Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:42:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDerelict [working title]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Derelict [working title]  (Read 1104 times)
meathelix
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2011, 10:45:31 AM »

Ok, so this is my first time posting a project here. I'm hoping that this one has some legs and that the working title doesn't ironically doom it to abandonment.

The one line pitch is System Shock meets Starflight. I want to make a space sim with the grand scale of explorable possibility with the intimate scale of interacting as one person. The mechanism for achieving this is allowing the player to walk around inside ships and stations from a first person perspective and seamlessly transition to piloting a ship and back. If a ship is autopiloting, inertia is left to take over or an NPC is at the helm, the ship will continue moving while the player walks around inside.

The first pass of what I'll consider a complete game will involve the discovery of random stations and ships and the ability to dock with them and enter. There will eventually be crew members and equipment, zero-g maneuverability and customizable ships. The important thing for me is taking this one closed loop at a time so I can have a core experience that is fun and manageable to implement, then follow that with expansion into the more ambitious (landing on planets) systems.

The platform I'm working with currently is XNA, using BEPU as a physics middleware solution. It's been easy to work with thus far, and I still have a lot to learn with game programming. If I start to see limitations that outweigh the benefits, then I might change horses and suck up the lost work in the transition.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. I have a doc around 10 pages long that's just a list of ideas I want to apply to the game, and I might spill some of that over the coming weeks. One of the biggest questions I'm tackling right now is how to approach a low-fi art style that empowers the simulation by keeping things simple.

I've also got a sizable list of games that have influenced the project that I might post as well at a later point, to sort of show where I'm coming from.

And here's a video of what I've got so far:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/IDOvCjkjPsc
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 10:49:53 AM »

It's a bit hard to see things with those textures, but I'll assume they're placeholders. Looks to have a lot of potential so far, though!
meathelix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 02:39:24 PM »

Yes, the textures are definitely placeholder. I was trying to see what mileage I could get from the 8bit aesthetic, and I'm also still getting the hang of loading meshes and textures together in XNA, in addition to working with the mesh exporters and how they package everything together.

That's also part of the art style issue I'm pondering. I'm not exactly shooting for a Minecraft in space look, as that implies a degree of constructive granularity on the player's part that I'm not ready to promise. Trying to find something between that and the first System Shock, maybe.
Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »

http://www.laughing-dragon.com/derelict.aspx

Friend of mine made a game called Derelict. It is kind of a cool name, might get confusing though...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic