Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:27:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationThe Adventures of Charles Dumbbell [Finished] Demo
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Adventures of Charles Dumbbell [Finished] Demo  (Read 25078 times)
ichi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 05:09:46 AM »

....DAMN.
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 08:28:07 AM »

Oh crap, it's Snake. Shocked

This sounds like the burliest game ever made.

Why does everything always link back to Colossal Katamari?

In any case, the game is progressing smoothly so far. I had someone test a build yesterday and I realised I had to make the tasks a bit more obvious. Now that I've fixed that, it's on to making the exploring worth it.

WHO ARE YOU? And where have you been all this time?

You know that guy you sometimes see on the bus? The guy that looks like he might kill you in a dark ally? Yeah. Sorry about that.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 08:37:08 AM »

Because it's an awesome picture and it's fan-service. You should expect it. Tongue

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »

Ok... So my dyslexia has played it's usual tricks on me. It appears the deadline is *monday* night and not today.

I'm nearly done with the demo, but this extra time means I can compose some music for it. Time to whip out the NES tracker!

Oh yeah. And you can burn things now.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 02:10:44 PM »

Ok... So my dyslexia has played it's usual tricks on me. It appears the deadline is *monday* night and not today.

I'm nearly done with the demo, but this extra time means I can compose some music for it. Time to whip out the NES tracker!

Does that dyslexia also give you massive art powers?

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »

Does that dyslexia also give you massive art powers?
I think it was a trade. Art skillz for the ability to read it right the first time.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 06:46:51 PM »

DO WANT
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 06:55:36 PM »

You know that guy you sometimes see on the bus? The guy that looks like he might kill you in a dark ally? Yeah. Sorry about that.

Oh, that's you! I was wondering about that. Phew, that's a relief. Although, come to think of it, you neither confirmed nor denied your intent to murder me in a dark alley. Though with said murderer's ability to produce Giant Circus Jetpack Mans (who can now burn things!), does it really matter?
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 02:31:32 PM »

Ok. So I've managed to put in all the sound-effects, added energy items, an item to increase max health if you can find it and fixed a bunch of bugs.

It's midnight, but I'm going to pull an all-nighter to get this done in time. By US time, I should have an extra six hours. Right now I'm starting on the intro, and we'll see how far I get from there. The game has crashed on me twise without warning, so this is beginning to look troublesome. If I manage to piece together the intro and handle the few remaining bugs I might have time to compose the music after that. Won't hold my breath though.

Here goes!

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 04:00:32 PM »

Good luck, looking forward to this. Would love to see how the mission generation has turned out.

Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 04:36:29 PM »

Going to have to dissapoint you there I'm afraid.

There's only one mission open in the demo. Since each one is unique, it takes a while to put together. Randomly lighting heroes on fire is serious buisness. Hopefully, the demo will give a taste of what it might become.

(On a sidenote. Halfway done with the intro)

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 07:48:22 PM »

Because it contains volatile amounts of awesome, and was done in MSPaint. WITH A LAPTOP MOUSE.

Oh, the game is definitely on my radar now, by the way. Even moreso than before.

Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 07:51:15 PM »

Demo is finally up.

The whole thing is very WIP at the moment. The intro is mostly sketches and there's a  few bugs I didn't have the time to handle. I'd really love to add music since I've already composed the whole soundtrack, but I guess that's just how it is sometimes.

I'll fix things up at a later time. Right now I just need to make the deadline. Hopefully you'll enjoy it regardless.

Controlls are the arrowkeys, Shift and Ctrl. I think you can figure it out from there.

I'm off to bed. Hell it's nearly 6 am. I'll be back to check on things once I wake up sometime during the next few days.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 09:05:59 PM »

What a trooper. Grin Downloading now.

Okay, I love the pixel art so much. It just oozes awesome and the animation is so fluid.

I like the destructable tilebased levels too.

I did run into a bug. At one point when the witch was talking to me The game experienced MASSIVE lag and would only go forward if I kept the attack key pressed. The lag continued until I finally quit.

Please please finish this past the compo. Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 09:23:08 PM by Melly » Logged

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 10:32:41 PM »

Oh lawds, issat some MMF1.5? :D

The pixels are delicious... but I'm sure you get that a lot.
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 04:13:02 AM »

Shite!

I just had a playthrough of the demo this morning and I realised my Quick-win toggle key is left in the game. Must have been left in when I loaded some backup data. I'll upload a new version to fix it.

What a trooper. Grin Downloading now.

Okay, I love the pixel art so much. It just oozes awesome and the animation is so fluid.

I like the destructable tilebased levels too.

I did run into a bug. At one point when the witch was talking to me The game experienced MASSIVE lag and would only go forward if I kept the attack key pressed. The lag continued until I finally quit.

Please please finish this past the compo. Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

I know about that one. It's actually one I still haven't figured out. I suspect it's MMF choking because too many samples are played at the same time, but I honestly don't understand why it would do this. I've tested other games on several computers with the same issue, so it's a constant problem.

Oh lawds, issat some MMF1.5? :D

The pixels are delicious... but I'm sure you get that a lot.

It is. I actually have MMF2. Plan was to use it to fix the bug Melly mentioned, but the first engine was created in 1.5, and porting it didn't work at all. Appairantly, MMF2 uses a different object hirarchy, so you couldn't break any blocks. Was more or less forced to finish it in 1.5 unless I wanted to remake the whole game. Trust me though, I'm ready for something less buggy...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 04:20:42 AM by Snake » Logged

Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »

Very cool, I love how the guy twirls his moustache.

Josh R
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 07:51:33 AM »

I love the art and the controls/physics but I can't figure out how to consistently find the witch, so far i have only found her once. (But I died soon after).

Film/TV/Game Composer
Yuka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2008, 08:16:06 AM »

Me thinks this needs to be in windowed mode. I can still see how good the pixel art is but the pixels are too big.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2008, 08:23:59 AM »

Me thinks this needs to be in windowed mode. I can still see how good the pixel art is but the pixels are too big.

But big pixels are neato!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic