Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:32:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRada - 3d exploration/puzzle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rada - 3d exploration/puzzle  (Read 3038 times)
multivac
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2011, 05:31:03 PM »

I think its time to start a devlog here, because against all odds, I'm making steady progress.

While I don't have everything hammered out, I feel that this is the project I've wanted to start for a long time.
The game is set in a world that's suffered a sort of a pastoral apocalypse - there are ruins, but the vegetation is steadily reclaiming everything people have built.

And buildings there shall be, first of the keywords for the game is megastructures.
Most structures you encounter will be colossal in scope, and built to last centuries, often obscure in purpose.
The second keyword is, for a lack of better term, anomalies, remnants from whatever cataclysm destroyed this civilization.
If you have read "Roadside Picnic" or played STALKER, you have an idea what I'm going for.
The third keyword is the art direction - blurred and indistinct, with dark lines in the shaded areas.
This nonrealistic look might be the part that turns some people off, but I find the style refreshing.

Most of the game will be centered on travel, survival and environmental puzzles.
For the people who wanted to know how I pulled off the painterly style in Unity, expect a detailed post soon.
And for now, I'll leave you with two screenshots:

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 05:35:31 PM »

Oh wow, that is beautiful! Also the gameplay sounds very interesting.
Can't wait for more info on this.

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:55:47 PM »

megastructures (blame! ??) and Stalker mentioned in the same post, that's what I like to see!  The painterly style you've got going looks great, I'm curious what your approach to building structures is, are you using prefab/components made in another 3d program? (personally I'm hooked on using Sketchup for all my level design needs)

57E
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »

Nice style you have.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:04:53 PM »

This is a must-follow project. WTF

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:09:10 PM »

Bitchin' yo!

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 12:31:20 AM »

This is promising. It seems like you've got some good ideas here. This is definitely an ambitious project, I hope you continue to make progress steadily because I want to play this Grin.

Incidentally, I really like "A Roadside Picnic."
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 03:40:07 AM »

Those screenshots look gorgeous, I'd love to see how the style translates in motion.
Love your premise for this game.  I'll be watching the thread!

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »

o-o

awesome

multivac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 10:13:04 PM »

Alright, wrote up a technical post about the rendering http://rada-game.blogspot.com/2011/04/technical-post-rendering-and-materials.html
XRA, blame! is definitely one of the inspirations Smiley
About the structures, yeah, I'm using prefabbed blocks made in 3dsmax and assembling in Unity.
aDFP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 05:51:43 AM »

This is looking great already, beautiful style. Also, thanks for posting the details of your rendering, I've been meaning to play around with shaders for my own project, so I'll definitely be looking at that.
multivac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 01:40:25 PM »

Working on a physical interaction system, I think I'll go with a grabby hand like in the Penumbra games.
On a visual side, I finished a system for painting damage on objects in realtime, it's based on vertex colors. It is actually pretty flexible, I think I'll get a lot of use out of this tool.

multivac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 01:33:04 PM »

Making a bunch of assets, a loong way to go, but i can already play lego with them Smiley
Unity's vertex snapping is a godsend, building things with it is actually fun.
Also, I made Beast's lightmaps play nicely with the rest of the stuff, so I can have global illumination and cheap, smooth lighting all around.
And here's a pretty picture:

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 08:17:58 PM »

I love the look of this  Smiley
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 09:06:02 PM »

I agree with Kitheif's avatar.
Helmeted
Level 0

Death Panelist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 04:13:38 AM »

Beautiful, man.
I love me some STALKER. Favourite game, favourite movie. Roadside Picnic is cool too. So I'm a fan. I just love that feel of exploring those places where it seems magic is possible.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic