Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411981 Posts in 69460 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 02, 2024, 12:00:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTerraria: 1.2 ENDGAME EXPLOSION
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Terraria: 1.2 ENDGAME EXPLOSION  (Read 45718 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2011, 04:04:41 PM »

I believe Crowe was talking about how people were saying it's a Minecraft rip-off instead of actually playing the game.

but i haven't seen any posts like this either, at all. people have mentioned it and compared it to minecraft, but that's expected because it's in the same genre. nobody is talking about minecraft to the exclusion of this game, they're just comparing this game to it, which i think is appropriate and on-topic. wouldn't it be on-topic, for instance, to compare aquaria to super metroid in the aquaria thread?

dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2011, 04:18:16 PM »

I wasn't particularly intrigued by the Trailer. Seemed kinda like Minecraft. That's simply my feeling though, not meant to upset or attack anyone. Yet that's the reason I didn't get this game. Judging by the Trailers and Infotexts, the game can't provide anything that I didn't already have in Minecraft.
And if it's about my money, that's all I need to know. At this point it doesn't really matter anymore if there's a whole continent of absolutely awesome gameplay enhancing features just around the corner: The advertising campaign kinda failed to convey those to me. It might be a smart move to advertise the differences instead of the similarities.

Now that I know there are a lot more features, my gut feeling still tells me to skip on this game. It has missed the point to grab my interest, it has missed the chance to abuse my initial enthusiasm about the concept. That's good news for my wallet though. Tongue

On a different note:
Denying the similarities or getting all mad about someone mentioning them will make enemies out of indifferent people. If you look at it from a certain perspective, it's obvious that there has been some inspiration - and that's totally cool and fine. By getting all mad though, you're not enlightening people to see it from your perspective but instead antagonize them and drive them into the "it's minecraft 2D" camp.

Obviously of demonic ancestry. In that case, can I get my wings please?
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »

Who, Me? Ho that's THIS popular!  Crazy wasn't aware of that

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: May 22, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »

yeah but it was just released. it'll level off later -- new releases are always the most popular for a time

in any case good for them, it's good to see indies beating lamestream industry games (sarah palin reference) -- minecraft and terraria are just the beginning

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 22, 2011, 04:59:09 PM »

Quote from: FRET   
Notch has officially trademarked Mining, Crafting, and the tools used for said actions.

Pretty much sum up my thought on terraria now  Giggle

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: May 22, 2011, 05:06:50 PM »

hmm -- according to that link (in post #64) there are rumors that valve considered buying minecraft but notch said no, and there are rumors that valve will instead buy terraria

P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: May 22, 2011, 05:17:27 PM »

]I don't even play Minecraft that often and I unintentionally run into redstone all the time, and I find enough diamond to mostly meet my need for tools. You're just extremely unlucky or not mining deep enough.

I found more than enough Redstone in my playtime (and never had a use for it) but could never manage enough diamonds.  I always wanted to save for a full set of diamond armor, of course.  But I guess for me that's one of my issues with Minecraft: The fairly temporary nature of your assets made me reluctant to ever upgrade from stone and wood, the only two materials that I felt I could rely on.  I'd forge an Iron Sword and usually save everything from there, just in case I ever wanted to build a railway or some special blocks.

Terraria's persistent items might curb the ultimate playtime of the game and take away some of the difficulty, but they also help me feel like I'm getting somewhere.  The first time I find a diamond in Minecraft might be a bit exciting, but my playstyle generally means that it's not going to change a damn thing. 

Noting that, I really enjoy Terraria's focus on adventuring.  It's thrilling to go spelunking not knowing what I might find (and there's a lot, so as long as I don't wikispoil myself there are still surprises in store) and not dumping everything on my person when I die means I can go adventuring at full potential without worrying about any huge setbacks.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2011, 04:12:14 AM »

it really adds all that was missing from minecraft, such as level bosses, tiered weapon drops and grindan

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: May 23, 2011, 05:05:04 AM »

If the terraria devs make 1/50th of the minecraft dough they will be lucky.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 23, 2011, 09:50:45 AM »

i have to say i really liked stranded games, but that was years ago
im9today
« Reply #190 on: May 23, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »

we have truly advanced as a society, people used to build things irl LOL
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: May 23, 2011, 10:14:26 AM »

I got to the end of the game, essentially, and it feels a bit disappointing. I've got all the best armor, I've been to all the biomes, and there are only a few items I don't have because only goblins drop them and I have yet to see any. There isn't really anything left to do at this point - no final boss, no more treasure to find, and heart crystals no longer do anything at all. Interestingly, I didn't feel the same way about Minecraft, and I think it's because of Terraria's focus on adventuring and leveling up. It seems like there should be something at the end that you have to do or fight. In Minecraft, once I had all the best stuff, I could just start making my house nicer, but in Terraria, that takes a lot more effort and there's a lot less to add to your house.
Anyway, aside from that, I really enjoyed the game. Hopefully they'll address this issue in an update at some point.
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: May 23, 2011, 01:13:30 PM »

I gave up on Terraria. There are free Flash games that do the progression and content-pacing aspects of an "action-survival" game much better. (ok, that one is more like SoM than Metroidvania, but it shares a lot of the themes. Close enough for me) That leaves us with dull procedural world, annoying water simulation, annoying digging, annoying house building, and multiplayer.

tso
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: May 23, 2011, 01:47:04 PM »

i dislike how the items don't degrade.  All the materials become obsolete when you get a decent amount of the next

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 23, 2011, 02:16:28 PM »

So you dislike how the digging isn't more annoying and pointless?  WTF
Zulaan
Level 2

┌∩┐(◕‿◕)┌∩┐

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 23, 2011, 02:48:14 PM »

i dislike how the items don't degrade.  All the materials become obsolete when you get a decent amount of the next

I like how items don't degrade...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:06:06 PM by Zulaan » Logged

I got twenty-five cans in my knapsack, crossin out the wick-wack
Puttin up my name with a fat cap
Dragonmaw
« Reply #196 on: May 23, 2011, 02:55:05 PM »

Given that it's not an infinite map and the heavy focus on combat, item degradation would be a terrible design choice.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 23, 2011, 03:01:47 PM »

I gave up on Terraria. There are free Flash games that do the progression and content-pacing aspects of an "action-survival" game much better. (ok, that one is more like SoM than Metroidvania, but it shares a lot of the themes. Close enough for me) That leaves us with dull procedural world, annoying water simulation, annoying digging, annoying house building, and multiplayer.
you will some what love under the garden then, where you play as some old geezer past his prime digging exploring a finite world and give up doing that and try to cram old Farmergnome games into the engine and see if you could play them.
AshfordPride
« Reply #198 on: May 24, 2011, 02:00:01 PM »

There's been a bit of hostility towards the Terraria team from 4chan, and if you aren't familiar with The Best Gamers, their "review" could definitely seem like some trollish attack by 4chan.

I just wanted to say, as someone who regularly browses 4chan, there's a lot more support for this game than there is hate.  It caught like wildfire, very much like Minecraft did in the early stages, and I wouldn't think I'd be wrong to say that a significant amount of sales were spurred by the constant discussion and love that the game received there.  There's nearly a constant general thread on the frontpage of /v/ talking about it, and more than a few multiplayer servers up made by 4chan users.

A few people choose to call the dev on being a massive tool, and that's fine.  But I just want to set the record straight, there's a massive fanbase for this game on 4chan.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: May 24, 2011, 02:04:32 PM »

Fair enough. I don't visit 4chan myself, so I was only basing that on what I'd read in the Something Awful thread and Blue's statement posted on the Terraria Online site.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic