Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:47:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationLaser Bunny - Adventures in the Alien Death Mines! [FINISHED-UPDATED-OWLIER]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Laser Bunny - Adventures in the Alien Death Mines! [FINISHED-UPDATED-OWLIER]  (Read 22813 times)
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2008, 10:55:51 AM »

HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, OWLIER!
Here is a newly polished up version of the game.
The water chases you much faster, levels are more concise, art given a new lick of paint. Still lots of extra stuff we would like to put in like music, but it just isn't practical with this version.

Dload link to new version is as before:
www.tikipod.com/laserbunny/laser_bunny_setup.zip

and for nostalgia...

Older version can be found here:
www.tikipod.com/laserbunny/laser_bunny_setup_PGC.zip

(OLD STUFF BELOW)>>>
-------

Hello

We finally have the game in a finished sort of state! Hooray.

Dload here (about 4 meg):
www.tikipod.com/laserbunny/laser_bunny_setup.zip

screenshot:

Its our first attempt at one of these competitions, so go easy Wink
Using `Wizard of Wor` as a loose starting point, we have made a little maze shooter with randomly generated mazes.

There are 10 levels in total - with an increasing number and variety of enemies as you progress. Guide LASER BUNNY up through the mines before they get flooded, once submerged you lose ALL lives so be careful.

To install - unzip the exe, then just install away.
Controls are available from menu screen. (WASD or ARROWS)

Note that the poison gas clouds in the game slow your speed temporarily.
Also you`ll have to use your brain to remember what level you are on as we forgot the indicator (go oldskool and use a pen and paper).
And sadly no time for massive end of game bosses Sad
BUT there is an `end of game` screen, so there is a token reward for finishing all the levels!! YAY!!!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:17:36 PM by moogled » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 11:00:58 AM »

Well holy shit the art's awesome, and it seems to have a Borberman vibe to it.

Think you'll be done for the deadline tomorrow?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 11:21:31 AM »

Thanks  Grin
We sure hope to have it done - at least as far as being playable if not 100%. The sounds could do with a mixdown, still missing the player sprite anims, so lots to do still and my brains now beginning to fail....

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 12:31:11 PM »

ok - we are almost ready to pop a version up. Just need to sort some hosting out...

going for the UK midnight deadline of course Wink

Taysticles
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 07:34:10 AM »

Looks great. Fun too. I had a couple of tries, poor rabbit...
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 01:11:29 PM »

I`ve had 1 report of a crash bug so far (a crash on loading), if anyone else has any issues - please post here and we will try to resolve them.

cheers!

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 03:27:04 PM »

Well, first things first, the art is awesome and adorable, and it needs music. Tongue

I liked the simple gameplay coupled with the maze navigation, however you should probably make the experience a bit more concise. Either make each level shorter or split the number of levels by half. They take a good while each to beat, tending to drag, and I think showing new enemies each level would benefit it and make the overall experience more enjoyable, but that might be me.

No bugs found.

Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 09:16:32 PM »

I have to say that after trying 15+ of the weird stuff in this compo, your game was a relief to try. Simple, and no instructions needed. And I had fun for a few minutes with it.

Very good job.

I agree that the levels are too long...

Also, add some upgradeable stuff, a comic-style intro, and you can sell it through Reflexive's portal Smiley.

Daniel.
Ludomancy
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 03:30:35 AM »

Well, first things first, the art is awesome and adorable, and it needs music. Tongue

I liked the simple gameplay coupled with the maze navigation, however you should probably make the experience a bit more concise. Either make each level shorter or split the number of levels by half. They take a good while each to beat, tending to drag, and I think showing new enemies each level would benefit it and make the overall experience more enjoyable, but that might be me.

No bugs found.

All great comments - much appreciated! Bite sized levels would be much more suitable, also some sub stage element (like terracing) so you get a clearer sense of progression. Some secondary gameplay effects would be good too, like flamers burning bushes, and maybe the ability to plant temporary bushes perhaps (works like a shield). And big bosses of course!! Smiley

ta for the feedback!

rtypes
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 01:58:19 PM »

Yep, I agree with the previous comments.
Shorter levels, level indicator and some bosses would be nice. In-game music desirable but not essential, although it really can add to the atmosphere, especially when you're close to bunny death.

Fun game though.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 02:23:50 PM »

Bunny death?  I had 15 carrots by the end!

Anyway, it's fairly simple fun, and well-presented.  But it does seem like it needs a little something... though I can't say quite what.
Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 01:29:20 PM »

Really cute game. Good job.

zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 08:38:33 PM »

I loved the art (of course) and the game was compelling for a while.  It needs a bit more carrot (pun intended) to draw the player on, though.  Once you get far enough ahead of the water there really isn't any sense of danger.  Perhaps more challenging enemies or environmental challenges would help.  Additional power-ups would be a bonus too, especially if you could save them up and use them when needed (flame-thrower to burn down hedges, etc).  All in all a surprisingly polished game!
Cheers,
--Zack
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 02:51:38 PM »

Yeah I think it could do with more pressure. If the water advanced quicker, even just navigating the maze under pressure might be quite fun.

It's really slickly implemented though, and looks lovely!

Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 06:05:49 AM »

I must say I found it quite frustrating to go two levels in a row without any new  enemies, and also the water didn't bother me once. So what this really needed was the difficulty being cranked up a few notches. Also, sometimes an enemy spawned under my feet, or walked out from the mines at the sides, with no warning, which felt a bit unfair.

Very simple but effective animation as well.

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 10:04:41 AM »

BUMP - polished up version now available for folks, see top of thread:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=1929

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 02:58:29 PM »

Thanks to all the folks who voted for us - we hope you enjoyed our small game.

We foolishly only began halfway into the competition, and with no clear plan, so were pleasantly surprised when we managed to get something out by the deadline. Shocked

Beers all round for everyone  Beer! Beer! Beer! Beer! Beer!

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 03:09:21 PM »

Beer! Beer! Beer! Beer! Gentleman Beer! Beer! Beer! Beer!

A fine effort sir.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 11:03:49 PM »

Cheers!  This is a fun game and the art, of course, is great.  As people have already mentioned, the difficulty ramp and overall intensity of the game is slightly off.  Some energetic music would certainly help with the latter.  I think you could also rework some of the enemies a bit to give it some more "oomph."  The enemies that work best are, in my opinion, the red guy that chases you on sight, the laser-eye bug, and the ghost rabbit.  Anything that gives me the feeling of impending doom is good.  Anything that just gets in my way, makes me wait around, or, in the case of the fireball-eye bug, hits me unexpectedly just slows down the gameplay, imo.  I could do with less enemies on screen, but more vicious hunter and trapper-types.

Very much looking forward to your future endeavors. Beer!
Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 09:57:33 AM »

Beers all round for everyone  Beer! Beer! Beer! Beer! Beer!
I take the 1st 2nd beer! Beer! Thanks and greetings from one rabbit-with-gun fan to another one  Wink 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 10:02:09 AM by Lazycow » Logged

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic