Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:25:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVolchaos
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Volchaos  (Read 1633 times)
Fun Infused Games
Level 1

Games so good you could hang your hat on them.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:32:59 AM »

Just wanted to introduce my work in progress Volchaos. It's a bit like Super Meat Boy in a volcano... fast levels, lots of dieing but with a more old school look and feel (and no wall jumping). Lava rises to force you to move along quickly.

Love to hear what you think about the gameplay, graphics, etc.

I'm hoping to finish this up in a month or two and release for XBLIG. A WP7 port and PC release may come later. I probably should start doing PC ports of all my games anyways.

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 11:58:44 AM »

I like the art and music, good job with that.
I'm a bit more concerned about gameplay. From your video, I can tell that jumps start slow and gain speed over time. This looks wrong to me, and I've never noticed a platformer working this way. I'm far from being an expert in this field though so if it's fun to play, just stick on to it.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:55:07 AM »

I'm a bit more concerned about gameplay. From your video, I can tell that jumps start slow and gain speed over time. This looks wrong to me, and I've never noticed a platformer working this way. I'm far from being an expert in this field though so if it's fun to play, just stick on to it.
I actually I quite like the "gaining speed over time" aspect, it's interesting and empowering, what I don't like is the slowness of the fall, the characters takes like one hour to fall back after reaching the apex. Way too long when you have lava coming up under your feet.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Fun Infused Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:14:26 AM »

I actually I quite like the "gaining speed over time" aspect, it's interesting and empowering, what I don't like is the slowness of the fall, the characters takes like one hour to fall back after reaching the apex. Way too long when you have lava coming up under your feet.

I've been reading up on how they did the physics of jumping in Sonic and will likely change this. The current jump mechanic does increase your velocity while you hold down the button for just a brief period... this allows you to hold down jump for high jumps or tap it to do bunny hops. Sonic conversely gives you full speed initially and then reduces your speed if you release jump early on. I believe this is likely a better and more realistic way to handle jumping and plan to switch to this method.

I'll be revisiting a lot of the speed and gravity for the player when doing this too. Less floaty... gotcha Smiley Thanks for checking this out.

SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:26:10 AM »

Skill based games require precise controls. People have commented on the jumping already, but the horizontal movement looks too floaty for my tastes. I'd like to see more responsive horizontal acceleration when on ground.

The graphics are alright, but every scene is pretty monochromatic.

Fun Infused Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 05:24:31 AM »

It's been a really, really long time since I've updated this. Tweaked the movement some and I've been adding / updating existing levels.

I'm shooting for a September release of this game on XBLIG and a PC release down the road after that.

Fun Infused Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 10:35:25 AM »

Fun Infused Games is proud to announce that their retro gaming masterpiece Volchaos is available now on Xbox Live Indie Games for the low price of 80 Microsoft Points (that's $1 US for those of you counting at home).

Download from Xbox Marketplace

"This is a game of love, greed, exploration, friendship, and brutal fiery deaths" said lead developer Kris Steele. "It is a very accurate depiction of what it would be like to be in a volcano seeking treasures and stupidly taunting death. Someone would have to be really dumb to do this for real."

Volchaos is an ultra-challenging old school platformer. As a nameless explorer, you must navigate through dangerous volcanoes in search of precious gems you can use to pay off your mortgage, bad investments, and alimony. To further complicate matters, the lava is continuously rising and an array of enemies stands in your path. Will you become rich? Heck, you will be lucky to survive.

Trailer:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic