Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:26:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnother Time
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Another Time  (Read 1105 times)
Eugor
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2011, 01:34:40 PM »

Title: Another Time (to be changed I guess?)
Genre: 2D Puzzle Sidescroller

Initial idea: being able to warp between multiple dimensions of the same level. Some objects switch dimensions with you, others stay in only one. Level properties can also change, for example having a moon station that is intact in one dimension, but destroyed in the other, thus causing gravity to be zero.

Day 1 + 2:

First thing to do was obviously a prototype, which took me around 14 hours to finish. Main focus of this test was checking if everything is working flawlessly, which took really quite some time. I tried several different methods until I was able to handle the collisions correctly during dimension switches.

Result of the prototype:

(accidently recorded that music from an online radio. if anyone knows the song, pm me please)

Thoughts at the end of the day:

- Gameplay seems fun, but programming might cause some troubles
- Change dimensions with different timelines. This could tell a good story
- I really suck at making graphics. Gotta hide this somehow or find an artist
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:58:01 AM by Eugor » Logged
Eugor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »

Day 3

Initial thoughts: I should start working on making one good looking level, that contains many gameplay elements. This level should look the way I want it to be instead of a prototype. Gameplay elements need to be highlighted and the level should be some kind of tutorial.

To hide my bad artistic skills, I'll try to make the game dark, scary and very atmospheric. Sounds are very important for this, but should be easy and can be implemented near the end.

To avoid having to draw a character early, I'll just use whatever I find on google for now. This will help making the level look more finished.

I'll have to start learning pixel shaders today. Reading tutorials is hard when I see multiple pages to read, so I'll just learn it by trial and error. (Took until 6am)

Result of the day:

Thoughts at the end of the day:

- Game might be too dark
- Darkness could also be used for puzzles
- Shaders could use too much CPU power. I'll have to try it on a less powerful machine
- Sounds are very important after trying some background musics
- I need to stay motivated somehow. Write a devlog or something
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic