Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:55:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThat isometric game with rodents
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: That isometric game with rodents  (Read 13160 times)
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 04:54:19 AM »

Progress? Also, if this is going to be redwall like, olease, spit the author in the face and make at least one rat/ferret/vermin who is a good guy.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 04:59:20 AM »

More eye-candy pls!
Lord Badger looks great.

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 11:18:07 AM »

More eye-candy pls!
Lord Badger looks great.
Heh, if only I could reach Adarias. He's been afk for days >.<

Progress? Also, if this is going to be redwall like, olease, spit the author in the face and make at least one rat/ferret/vermin who is a good guy.
There's a fox and something which might be a rat (it's a mysterious character) in the playable characters. Also there's a good guy who's a lizard. I don't think the original was meant as a racist metaphor but I still don't feel very comfortable with this interpretation.

Day #008
Ok, this is yesterday's update actually. Hopefully I'll get stuff done tonight to post a new update. Here's what got done :
· Fixed a very annoying bug where ennemies could "dodge" Blind Strike which is a line nuke by walking against it (the following happened : tile A receives  damage -> target moves from tile B to A -> tile B receives damage. Skill dodged.).
· Made projectiles animations. That can go to their target with a cool parabola. It might require a bit of tweaking to look nicer but I'm happy with it atm.

Eye-candy
A frog (or a toad, I don't know).

I'm almost out of eye-candy =(

EDIT : Actually today probably won't get an update because I'm tired and more importantly, I have no idea what to code.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:25:15 PM by agersant » Logged
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 11:51:14 AM »

Don't worry, I never have any eye-candies Smiley

Please make platypus hero: Frog, Badger and Platypus - Wreck Trio.

ndchristie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »

The artist is here!

I've been swamped and don't have a huge amount to contribute, other than hopes that the art will begin to move forward soon in pleasing ways.

I can confirm that the "vermin are bad" thing doesn't sit well with us, although we loved the books.  There are two towns, one a happy town full of "goodbeasts" a la Brian Jacques and one a thriving trading center which values ability over apearences (so plenty of good vermin and bad mice there).

We don't have any Coldblood hero characters planned, but they aren't distinctly evil either.  As mentioned, the hero cast has a Fox and a Rat(?) included, as well as the expected mouse badger mole hare squirrel and shrew.

As far as "can the stories coincide," you won't be able to play more than one of the 8 main storylines in a single game.  however, you can recruit any of the other 7 during that game, or all 7 if you choose, and play their "mastery quest", which is the 2nd main quest that character has (each character has 4 quests - start, recruitment, mastery, and final).

What's expected is that most players will go through with their first choice and get all the characters, do all the quests, etc...then play the game through in a "short version" (just the unique quests) for the other characters they like.

Hopefully we'll make a much prettier post soon enough Smiley.
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »

Shortest day ever since I posted yesterday's update earlier tonight.

Day #009
· Got another long discussion with Adarias about loot, this time we got it right (I hope).
· I started programming the loot generator, with inspiration from the almighty Jarulf. It's more work than I thought but it's fun to do and hopefully it'll turn out well. I cant wait to see rings drop on the floor with a chime sound.
· Resisted temptation to play Diablo "for inspiration"
· Sent build v0.1 to Adarias. On my way to 0.1.1 now ! Beer!
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 05:03:30 PM »

Day #010
Hurrah for two digits in the devlog !

Today I got the chance to discuss more things with Adarias who accomplished the following :
· Work on the tileset (new rough tiles)
· Work on the badger animations (some rough frames)
· Made a world map

On my end, I could do this :
· Added editor shortcut to crop at game's resolution
· Coded the Loot Generator with features similar to Diablo (prefixes, suffixes, unique items etc.). It all works but I think the code could be better with some refactoring. I even ended up doing a cast No No NO. I'll probably rework that very soon.
· Made it possible to export items as XML nodes, I'll have to add those to the save files.

Eye-candy

WIP.
eben_cs
Level 0

Go in door to get a data!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 08:42:23 AM »

Day #010

Eye-candy

WIP.

Nice eye candy!
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 01:41:27 PM »

Day #011
Not a very fun day but stuff got done :
· Cleaned up loot generator code a bit
· Added items in save file
· Made items proc their bonus when needed
· Added climbing, jumping, hopping and falling to character movement. It is also used by the pathfinding algorithm =)
· I suspect there might be a small memory leak somewhere. I'll try to run the game in a profiler.
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 03:49:19 PM »

Day #012
Today was my first day at work (not in a game studio this year, but very cool nonetheless) so I'm going to work on this game only in the evening from now on =(
What got done today :
· Lots and lots of profiling to find the source of the memory leak. I eventually found it and it turns out the mistake was not on my end ; it seems to be an implementation error in the HaXe language. I talked about it on the HaXe mailing list, let's see what happens. I hope I did not make a ridiculous mistake there though >.<
· Started coding knockback on-hit-effect so you can smash ennemies around. I'll keep working on that tomorrow.

Eye-Candy

As I said, Adarias is still working on the tileset but I like this map already.
PowRTocH
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 04:23:03 PM »

I like this map already.

Me too man, me too.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »

Ah- that map brings back fond memories of Mario RPG on the snes. Wonderful work you're doing.

ndchristie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 05:47:50 AM »

Small note from the artist here :

As you can see, the tileset is still rough, many of the giveaways (outlines on the gray stone, even, repetitive stacking, visible sculpting-blocks) will go the way of the dinosaur once everything is in its right place.  It's also worth noting that you're looking at the playing field - only areas which are considered for pathfinding are rendered in the shot below.  The rest of the map will flood out in all directions, so that the bright blue "end of the world" never appears on camera.

Hopefully soon Antoine will run this map with characters and full movement, so that we get a better understanding of how the pathfinding works, and particularly how characters can take advantage of the terrain, by hiding in the rift there or standing on a large platform.  We plan to make good use of rises, troughs and bottlenecks in addition to the more open area-type maps you'll be seeing.

Me, I'm just happy my sand looks good in position :D
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 03:47:43 PM »

Day #013
I'm very very tired because i havent been sleeping enough lately and my daytime work is very exhausting (yet very interesting). I did very little stuff today, but I suppose that's better than nothing.
· Sent more mails to the haXe mailing list to make my point with the memory leak I think I spotted.
· Worked a bit more on knockback effect. It's partly working - but it's very hard to tell how well it works whithout animations to support it since all the hard bit is making sure things look good in the end.

Tomorrow I'll do more work on knockback, hopefully finish it. Then I should look into LOS algorithms and try to make something cheap because I'm running out of CPU/frame.

Eye-candy
Today's a trap ! The eye-candy is profiler output showcasing my awesome memory leak.

I got this after running a small program showcasing the leak during 13 minutes. Scary.
Zulaan
Level 2

┌∩┐(◕‿◕)┌∩┐

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 05:06:23 PM »

love the art and that AoE attack  burnstripe has looks sick!

I got twenty-five cans in my knapsack, crossin out the wick-wack
Puttin up my name with a fat cap
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »

Day #014
Another busy day at work with little stamina for home programming, but I prepared some fun tasks for the upcoming weekend !
What I did today :
· Moar mails to the haXe mailing list, I hope I finally made my point about that nasty memory leak
· I did put in the game the rough badger frames I had. I was tired of seeing him facing South West all the time.
· Completed the knockback system. There a few magic values left to remove (they all have a TODO comment, don't worry) here and there but it works quite well : there's a lot of cheating involved but the illusion is nice.
· Out of curiosity, I tried to disable Z-sorting and see how much performance I gained. The result is holy shit ! Optimizing this bit can give me lots of CPU time back.
What I'm planning to do is replacing the Flash default sorting algorithm with an insertion sort. Since the display list doesnt change much between frames (moving characters may move accross a few spots, that's about it), I'll get close to O(n) which is probably much better than what I have right now =)
· Researched LOS (Line of Sight) algorithms and while I was at it also FOV (Field of vision) algorithms. Lots of good reading. For this game, I'll use a simple Bresenham line algorithm to check wether targets can be fired at. It should be easy since I've already programmed it in Java at school (for a different purpose).
Cool articles on this subject :
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Line_of_Sight
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Category:FOV
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 04:46:37 PM »

Day #015
Quite a lot of things got done to today :
· Rewrote my PHP code to use SQLite rather than MySQL. I've been using SQLite at work and I think it suits that kind of project better so here it is.
· As planned yesterday, I optimized the Z-sort algorithm and gained about 12FPS.
· Did some optimization on pathfinding. The AI still needs more optimization if I want the game to run fine on my laptop in all circumstances.
· Lots of bugfixes relative to knockback
· Added possibility to jump over small obstacles (before today, the character could only jump gaps)
· Sent build 0.2 to Adarias
· For the first time, I had a bit of fun playing it. The gameplay is starting to work.

Tomorrow's planned tasks include more optimization and hopefully the announced Line of Sight computation for ranged attacks.
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2011, 09:03:21 AM »

Is this made in GM?

Sakar
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2011, 11:00:04 AM »

Is this made in GM?

Quote from: agersant
Technologies : HaXe with Actionscript 3 API, PHP, XML

Looking good so far!
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2011, 06:41:23 PM »

Day #016
Quite a few things done today, but not the ones I had in mind :
· New editor function (requested by Nate) to fill tiles below the cursor.
· Linked game engine and editor so that we can switch between them with just one key stroke.
· Solved cache problems (very frustrating when you work on a game and constantly update files) with an Apache conf file.
· Improved editor's UI

Hopefully, I'll finally do the line of sight stuff tomorrow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic