Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 06:19:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTerraria: 1.2 ENDGAME EXPLOSION
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Terraria: 1.2 ENDGAME EXPLOSION  (Read 45359 times)
Kramlack
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »

More comparisons.

The style is very unique to Final Fantasy, there's no way it could've been coincidence.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 08:21:49 PM »

Were they ever going to release it with that art, though? Who says it wasn't just a placeholder?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 08:25:19 PM »

Were they ever going to release it with that art, though? Who says it wasn't just a placeholder?

What do you mean? They already did release it.

Oh. The media on their site has different art. My bad.
TRONMAXIMUM
Level 0

alpha six productions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 08:26:55 PM »

The game came out yesterday.

If it was just placeholder, it would be fine-- but they actually sold the game like this. Not only does it reek of incompletion from the graphic quality alone, but the blatantly stolen sprites in this commercial product have to be against the law.

And it is definitely not deserving of respect.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 08:27:51 PM »

The game came out yesterday.

If it was just placeholder, it would be fine-- but they actually sold the game like this. Not only does it reek of incompletion from the graphic quality alone, but the blatantly stolen sprites in this commercial product have to be against the law.

And it is definitely not deserving of respect.

We posted at the same time, so check the post above you.

EDIT: So apparently they RELEASED it with the FF sprites, but changed them soon after? Intriguing.

Personally, I don't think the game looks too great (graphically or game-play wise). And if they released it with the FF sprites, that's wrong, as said.
TRONMAXIMUM
Level 0

alpha six productions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 08:31:10 PM »

Yeah, I saw.

If the graphics have actually been updated, I'll eat my hat. This game still won't get my $10 though, there's nothing original about a 2D Minecraft with even lamer gameplay.

And it still looks ugly regardless.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 08:32:31 PM »

I'm surprised it got a steam release considering the condition it's in. I can't help but have a feeling that valve agreed to the steam release so they could ride the minecraft gravy/money train all the way to the poutine/bank.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:30:41 AM by Sean A. » Logged
Kramlack
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 08:33:34 PM »

Going to eat my hat as well on that. I still thinks it's stupid that they'd use that art in their trailers and their own lets play though. That's how stupid stuff like this happens.

As Alpha Six said, I don't plan to buy it, mainly because I rarely play PC games and even more rarely, PC indie games.

...Ride the mine gravy/money train all the way to the poutine/bank.

I laughed.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 09:56:22 PM »

Guess what maintains its position at number two on today's "Best Sellers" list and also has the current largest number of people playing online right now?

This game is becoming far more successful than I thought it would.  Then again, they pretty much have the whole Minecraft market of gamers to potentially get their game, so there's really not much way it couldn't have been successful.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 09:59:27 PM »

I rarely play PC games and even more rarely, PC indie games.

why the fuck are you here then, because it doesnt appear to me that you make them either
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 10:00:48 PM »

why the fuck are you here then, because it doesnt appear to me that you make them either

What a kind and thoughtful comment.

I, personally, don't have a lot of time to play games anymore; but I still enjoy discussing them, encouraging them, and helping people test them. I also don't make games.

I'm assuming the situation is similar, except he actually does work on games (artwork). So, yeah.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2011, 10:04:38 PM »

I played Terraria with two other friends today. It definitely has that "Minecraft" air about it, but because monsters are so much more dangerous and there's a lot more to interact with, it definitely has a lot more meat to it than Minecraft seems to. I've been enjoying it quite a lot. It's hardly a replacement, but it's definitely a solid game.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 10:09:49 PM »

Noticed Terraria on Steam a couple days ago. One glance and it was "Huh, platformer Minecraft" and then "Huh, those sprites are awfully familiar".

While I recognize the potential such a game holds for many gamers, it just doesn't tickle my fancy. I find it intriguing that Steam would allow a game in such a state to be released so early.

One would have thought they'd have learned the lesson at Magicka release. Steam is slowly losing my interest, but that may be because I can't install Steam games on mom's offline computer. Meh.
Kramlack
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 10:12:42 PM »

Haha, you're joking right? Figure out who you're talking to and say that again. Thanks.
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 10:18:04 PM »

As much as the sprites are pretty clearly... inspired, the game itself is actually pretty neat. Obviously its gameplay is reminiscent of Minecraft, but they did make some really interesting decisions in terms of gameplay which gives it a different feel (such as more focus on action). The idea that you're running a town that people actually move into instead of just building your own house is also kind of fun to play with. Give it a shot before you blow it off as another Minecraft ripoff - I was considering the same at first, but having played it, I actually think it's a fun game with its own style and gameplay.

Also, as much as people are really losing it about buggy games launching on Steam, you might also want to consider that a lot of those games have been indie games. Super Meat Boy and Magicka were both riddled with bugs when they first came out, but they were also unique and enjoyable games which would likely not have gotten nearly as much attention without Steam. Anybody who's worked on an indie game should be able to understand that bugs like that get through when, in the case of Magicka, you're an eight-man team developing a game for a university course, or in the case of Super Meat Boy, a two-man team. If anything, this shows that Valve is willing to give indies a chance at the market even when their games aren't as polished as a AAA title. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:24:52 PM by TheLastBanana » Logged
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 10:20:38 PM »

I played Terraria with two other friends today. It definitely has that "Minecraft" air about it, but because monsters are so much more dangerous and there's a lot more to interact with, it definitely has a lot more meat to it than Minecraft seems to. I've been enjoying it quite a lot. It's hardly a replacement, but it's definitely a solid game.
I'd tend to agree.  Sure, the graphics may be shit, but I enjoy the progression aspect of the game much more than the building and mining aspects.
DET. Defective
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2011, 11:20:40 PM »

Been following this since Super Mario Bros. X was hit with a cease and desist (which many have called it a fake). Looked awesome, and I was hoping they'd sort out the sprite thing before they went for a public release.

They DID change the sprites for the release, but they're still... very damned familiar. Like a blend between FF's 5 and 6.

(pictured, on the sides are two Terraria player characters, center is Biggs/Wedge from FF6)

Regardless, the game looks very fun, and I'm still looking forward to getting it when I've got the chance.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 12:46:32 AM »

So just checking: aren't the complaints against this game more of a "it's not fun in singleplayer" thing? I haven't bought this game, but I can imagine it being very boring on my own. Looks like fun with a couple of friends though.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 12:52:20 AM »

With friends, everything is fun.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 01:06:56 AM »

so it's not only shitty graphics, but stolen shitty graphics? wow...

At least I hope the gameplay is *very* good

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic