Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:43:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLast Delusion (Back to Basics)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Last Delusion (Back to Basics)  (Read 6122 times)
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2011, 04:38:39 PM »

Did anybody like Final Fantasy VI and up? Yeah, me neither. The demake contest is over and I was never around for it, but today, I'd like to introduce a little RPG experiment of mine...

So what exactly is this?

Did you just read the above sentence?

Synopsis

A historian manages to invent a vehicle that can traverse through the temporal plains. To get history possibly a little more accurate, Rico heads back a few centuries where magic was rather obvious. Unfortunately, there also was a cliff right in the vehicle's path and caused a crash, leaving the protagonist in that year.

Specs

Language: C#?

Visuals, Program Code: Player 3 (me)
Music: Rayven?

Logs

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:51:11 AM by Player 3 » Logged
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 06:47:09 PM »

It took me a moment to realise what you did with the title... Facepalm  Cheesy

But I like RPGs, so I'm interested in seeing what you do. Just hoping the Final Fantasy Flamefest gets its own thread in General, rather than happening here.  Wink

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »

Day 1

After going through a little design notebook of mine of a previous attempt at this, I have realized that Last Delusion's system would work more like Phantasy Star's rather than Final Fantasy's. How? First-person combat and dungeons, not-that-interesting battle music, and even cutscene *.PNGs! Screw *.FMVs!

A battle formula is also in the works, which will be derived from the classic Dungeons & Dragons d20 equations, but not quite. Oh, and sketching the main protagonist in Photoshop.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 07:50:27 PM »

That plot sounds fun, and if you keep up that awareness and snark in the game, I'd be quite happy. Best of luck with this project, man!
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 02:03:02 PM »

Day 2

So I've come to an epiphany. I have officially named the main protagonist Rico for no apparent reason. Still working on his sketch. Travelled back in time in a craft known as The Time Reaction, also a synonym.

As for the parties, three members make a full party, excluding the leader, Rico. Comrades can be acquired at pubs, bars, whatever you call it if you're politically correct. Why? Everybody else has. Peer pressure, y'see. You can find these gathering places in locations where both the adjective and the noun (animal, specifically) start with the same letter, eg. Prancing Pony from The Lord of the Rings series. In those places, you can find people of all sorts of classes, statistics, money, and whatnot. Heck, if you're looking for specific statistics, you can even post classified ads there.

Oh, and to balance this out, in order to gain another party member, one must hit the trail and/or bite the dust. In the main pause menu, select STATS and then LAYOFF. They'll be gone immediately. If someone dies, they're gone immediately at the turn of death. Looks like a Phoenix Down can't help you this time. To add on to the difficulty some RPGs are known for, Rico must not die, or else it would have been as if everyone did. aka Game over, man!
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 04:30:39 AM »

Still in the design part. Also got a little sidetracked by a school project I had to pull two all-nighters for.

Day 3 (For 31.04.2011)

I am contemplating Scala for the programming language used. It supposedly runs off of Java, which would be nice for cross-platform compatibility. Heck, my worstation is a fresh Xubuntu installation. By the way, I'd recommend Xubuntu as a distro, as it uses XFCE and is very fast on my horribly outdated machine that I somehow won't stop complaining about. Anyway, that settles the main parent language: Java. AIR would be better for other, smaller, miscellaneous things, like configuration applications, level editors, and "arcade" games such as Pocket Protector. I had a pound of cheese in my pocket, and no one bothered to protect it!

Onward to today's design phase. Many RPGs claim that a good night's sleep can cure lethal poisoning, amuptations, cause exorcisms, and even revive people from death. If that happened, I'd be a millionaire from selling the bed that does that. Because I don't have such a bed, that ain't going to happen. When resting at an inn, going to sleep with a poisoning will lead to the character's death the next morning, characters will still be possessed, feel numb, et cetera, or be gone because they were dead and smelling up the place. No one wants to drink their mead in a place filled with the dansk staunch of rotting corpse. Don't worry, all of their items will be dumped on the floor for you to collect. Just pick them up and head downstairs to hire more hands. Remember: The cheaper the character hired, the more useless they will be, in starting stats and/or class types.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 04:39:54 PM »

Another update for today. Rayven is offering to compose for LD. I am quite elated. No, really. Listen to his stuff!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 01:55:41 AM by Player 3 » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 07:11:09 PM »

Wow, you seem to be getting a lot of ideas down!

A note, however: perhaps you could justify the auto-Game Over, by Rico seeing or hearing of a future version of himself; if he dies, that future instance never occurs, and a paradox then happens.
Rayven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 03:05:27 AM »

You should add me to the music bit in the OP.  Grin
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 06:54:29 AM »

What? Final Fantasy VI was my favorite Sad VII was great, too... Are you sure you didn't mean VIII and up?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 01:27:36 PM »

This sounds interesting, but I guess I can't say much at this point. Scala I've never heard of before. I'll take a look at it. Anyway, I'll be checking in on this project! I like the plot.

What? Final Fantasy VI was my favorite Sad VII was great, too... Are you sure you didn't mean VIII and up?
I'm enjoying XIII at the moment...

Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 11:16:17 PM »

IV to VII are the highlights of the series for me. IX and X were good, but not as good. I didn't get very far into XII, and XIII I forced myself to finish, but I was wishing for it to be over by the end of Gran Pulse.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 11:02:03 AM »

I just didn't like FF6 because if it weren't for the characters, it'd mostly be FF2 all over again. FF7 and up just give me the bad vibes of generic JRPGs. Personally, FF1 and FF5 are my favorites. But this is about Last Delusion, not ITT: Final Fantasy.

Anyway...
Day 4

Managed to get a conceptual sprite of Rico.

Blond, spiky hair? Check. Scouter sans power level? Checks over nine thousand. Pretty cool outfit? Also check. Witty personality? What kind of "parody" RPG is it if the main protagonist doesn't have one? That's all for today.
Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 12:03:40 PM »

Cool protagonist Smiley

With all of those features on him, I have to ask how often the characters are going to be breaking the fourth wall...  Cheesy

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 01:23:43 PM »

Less than that occurred in Conker's Bad Fur Day.
Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 08:05:14 PM »

I never played it, but from the wikipedia entry, it sounds pretty crazy and very awesome  Cheesy

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 06:47:51 AM »

Hey, kids! It's time for some more news!

Day 5 in actual production...

I made a mockup starring one of the game's story-based recurring antagonists, Dr. Ungood, Ph.D! What is this "core" you're talking about? Erm, nothing. Nothing at all. Shocked Carl, they're on to us!

If you wanted to know what some of the overall graphics would look like, here it is. Pixels can go shut their face. You probably have also noticed that some characters have different letters below their HP numbers, such as SP, MP, and PP. These will be explained another day when I can fully understand on what they mean and why they exist, for design purposes. In fact, I think that I could go back to AS3/AIR, after hearing that something as complex as VVVVVV was done in ActionScript 3 and managed to get sold on Steamworks. Not that this would be for sale, or anything like that.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 03:32:31 PM »

Day 6

Some more design to help you other designers out. In this post, I discuss the uses of HP, PP, SP, and MP and why they exist.

HP (HitPoints) is the very essence of life. With out it, we'd be thirsty. Really thirsty! Actually, you'd be dead. Potions and miscellaneous items will replenish some of this HP. HP may also decrease when a character is inflicted with a status, attack, bad-tasting food, explosive diarrhea, et cetera.

PP stands for Power Points. More physical skills will consume PP. That includes skills such as HYPERSLICE3.

SP (Special Points) are more for skills that aren't quite magical, but totally aren't normal. How about FLEX to raise SPEED?

MP (Magic Points) Here's the fun part. Magic is what makes your world go 'round. Spells such as HASTE and FIRE2 work like this.

Note: Rico won't be able to use magic due to the fact that magic is pretty much extinct in his era.
Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »

Ah, cool, I like that you differentiate between the three. It's a little more work, but each character having a specific resource that they consume to power their special abilities helps differentiate the inherent nature of each character, rather than everyone using generic MP/TP/SP/PP

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 11:24:23 AM »

Day 7 - Control Scheme Discussion

I need a little help with determining the official default controls for Last Delusion, along with preset ideas. The NES Emulator preset has the cursor keys, X to accept, Z to cancel. The Default preset consists of the cursor keys, ENTER to accept, BACKSPACE to cancel, seeing that can ll be done in one hand.

Iunno, guys. I need help on some ideas for controls.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic