Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:41:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopInspired to sprite, roguelike
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Inspired to sprite, roguelike  (Read 2397 times)
kevglass
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 19, 2011, 04:08:46 AM »

Thanks to buddy over here I got all inspired and thought I'd have a go at spriting for myself for once (never really done it myself):

(a little warrior - no weapons yet)

I want to display at 32x32 pixels in size.

It doesn't look good enough for me to use, but I wondering if anyone could help me make it better and/or point me at some suitable tutorials for this scale of spriting - most of the pixel art tutorials seem to deal with bigger scale stuff. More than happy to start fresh here but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks all,

Kev

kevglass
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 04:57:36 AM »

Little bit more:

Kev

thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:43:16 AM »

By this scale you mean 16x16? With such small sizes every pixel matters. Think about each one, what does it represent, is it adding anything to the image or just cluttering up?
buddy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:02:20 AM »

Hi there!

Well one thing I _try_ to think about most is to allocate the most pixels to the key features. I guess that's basically what thedaemon said in the previous post..

I read this tutorial: http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/chapter8.htm

and I have also referenced a bunch of GBA RPG sprites which often are 16x16.

/buddy
kevglass
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »

Great tutorial! Really good stuff on shading. I was hoping not to end up with that final fantasy style (super deformed?) but I guess I'll revisit with those proportions and see if I can make it any better.

Cheers both!

Kev

thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »

Well I think your original's pose/style is great. I was really talking about color/hue/contrast.I'm sorry I haven't posted an edit yet. Too tired right now, but experiment with the colors and see what happens.
LDuncan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 07:52:56 PM »

Take my advice with an enormous grain of salt--I haven't really done pixel art in ages and I wasn't that great to begin with...

... but there seems to be some issues perhaps with "banding." To be honest, I don't quite get the whole banding thing myself, but I've been trying to read up on it and understand it better. Anyway, from what I get from it, it's using pixels in a way that actually makes your pixel art look like it's at a lower resolution than it really is. In your sprite, for example, the blockiness of his left arm and shoulder actually makes the perceived resolution of your sprite to be 8x8 instead of 16x16. There are also a lot of 2x2 same/similar-colored blocks in the sprite that strengthen that perception of a lower resolution as well.

Anyway, someone else could probably explain that a ton better than I can.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic