Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:35:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHuman Values - Adventure
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Human Values - Adventure  (Read 1057 times)
Bernie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 26, 2011, 08:21:07 AM »

Hello there! I'm working on a game at the moment, and I figured a devlog may help keep me motivated.

I think my gaming mind is stuck in the 90s because that's the time I had the most fun with games. I finished a bunch of silly, clunky games like that, too. Fun! And I guess I won't stop making those anytime soon. With that out of the way:

Human Values (working title)

What is it?

A point and click adventure! It runs in an engine I made for Adobe AIR. The good thing about this is, it'll run in your browser or phones that support Flash/AIR - so basically every Android device with Android 2.2 or higher.

I'm keeping this quite low on resolution and frame rate because I have this annoying full-time job that keeps getting in the way. Less workload raises the chances of this getting finished.

An AIR/Flash Adventure Engine?

Yeah. It produces results reminiscent of early Lucas Arts adventures, but can be tuned to make games look and play like those clunky Sierra games. It also runs on touch devices. In terms of capabilities, it can do pretty much what you can expect from point and click adventure games:

-dialog portraits or LEC style talking
-animated characters and backgrounds & pathfinding
-vector or pixel graphics
-dialog choices
-inventory
-cutscene script (like this: walkto(player,x,y,blocked:flag), say(player,"Yay.",blocked:flag))

It's a little rough around the edges, but it works. This engine thing is done, so I'm designing the actual content at the moment.

What is it about?

Oh! Right. It's about some grumpy, antisocial 40-something who isn't coping all that well with losing his job. He also has nightmares on a regular basis.

The story revolves about a conspiracy in the company that grumpy old fart worked at and sorting out the source of his nightmares - by visiting them! The nightmares can be influenced by changes in reality. While it's not possible to die in this game, a death in the nightmare results in waking up.

Basically, the game can be finished around the middle point of the game. The rest of the content is secret/optional. This makes for a few different endings and a less linear adventure game. There are no dead ends in this game.

Screenshots!

Other Stuff!

Status
Engine: 95%
Story:   100%
Puzzle Design: 90%
Puzzle Coding: 20%
Backgrounds: 30%
Sprites: 20%
Music: 100%

Overall:40%

http://www.origamihero.com - freeware oldschool games |  gamedev twitter
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:34:32 AM »

Looks really nice, love the graphics!  Although in that last bit of character art it does look strangely as though his ear has just exploded...

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Bernie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 03:23:19 PM »

Oh. Now I can't unsee that. Thanks! Grin Glad to hear you like the graphics so far. I was worried because I can't spend as much time on them as I'd like to.

What I did today:

-Added possibility for night/day versions of rooms (part of the game takes place at night)
-Bugfixes related to game saves
-A cutscene that serves as a transition to the first night

Night example:

Another character doodle:

http://www.origamihero.com - freeware oldschool games |  gamedev twitter
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic