Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 01:14:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingJugglePix
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: JugglePix  (Read 2263 times)
Glauco
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2011, 03:58:28 PM »

Hey there, good evening!

Around two months after finishing my first game, I'm here to announce my first experience with Flash and Flixel: JugglePix!

Considering the useful time of development, it took around two weeks to finish this game. All you need to play it is a mouse with a working left button.

I'd be thankful if you people could tell me what you think about the difficulty: is it raising too fast or is it ideal? I've been receiving opinions of all kinds regarding this topic. Also, does it look well-polished for a drawing-skills-impaired developer retro-styled game?

You can play the game here.

Thank you!

Glauco Roberto
Game Developer
http://grpires.com
Jimbly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »

I like it!

I thought it was rather challenging - I got to about 60 points on my first game, a little over 100 on my second, which both appear to be quite a bit below the the top scores, but also provided about the length of game I wanted to play for some quick distraction, so I don't feel it should be much easier.

The first 10 seconds I found rather boring - perhaps starting with 2 pixels out, or even just letting you be able to shoot by clicking (even if there's nothing to shoot) to allow some exploration while waiting for the pixels to fall.  On my actual first game, I just started clicking on things while waiting and ended up experimentally clicking the X which apparently exited out of the game... ^_^.

Polish looks pretty good, nothing stuck out as an eyesore to me.
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 12:08:44 AM »

Hi,

Wow I was very impressed by this. A very original take on the breakout style of game. I found the difficulty curve to be just right (not sure what I scored though!) One little niggle I had with it was the I could see my mouse pointer which got a little confusing when I had the target for disarming the bombs...
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 12:44:25 AM »

Right now i tried to enter the webpage, but has been blocked by my antivirus Screamy.

Glauco, can you check it, please??

Dropout
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 02:42:44 AM »

I quite liked it, and i think the visual style, the music et al go together very well.

In the way of feedback i would probably prefer it if it was a bit more punishing:

By that i mean, i started making mistakes when i lost control of the board, I was on tilt and it was all downhill from there, but the game left me continue in this state while my health bar depleted, and i got to witness and feel my failure. I would have probably preffered it if i died a bit quicker, restarted, and concentrated on never getting on tilt in the first place

Obviously there is a balance though, so seek other feedback.

Luca

Glauco
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:10:36 AM »

@Shackhal Well this is odd... that never happened before! It seems everything's okay in my website. You can check the game here too.

@Jimbly It's great to know the game length is fine Smiley The X button has to be clicked twice to exit the game, so clicking accident doesn't ruin a highscored match. Should I rethink the X button (for example, when clicked, add a exit button in the middle of the screen)?

@kidchameleoun Thanks! I think the mouse problem is happening on linux systems... Is it your case?

@Dropout Interesting observation, Luca. Some people are experiencing too - I'll think of how to fix this.

Thank you for all your responses!

Glauco Roberto
Game Developer
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 09:29:12 AM »

@Shackhal Well this is odd... that never happened before! It seems everything's okay in my website. You can check the game here too.

This webpage worked for me Big Laff

Well, i have to say that is really challenging and addictive, and the music keep in sync with the game. Nice work Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

P.D.: I have made 93 points XD

Jimbly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 11:06:29 AM »

The X button is probably fine, I really only clicked it twice because I was bored waiting for the one pixel to bounce...  though, having a pop-up confirmation to exit might be more clear.  Alternatively, do we really need a way to exit mid-game?  Just dying or reloading presumably accomplishes the same thing.

As for losing control of the board, I felt the opposite - I lost control for a little bit, and then regained control, and my health was then right near death.  Then, from a very small mistake (just missing one thing), the game ends.  I hesitate to suggest the health regenerating or anything like that because that might lead to too long of games, but it might be worth trying (less total health, regenerates if no mistakes in X seconds, etc).
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 12:06:15 PM »

@kidchameleoun Thanks! I think the mouse problem is happening on linux systems... Is it your case?

Windows XP SP3, FireFox 3.6.16
sc_q_jayce
Level 0

Let's Clean the Toilet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »

200 on my first try, not bad of a game.  The only thing that bothers me is that the game freezes whenever it gives a message.  This actually was what ended my first run, as it popped up milliseconds before the pixel was about to hit my paddle, and when I clicked out, it moved past it and wiped me out.  I'm sure I would have gotten it otherwise.

The bombs are tricky.  Are there no other mechanics above 200, other than the gray platforms moving around and multiple bombs?  Does it just continually get harder afterwards?

Run, don't walk.
Glauco
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 01:21:24 PM »

@Shackhal Thanks! I'll do my best to bring more challenging games Smiley

@Jimbly I disconsidered health regeneration because I wanted the game to be quicker. Good to know you liked it like this.

@kidchameleoun Weird... I'll look into this problem and tell you if I find any solutions.

@sc_q_jayce These messages give you a chance to take a little break, and whenever you want the game to resume it should be easy to hit the next pixel, since you can just position your mouse right on it. That time window must be of one second. AS for difficulty, It reaches maximum challenge at around 225 points, and it is really hard to maintain a high amount of health after that moment. Few people were able to get past 300 points (4% of all gameplays)

Glauco Roberto
Game Developer
Arts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 01:46:24 AM »

I think that old school arcade games won't become popular any more...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:04:26 AM by mark22 » Logged

Developing an online racing game StreetRally
Repealer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 03:09:47 AM »

I love this game! you've taken an unoriginal core game, and by adding interesting gameplay elements, have made something truly enjoyable!

For feedback, I think the game works really well as a flash game, and you could definately sell something like this on the iOS or Andriod market easily Smiley just something to think about.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic