game over the weekend, and got a lot useful feedback, so any kind of criticism that I can get here would be appreciated.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?bmnqfmxq416421t

Christoffer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:08:03 AM »

Looks interesting. I'll try it in a moment.

I just wanted to tell you that you should enter it into Lunarcade Factory as they're theme is lines and it looks like this would fit right in. You can find more info here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=18904.0

yuliy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 12:31:40 PM »

Looks interesting. I'll try it in a moment.

I just wanted to tell you that you should enter it into Lunarcade Factory as they're theme is lines and it looks like this would fit right in. You can find more info here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=18904.0

Thanks for telling me about this, hopefully if I get the game together in time I'll be able to submit.
santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:05:32 AM »

hey yuliy we are preparing a webpage with all the games presented at the jam. Can we add yours? We will link back to this topic!

yuliy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:53:33 PM »

hey yuliy we are preparing a webpage with all the games presented at the jam. Can we add yours? We will link back to this topic!

That'd be great!  Sorry I wasn't able to work much on the game during the actual jam, I had to work on a project for class.
FrankForce
Level 2

This tepid water is tasteless.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 05:48:02 PM »

Nice visual style.  Since there's only one button involved you might want to put it on a few other common places so every player can use what is comfortable for them.  I would prefer left shift or spacebar.  I didn't understand why stuff was exploding at first and framerate took a major hit when it did.  I almost gave up before I realized that I was only supposed to use my shield to block the small yellow particles and that it needed to be off to power it up.  You need a way to show the current shield power when the shield is turned off so that the player can see when it gets recharged.  The numbers hurt the visual aesthetic, there's no need to show the fractional time component.  Instead of just numbers maybe you could represent the player state by something more visual, like changing the color as your health is going down.  Pretty fun after I got the hang of it my high score was 123.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic