Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:16:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationMazemup [Finished]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mazemup [Finished]  (Read 4129 times)
scottwashi
Level 0

I wash myself with a rag on a stick.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 29, 2008, 01:30:52 AM »

Sup everyone. I've been reading TIGSource for awhile now but haven't actually competed in any contests or talked on the forums. I think the competitions are great and wanted to try out one this time. I think I'm about %75 done with it, but here's going to be my entry:

Mazemup
(Combination between a maze game and a shootmup)

I don't know anything about programming, but have always been interested in game design, so I wanted to try and make the gameplay as procedural as possible, but this was the best that I came up with.

Gameplay/Story:
You're a cyclops whom takes care of a maze/labyrinth area that has gone awry. You are supposed to be in control of everything, but you have lost all control. Explorers enter the area and you must shot them enough to destroy them. A maze generates around them and changes in real time. There is sometimes also no way to reach the explorers, making you wait until the maze forms to benefit you. You also have Pillars that were supposed to shoot at the explorers, but now only target you; but these pillars have a random possibility of either damaging you, damaging itself, healing you, increasing your speed, or decreasing your speed.

The game keeps continuing increasing the amount of walls composing the maze and the amount of pillars attacking you. You shoot eye beams that can destroy the explorers and the pillars. The amount of explorers you destroy is you level/current score.

Here's some screenshots so far:

NEW UPDATE: I've got a finished version now: Mazemup here
also Here , in case the first one stops working.
Sorry, but windows only.

I'm welcome to any critiques anyone throws my way.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 02:27:59 PM by bigcess » Logged

Checkout my games at http://www.scottwashi.com
BobFM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 07:38:37 AM »

I love mazes. I'm kinda weird that way. The changing walls sound cool.
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:13:58 AM »

Great first entry!   Beer!
The randomly changing maze layout was kind of odd, but it worked!  There were times when the explorers would be deep in the tangle of pillars, which made shooting them particularly difficult without dying, but I didn't encounter anything that made it impossible.  I liked being able to clear the screen of bullets with the space bar while taking a hit to health.  Made it feel somewhat more tactical, though once I got slowed down a bit there didn't seem much hope for success.  Anyway, keep up the good work!
Cheers,
--Zack
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic