Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:48:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)I need a simple tile based map editor, that will output to a text file.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I need a simple tile based map editor, that will output to a text file.  (Read 5515 times)
jmjmjmjm
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2008, 03:24:26 PM »

Hi I'm new.

Hello, in my game I use .txt files to hold my map information. Each character, (such as "a" or "A" or "1" or "!") stands for a tile or sprite.

Here's a picture of what one of my map files looks like

So does anyone know of a map editor where you can simply assign the tiles one character assignments (such as "a" or "A" and "1" or "%"), and then output it to a text file, where top row is top row of the map editor, last row is the last row in the map editor?

I have been looking for about a month while making my project, and I am at the point where I need to begin creating levels. I have tried about 20 different map editors, and they only export in arrays, or other programmy language type things. Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 03:26:27 PM by jmjmjmjm » Logged
increpare
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 04:06:01 PM »

I have been looking for about a month while making my project, and I am at the point where I need to begin creating levels. I have tried about 20 different map editors, and they only export in arrays, or other programmy language type things. Thanks for the help.

I haven't used any map editors recently, but many allow you to customize the format that you output in: I'm pretty sure they automatically put each row on a new line, and some, if memory serves me correctly, allow you to specify custom separators (which you could set to be nothing in this case). Don't know to what extent that helps.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 04:20:15 PM »

I made one, but it dumps binary files only.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
jmjmjmjm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 05:10:41 PM »

Well I've tried about close to 30 now, and none print out simple text files.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 06:15:44 PM »

You may have to make your own.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
jmjmjmjm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 07:00:05 PM »

You may have to make your own.

That's something I really don't want to do lol.

Here's a pic of my game if any of you were wondering what the editor is for.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 07:40:37 PM »

holy shit  Shocked

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 11:17:26 PM »

Why not write a simple converter that opens one of these binary files, reads it in, and writes out a text file? That way you get the power of a fully-developed editor for a couple of hours work (writing the converter).
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 01:17:46 AM »

http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net/

TileStudio lets you create a custom text output with as much or as little information as you need. I found it was easier to take one of the existing output modules and cut out all the information I didn't need.

jmjmjmjm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 10:32:51 AM »

http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net/

TileStudio lets you create a custom text output with as much or as little information as you need. I found it was easier to take one of the existing output modules and cut out all the information I didn't need.

Yeah that's one of the ones I tried to use but I simply couldn't get it to work.  One of the problems was that I couldn't assign what I wanted to each tile.  Do you know how to go about doing that?

And that binary converter idea is pretty good Garthy, maybe I can actually find a binary converter online!
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 01:50:18 PM »

When in the map editing mode, if you click the button on the left-hand side labelled "00" it will bring up a "map code" box where you can change the value of the map tiles you place. This will be saved as a separate array when you output the file and you can use it to determine what items should be in your blocks etc.

increpare
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 07:41:47 PM »

This is the closest thread topically to what I want to post, so: WHEEEE! I finally got mappy to work on wine.  Much level-edity goodness for me!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic