Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:52:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationFaith, to a certain Degree [Finished] (ready to win)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Faith, to a certain Degree [Finished] (ready to win)  (Read 14144 times)
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 02:45:06 AM »

Oh, by the way... for anyone who would like to play the game (or tried to play already) ... to adjust the difficulty, have more actions each turn.

In the rules there are 3 actions per turn. That turned out too hard and I recommend you to play 5 actions per turn. So just lay out 5 instead of 3 action-cards each turn.

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 01:14:22 PM »

So has anyone come to actually play the game? Smiley
Did your experience any problems? How was it?
Unfortunately, I did not find enough time for polishing the game before the deadline hit us. :/

BaronCid

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 02:57:59 PM »

I haven't yet, but I just came across this game working my way through the comp entries.  I'll print off the rules and give it a shot later.

Edit: Also, cheers for making a card game!  I know it'll get less attention and be less flashy (just like the mainstream board / card game market these days), but doing game design via board and card games is just as valuable from a design perspective as the digital kind.  Every game designer should be capable of prototyping ideas off of a computer and into a board game; it's often the best way to quickly and cheaply test out whether a concept will be fun or not.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 03:02:21 PM by joshg » Logged

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 03:27:05 PM »

Like I said in my review thread, it's pretty fun, but it can be annoying when you get an insta-kill event. I didn't understand why the first event fate card was flipped at the start of the turn when I read the rules, though it made sense when you explained it in this thread. You should make it clearer in the rules. However, I'm not sure how well it works as a mechanic because you're not *supposed* to look at the event list anyway, are you? So knowing that the event will be between, say, V and VII, is not going to help until you've played the game a lot.

Glad to hear you're considering a multiplayer mode because I think it would work really well.

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 03:45:47 PM »

Thanks for the support, guys. :D

Like I said in my review thread, it's pretty fun, but it can be annoying when you get an insta-kill event. I didn't understand why the first event fate card was flipped at the start of the turn when I read the rules, though it made sense when you explained it in this thread. You should make it clearer in the rules. However, I'm not sure how well it works as a mechanic because you're not *supposed* to look at the event list anyway, are you? So knowing that the event will be between, say, V and VII, is not going to help until you've played the game a lot.

Glad to hear you're considering a multiplayer mode because I think it would work really well.

Well, you are actually not supposed to look at the result-list. It is allowed to look at any other list.
And I understand the insta-kill thing. I just thought about it. I guess it should get better if you increase the number of actions per turn.

I'm pretty frustrated that I didn't get to actually beta-test the game with friends or something. I finished writing down everything during the two days before deadline. And those days where right in an evil exam-period at school, by the way.

So none actually read through the rules and played the game before I published it. That's never a good thing to happen.

I'm actually working on the multiplayer-concepts already. I think this could get really interesting. And since it's much more fun to have insta-death when you're with some pals... it's worth it!
I just realized that I did not just create a game but a framework there.
What about "Faith"-games about constructing towers with knights and princesses in them? Or about building huge space-stations? Or about building MMORPGS? (Wink )
You'd just have to modify the reference-sheets and maybe make some slight changes to the rules and that's it: new game.
It would be so awesome if someone modded the game some day. :D :D :D

BaronCid (Vote for FAITH, it's the only way to get into indie-heaven)

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 06:06:09 PM »

That seems interesting, unfortunately I don't have a set of playing cards  Embarrassed

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
mechturk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 06:36:57 PM »

Well, I tried it a couple of times, and found it rather hard initially.  I thought that the dwarves should be able to see the tiles (cards) that they were next to, so when I played, I'd flip over any cards that the dwarves could see.  Also, it's a bit hard.  Only once did I head down to the second level, where I was promptly killed by goblins.     My dwarves starved a bunch of times too.   Cry

Still, the concept is interesting enough.  The game reminds me a bit of the Lone Wolf gamebooks.

Nice work.
tim333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »

I like your game concept a ton, but in its current state it's nigh-unplayable.

Here is how my first game of Faith, to a certain Degree went: I used your suggestion of 5 actions per turn, but only got three resources because that many fate cards matched my miners. I didn't have enough resources to build anything, so I went to the event. I could only choose the worst option because I didn't meet the other requirements; this got me some evil points and sent me to another event, which again forced me to choose the worst option due to requirements, only this time it got me an instant game over. ON THE FIRST TURN.

I considered pretending that hadn't happened and continuing, but glancing through the result list, I saw so many GAME OVERs that I considered it pointless. The game overs can't be avoided unless you're lucky enough to have gotten the resources to build something. Making the game instantly over when something happens that the player can't control is just bad game design. It would be much better with some half-measure, like subtracting from an HP stat, or even just killing one miner, although the latter would still be pretty bad.

Really, I admire what you've put together here; the STRUCTURE of a really cool game is there, but the game itself is pretty much broken at this point.

Edit: I tried it again and managed to last several turns this time, and even build a couple of things. Due to the odd distribution of resource requirements, though, I ended up with a lot of resources yet unable to build anything because I had tons of hearts and clubs but only a couple spades or diamonds. I was able to avert the same event that killed me straight off my first game with structures I'd built, but on turn 6 I hit another event, the earthquake. I didn't have tunnel improvements, so I had a choice of two options, either of which resulted in game over. Terrific.

This game needs lots of changes to really be playable.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 05:46:36 PM by tim333 » Logged
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 05:03:52 AM »

Thank you very much for the info!

Well, I'm somewhat ashamed I did such poor balancing there.
(I have to say that I produced the game 2 afternoons+evenings during an exam-period in school, so I had no time for beta-testing... I finished just before the deadline came.)

I actually wanted the game to be hard but of course playable.
I will definately take some slight changes on the rule to make the game playable...
Maybe more actions per turn and a new event-table in which less happens on the first few floors.
It's still hard to balance such a game without a full-fledged QA-team.  :D

This game actually was meant to be something everyone can work on. A "community-game" since anyone can customize and rewrite certain rules to improve the game.

Thanks a lot, BaronCid  Wink

jbrodack2008
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 07:59:09 PM »

while theres nothing wrong with creating a card/board type game and sharing it with a video gaming board I'm not completely sure if it belongs in this contest.  wouldn't be my kind of thing but hope you can tweak it so people who like the concept can enjoy it more
goldbuick
Level 1

where am I?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 09:05:48 AM »

I refuse to play this game because of the period of time on #tigIRC where every 5 seconds was "PLAY MAI GAME PLZ"

--== AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ==--
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 09:22:33 AM »

while theres nothing wrong with creating a card/board type game and sharing it with a video gaming board I'm not completely sure if it belongs in this contest.  wouldn't be my kind of thing but hope you can tweak it so people who like the concept can enjoy it more

a.) I don't see "Video Game Board" written here anywhere.
b.) My game has most characteristics of a typical video game.
c.) I still don't see a reason in not fully accepting my game as suited for the competition. I didn't break any rules. No wait... You have to read coherent sentences... which maybe kinda disqualifies it.

I refuse to play this game because of the period of time on #tigIRC where every 5 seconds was "PLAY MAI GAME PLZ"

Yeah, I actually did that to attract more players knowing that people would take it serious.

I think I just stretched some people's mind's borders here.  Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic