Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 01:41:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Outlaw, The Drunk, and The Whore: El Demo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Outlaw, The Drunk, and The Whore: El Demo  (Read 914 times)
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2011, 05:24:52 AM »

Hi everyone, this is a game I released awhile back called The Outlaw, The Drunk, & The Whore. I know everybody has certain unrealistic expectations for their own games but I really think this is a good and fun little game and should have probably done better than it did.

I am kind of wondering ways in which I should / could tweak it so it would do better with the public and since everybody and their mother comes to TigSource I figured this is as good a place to start as any for feedback about it.

Here's one review for it at The Daily Click from somebody who's played the whole thing:
http://www.create-games.com/review.asp?id=3588

--

Info from the ODW homepage:

I've tried to make ODW like a NES-ish action game with slight Diablo style elements. So although it's a lot of shoot n' stab, there's also some stat building and even a rudimentary item system. These items, called "Antiques", can be bought from the Mexican bandito and can increase your stats or give you special powers like healing or bonus damage vs. rocks (for example).

The 3 characters have been killed trying to steal a ton of government gold and are brought back to life by none other than the devil. All have a gun and a melee weapon, as well as a special "Gringo Skill". The Whore for example can summon one of two different types of critters to help her kill enemies. The Outlaw has a 3-way piercing shot that tears through foes, and the Drunk can lay down an old-fashioned bomb and do it that way. To round out your moves you also have a dash button to run and avoid damage / escape. This is heavily controlled by your Stamina stat.

Go through each stage a killin' and a lootin' all the live long day. Once you've reached enough kills the hell portal to the next stage will appear and you'll enter a state of Deviltime. During deviltime all enemies are stronger and faster but also are worth more points. Points are important because it's the main way for players to earn extra continues and have a better chance of making to the very end.

NOTE: To get the best ending, try to find all 4 hidden Ace cards!

Features:

3 Playable Characters
8 Stages (El Demo has 3)
12 stats to increase
30 Antiques
NPC shops and etc with randomized stock
NPC Prisoners to save or rob- your actions may have consequences!
A slots mini game to win stuff
Lots of enemies and things to destroy
Boss enemies that include a civil war era ironclad warship (Full game only)
Hidden wanted posters
A special hidden poker game (Full game only)
Top 5 Scores
An Old-Tyme Museum that keeps track of your collected antiques from game to game
Passive starting stat bonuses from those Antiques kept there (Full game only)
Keyboard / Joystick support
My lovable face at the beginning!

--

http://del_duio.sitesled.com/ODW/ODWinfo.html

Thanks guys!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:38:30 AM by Del_Duio » Logged

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
Hyper Emerson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 05:41:51 PM »

Yo, Del Duio. Yoritoshi here.

While i like the game, there's a few things in it that bug me:
-It's pretty much impossible to beat the game if you're lacking luck or are no good at the slot game. It's true that the game gets quite easy if the player manages to increase the attack stat enough, but without that, i don't see how the last levels could be beaten. All it takes to die horribly in this game is to get surrounded by three or so fast enemies, after all.
-In Hasslevania, it was always annoying to see nothing drop out of candles while i was farming. It's the same thing with boxes here.
-I didn't find the Outlaw's Triple Shot to be useful.
-After you beat the game, the gold counter resets from max to 0 for some reason. It shouldn't be like that.
-The game only saves the relics collected during the game over screen.
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 03:36:46 AM »

Yo, Del Duio. Yoritoshi here.

While i like the game, there's a few things in it that bug me:
-It's pretty much impossible to beat the game if you're lacking luck or are no good at the slot game. It's true that the game gets quite easy if the player manages to increase the attack stat enough, but without that, i don't see how the last levels could be beaten. All it takes to die horribly in this game is to get surrounded by three or so fast enemies, after all.
-In Hasslevania, it was always annoying to see nothing drop out of candles while i was farming. It's the same thing with boxes here.
-I didn't find the Outlaw's Triple Shot to be useful.
-After you beat the game, the gold counter resets from max to 0 for some reason. It shouldn't be like that.
-The game only saves the relics collected during the game over screen.

Hi Yoritoshi!

The slot machine is supposed to be hard but you can get more spins depending on different secret conditions upon clearing that stage. For example, clearing stage 1 with a fully loaded gun gives you +1 spin. If you're buying antiques or killing way more enemies than you need to after deviltime you'll get more free spins too.

The bandito shops are set to give randomized goods every time you play the stage and it's set up like this: First slot- Ammo Bag, Medicine, Snake Oil, Anti-toxin, Disease Cure, Extra Points. Second and Third slots are used for stat power ups that could have any of the possible stat boosters but there's a better chance to get a "good" one on the third slot (gun power / melee / defense). The Fourth slot will always have one of the antiques. Sometimes the best bet while playing may be to buy up the cheaper stat boosters instead of trying to save up 2 or 3 stages for an antique.

I think the Outlaw's gringo skill is mostly useful for big crowds (civil war stage for example). He probably has the weakest of all characters' special skills but I felt because he started with the strongest gun stat and most max ammo it couldn't be too superpowered or it'd be unbalanced with the other guys.

The game only saves antiques collected at the game over screen because if I didn't do that you could just buy an antique / die on purpose / buy another from the same stage / die on purpose / repeat and because the game gives you starting bonuses depending on what antiques you've collected this would be an easy exploit (potentially, you lose half your money when you die so it wouldn't be doable really unless you had $99 to start with or something anyhow.)

Didn't know about the 0 gold nugget thing, I will look into it!

Also, the percentage of zero drops from boxes or barrels should be really low, how often did you get nothing from one?

Thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:42:09 AM by Del_Duio » Logged

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic