Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:39:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTerraria: 1.2 ENDGAME EXPLOSION
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Terraria: 1.2 ENDGAME EXPLOSION  (Read 45367 times)
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2011, 09:14:30 PM »

I'm giving this thing an immediate download when it's released.  Looks like it has a satisfying level of depth, incredible procedurally generated terrain, functional online play, and hours and hours of content for a (price pending but probably inexpensive) game.

Only thing I hope is that Square Enix doesn't raise a stink over the obvious edited FF sprites.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:56:28 PM by ThePortalGuru » Logged
HDSanctum
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 09:51:28 PM »

Wow, that looks fantastic! I couldn't even imagine a 2D minecraft game that could hold a candle to a 3D one.
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:21:41 PM »

Looks pretty awesome!

Before I watched the trailer, the name had me thinking of an adventure like Aquaria but on solid ground.

The player sprites do look a lot like Fighter from Final Fantasy, tho Wink

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:23:48 PM »

The player sprites do look a lot like Fighter from Final Fantasy, tho Wink
That's because they are.  Edited versions, at least.

Redigit and Blue said that they've hired an artist to redo all the character sprites, though, so it's no big deal.
Schmoe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 09:06:36 AM »

Looks like it'll have some fun online play.  I know I'll buy it when it comes out.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:35:13 PM »

Bought it on a whim, played for about 30 minutes.

It's tedious. Hardcore gamers who are in love with Minecraft and have hours to spend to learn all the crafting and chip away at the little blocks might enjoy it, but even then, if you're willing to put that much time in a game, just go ahead and play Dwarf Fortress.

From what I've seen, getting the fluid gameplay presented in the trailer will take you hours and hours of boring involvement.

Yes, tedious is a really good word to describe it. I regret my 10$.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 08:03:13 AM »

Yes, tedious is a really good word to describe it. I regret my 10$.

didn't you play the demo first? can't really complain otherwise -- should always play the demo first. if it's fun, buy it, if not, don't

Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 08:15:30 AM »

There was a demo? I didn't really know. The thing buzzed, I saw it on Steam, and as I said, bought it on a whim.
Oh well, $10 isn't the end of the world and maybe one day I'll have the courage to deal with the tediousness in order to get to the good parts.
teomat
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 08:24:18 AM »

There was a demo? I didn't really know. The thing buzzed, I saw it on Steam, and as I said, bought it on a whim.
Oh well, $10 isn't the end of the world and maybe one day I'll have the courage to deal with the tediousness in order to get to the good parts.

If there is a demo, I can't find it. Not on steam and not anywhere else.
shig
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 08:39:15 AM »

I'm still waiting for a minecraft-inspired game to have good, satisfying combat.

This doesn't seem to be the case here.
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 09:10:26 AM »

I don't get the hype on this one, really, and how it managed to have the first place on steam.
It looks like it came straight from some 14-year-old "I will made a clone of X with everything", and the gameplay and the amateurish graphics are there to support this idea.
Well, I guess it's more deserved than Angry Birds after all.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 10:14:05 AM »

So yeah, they made a 2D Minecraftish game which is great.  I tried to make one of those.

Unfortunately they made it grindier than Minecraft and filled it with a shiton of unrelated gameplay mechanics that don't fit together at allWaaagh!
It's like 'My first GM8 game' or something.
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 11:03:44 AM »

I put in 72 minutes(according to Steam) and was still waiting for something gratifying to happen.

I guess I'll continue so that I can at least see all the content.

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »

The graphics are shit but the you can tell a lot of love was put into the programming. Everything feels quite smooth and solid. And by the way, since when do good graphics = good game? I thought we were more enlightened than that here at TIGSource.

I didn't really understand the hype at first either, but after playing it I think it's certainly more deserving of some indie hype than a lot of other games. There's also the Minecraft factor.

Well being more enlightened means that I'm open to innovative or strange ideas, does not mean that I'm ok with amateurish (and ripped?) graphics and thrown together gameplay for the sake of being "minecraft but 2D".
Obviously I can't judge for everyone, but that was my first impression.

Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 11:44:51 AM »

I guess I'll continue so that I can at least see all the content.

From what I gather this will take you a long, long time.

Unfortunately they made it grindier than Minecraft and filled it with a shiton of unrelated gameplay mechanics that don't fit together at allWaaagh!
Yeah, it definitely doesn't feel coherent. I wonder how much time they spent on play-testing with non developers.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 12:56:28 PM »

The graphics are shit but the you can tell a lot of love was put into the programming. Everything feels quite smooth and solid. And by the way, since when do good graphics = good game? I thought we were more enlightened than that here at TIGSource.

I didn't really understand the hype at first either, but after playing it I think it's certainly more deserving of some indie hype than a lot of other games. There's also the Minecraft factor.

Well being more enlightened means that I'm open to innovative or strange ideas, does not mean that I'm ok with amateurish (and ripped?) graphics and thrown together gameplay for the sake of being "minecraft but 2D".
Obviously I can't judge for everyone, but that was my first impression.

Yeah, I don't disagree. Although I didn't realize the graphics were ripped - is that true?
They changed ripped from FF characters before release tho, but their characters look kinda shitty.

Kramlack
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 07:53:43 PM »

Man, I was about to make a topic on this. My friend just sent me a link to a video.

Okay, so this is what the indie community has come to. Ripping off games and art, and making loads of cash. So basically, I'll just rename a Zelda 2 rom Super Quest Adventure and people will buy it like hotcakes right?

I'm also butthurt at the fact that the art is so god damn terrible, while other better games don't get noticed. I'd even compare it to the likes of how people play Farmville over clearly better games like Harvest Moon.

EDIT: I should add that I'm ashamed to be here seeing how many people actually liked it.
TRONMAXIMUM
Level 0

alpha six productions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 07:55:44 PM »

So people are now completely fine with spending $10 on a 2D version of a game that already exists, using sprites that are blatantly stolen from Final Fantasy?

I don't care how much work was put into the programming, if you're marketing a game for $10 and the graphics aren't even yours, you don't deserve the money. This game should not be sold, and the creators should be sued for pulling some bullshit like this.

If this was just a fangame, this wouldn't be a problem at all. But it's not-- it's a commercial product, and it reflects badly upon everybody who works hard to create original independent games.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:07:26 PM by Alpha Six » Logged
TRONMAXIMUM
Level 0

alpha six productions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 08:15:16 PM »

Well, ignoring the fact that the creators literally admitted it,

Animations are pretty much the same, too.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 08:16:57 PM »

The graphics are now different from those in the trailer, but the ones in the trailer were uncannily similar to the FF style. I do believe they are edits of the FF for the Wonderswan.

EDIT: I have been ninja'd.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic